Have you decided not to weigh yourself daily? Please share:)

Options

Replies

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I only weigh every 2 weeks. Period the end. The rest of the time I take the battery out of my scale so I can stay away from it.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight for the first time at 17, I only weighed myself once (when I was at the doctor and her telling me I was borederline morbidly obese and gonna die from a ton of big people diseases) and then a year later after dedicated cardio and calisthenics and eating what I thought was healthy (smaller portions) and found out I lost about 30 pounds...that same doctor was happy to hear that. But now, I only weight once a week, on Fridays.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    After reading the forum post "why scales lie" I was just wondering of any of you decided not to weigh yourselves at all or a certain amount of time (weekly,monthly or whatever). My kids broke my scale 2 weeks ago I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a new one because it's been kind of nice not stressing over the number.

I don't weigh myself for months or weeks at a time. One day I will wake up and think, "I have lost weight, I should weigh myself", and so I do. I get too obsessed over a number, if I weigh every day, and it sparks negative thoughts and binge-eating. I think... When you wake up and have a, I-wonder-how-much-I-have-lost happy moment THEN go out and buy one. :) Pace yourself. :heart:
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself once a week. I do find that I sometimes weigh more often, but trying to resist.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed myself every day--I just try to do it about every 2 weeks or so. It's always nice to see that scale go down a lot, plus gives me a LOT of motivation to keep going!

^ This for me as well.

But --- I am thinking of weighing myself once a week as I get closer to my goal weight.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month and am doing well....in regard to my nerves as well as weight loss....:o).
    I do however weigh and measure everything I eat and so far have not had a cheat meal or day since I started in April 2013 . But I do not deprive myself of anything.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's hard and I haven't decided. I was shooting for once a week but as said earlier, what if the day before I have wine or something with high sodium and I end HIGH on my weigh in day?? That happened last week actually. I gained over a pound in one day from eating popcorn. It took 2 days to recover from that.

It really is more than a number on the scale tho. My jeans are comfortable now... number on the scale can't top the feeling of sliding your jeans on and they fit perfectly!! I'm not fooling myself. I haven't gained muscle but I have lost inches. A LOT of inches. When I gained the salt weight last week I checked my measurements bc I was so bummed about. I lost over 15 inches... beats the hell out of a 1 lb gain on the scale any day!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a week. But I haven't weighed myself for months now and when I do it's on the old scale at my gym so it's not very accurate, and even that I do very rarely, maybe once a month. I plan to sometimes then I just don't. I started lifting weights more and I noticed that I would see improvements in the way I looked but the number on the scale would either increase or stay the same, and I'd go from being happy to upset, but I realized that that doesn't make sense. I want to look good and I want to feel good and that doesn't have much to do with the number on the scale that no body sees but me...So I've finally gotten to a point where I'm not fixated on that anymore.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2x a day .. am and pm. I gained 8.2 lbs yesterday and lost 8.6 lbs overnight. So I never worry as I know that the weight will come off over time. This is the answer when it comes to the scale. Obsessing about the number .. is just a bad thing. So I never do it. But I am a very anal person .. but very very determined, so I know I will get to where I need to be.

But for me it is all about the trends .. and not the number. As long as that number goes down .. even by a small amount, I am happy. I don't like to plateau for more than 2 weeks. Fortunately that has never happened.

For me .. inches are way way more important than the scale. The scale just tells me if I am trending in the right direction.

If you are a person that obsesses about the number .. then that scale is not the best thing for you.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight 3 years ago I stepped on the scale every day. It was helpful to see the fluctuations and how what I ate affected the scale (I have a pretty accurate digital that shows ounces, etc). Then after I switched to maintenance (which I maintained for a year plus before my recent backslide) I weighed maybe once a month......for awhile and then as clothes began to be a tad uncomfortable, I stopped all together because I knew I wouldn't like what I saw. Now that I'm actively trying to lose weight I step on the scale about once a week but no more because I feel like it'll only cause more stress and this time around it's more about toning for me than the number on the scale.

Honestly if you're at a point where weight loss has slowed and you are heading towards maintenance, there's no need to step on it more than once a week or every two weeks. But ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. Best of luck to you!
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I like to see where I am. I weigh everyday. I look for trends. And hopefully, the trend is maintaining or going down. But it is a trend. And without that, I would give myself license to gain. I have to look at that number every single day. It is about being accountable - not really the specific number.

BTW, I also don't beat myself up over it. I know it is one day and that I have the power to change it.

THIS THIS THIS ^^^
    I weigh everyday for these exact reasons and it keeps me honest with myself.
  • scrocke
    scrocke Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, however I am more concerned with my measurements and how my clothes fit. If the scale reads the same for two weeks but my measurements say I lost an inch then that's progress!
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes, daily for me works--I realize the weight will fluctuate but I am really enjoying weighing daily so I can look at the chart in reports and see the line go down...sometimes it will probably go up, but as long as there is a downward trend, all is good ;)
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    once a week, first thing i wake up, after i pee, before eating or drinking. small fluctuations in a day can be very discouraging.
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    small fluctuations in a day can be very discouraging.
    I agree this is why I totally gave up a few months ago . But this time I'm not giving up no matter what I just want to make it more enjoyable :)
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would never weigh myself daily. Your weight changes daily - hell, hourly, even. It all relates to chemistry in some shape or form - water retention, sodium levels, if you're on your period, if you ate or didn't eat before you weighed yourself, etc.

I weigh myself every Saturday morning under the same exact conditions: I wake up, go to the bathroom, then weigh.

I like to kind of see what my body is thinking as the weeks go by, so that's why I weigh at all. I like to see patterns and correlations.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    once a week, first thing i wake up, after i pee, before eating or drinking. small fluctuations in a day can be very discouraging.

Yes once a week is good for me too. I started on a Wednesday so that is my weigh day.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I tried to do it once a week but found myself weighing every other day..especially when i was getting small losses..but after reading that post ..it just cleared everything..and my clothes are looser ..yet scales are showing no loss!
    Ive decided to weigh myself after a few weeks or 2 weeks ..i think that would be better for me
    I regret throwing out my old dial scale and buying a pricey digital one.
    I realised now numbers on the scale arent everything!
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a month and this is for my sanity. When I first started dieting, I will weigh myself before I work out and after. It was at the point where I will basically starve myself just to see pounds drops. I don't know if any other females have this problem but around my menstrual cycle, I tend to gain some weight from the bloating and that is another reason why i decided to weigh myself on the last day of the month because if we drink a lot of water the scale will say you gain some ounces or even having layers of clothes will add extra pounds to the scale. I knew weighing everyday will set myself up for failure so I started again with my diet on December 16 and I had my first weigh in December 31 and was down 16 lbs. I know its a lot of weight in a short period of time but starting off over 400 lbs and eating healthy, I thought it was normal. I have my second weigh in Jan. 31 and I can't wait =)

I wish everyone luck on their journey =)
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh myself once a month and chart that weight. I might step on the scale once a week to see where I stand in the interim. It helps keep me focused on eating in a way so that I don't get bloated and gives me a nudge if my resolve is slipping but I don't feel tied to the scale and that weekly weigh-in isn't written in stone, as far as I am concerned.

As a sort of experiment, I have weighed myself a few times over the course of two days. Mostly just to remind myself that weight fluctuations are normal and can be insane, even in the space of just a few hours and that I should not let it mess with my head. (My husband and I both thought the differences were just too funny, how could I have gained 3 pounds since breakfast?! Did I really lose 2 pounds just from going to the toilet!? Swimming in the pool made me weigh in almost 1.5 pounds more?!) It worked. I don't obsess daily over the number on the scale anymore and it's nice to have one less stress.