two quetsions

Options
Question 1: Is it better to work out first thing in the morning or in the evening?

Question 2: I am thinking about weighing 2 times a week to keep myself motivated and on track. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter when you work out, a calorie burned and exercise is a calorie burned and exercise, as long as you get out there and do it

as far as weighin in, its a personal preference, I do it once a week becuase weighing in a lot you can drive yourself crazy with just normal fluctuations in your weight
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Regarding working out - as jrich said, a calorie is a calorie, but I've read that people who work out at 6:45am tend to push harder and burn more calories than those working out at 6:45pm. That being said, most of my workouts happen after the kiddos are in bed for the night!

Regarding weighing - I weigh myself every morning, and many times throughout the day, I can't help it! I like to see what happens throughout the day, but I try not to get to stressed about the number,. I only log my weight on here once a week, on Wednesdays.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Exercise whenever you can/want. I weigh myself once per week. Water weight causes you to fluctuate so much that weighing too often can often be discouraging (i.e. lost a pound monday but gained two the next day) OR it can make you think you lost more than you actually did. But it is definitely a personal preference.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    1. Working out at anytime is good for you. Pick a time that works for you and go for it. Some people like to workout first thing in the morning because it gives them lots of energy during the day. It doesn't work for me because of my schedule, so I workout during my lunch break and it has worked great for me.

2. I weigh every single morning. It depends on the type of person you are. Are you going to obsess over the number or are you going to use it to motivate you to keep going? It is your choice!

You can do this!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Workout at whatever time fits best into your daily schedule. This will help you stick to a routine.
    They say it's best to weigh in once per week, at the same time of day. Most people choose first thing in the morning, before eating, after using the bathroom.

That being said... I personally feel best when I can workout in the morning; keeps me feeling energized all day. And I know, that no matter what happens during the rest of the day, no matter what I eat, I've atleast gotten that exercise in and out of the way! I'm also addicted to the scale and weigh in almost daily! :blushing: It's a double-edged sword though: seeing that drop on the scale puts me in a GREAT mood the rest of the day. But, seeing that small gain (which is perfectly normal and to be expected, since your weight fluctuates by a few lbs depending on water retention, etc.) or seeing the scale NOT move, can put me in a BAD mood! :explode: And yet, I keep doing it! Go figure! :tongue:
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Some people say its better to work out in the morning to start your day and get you moving and awake. Others say night because it makes you sleep. It's really personal preference. I work out more in the afternoon. About weighing...Well its a good and evil thing. I step on it every morning. I think it keep me in line but also know that there will be ups and downs. It does drive me a little bonkers. I would weigh once a week or even less. Measure yourself and go by the measuring tape if you want to see progress. Good Luck
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I like to exercise in the morning because it keeps me positive throughout the day. Not to mention I am dragging my butt by the evening and I don't "push" myself as much as I can earlier in the day... Some days I work out both morning and evening so its all up to you

as far as weighing myself I am crazy about it and do it too much but only log once a week. I am trying to only weigh in once a week but that hasn't happened yet!!!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Just as long as you exercise, it doesn't matter when you do it. I've never been a morning person and the quickest way for me to give up on exercise would be having to do it in the morning. So I prefer after work or mid afternoon on the weekends.

As for weighing...I don't bother unless I feel something change in my clothing (either fitting looser or, yikes, fitting tighter), then its more for curiosity's sake. At least this way I get a super surprise -- for the good, as of late -- when I finally do hop on and find that I'm several pounds lighter.