Verbal Abuse @ Gym

Options
so i'm 5'0" and 95lbs. i'm a fairly small girl who started lifting and squatting over a month ago. at first i was intimidated going to the gym and using the weights because it's mostly big dudes that occupy that area. i got over it eventually and ive definitely become a lot stronger.

today at the gym, i went to the squatting area and this trashy girl was standing around, rly close to the squatting rack i was using. she was openly talking about cocaine use and once she noticed that i was gonna use the rack she said loudly to the guy she was talking to "is this real life? is she actually going to squat? wtf?". the barbell was set higher than i needed it to be, and usually i ask someone else to help me lower it because my arms arent as strong yet. after someone helped me she started talking **** again, "wow wtf she can't even carry the barbell, shes ridiculous". when i started squatting, she continued to talk trash about me but saying the same thigns over and over. i didnt pay her any attention because i could tell she was either srsly insecure or bored.

what truly bothers me tho, is when people loiter in the gym, especially when they loiter AND get in your way/distract you. my gym is barely supervised and the front desk receptionists are indifferent and part time workers. should i even address this issue to them? i dont ever want to encounter that girl again, or any sort of douchiness that interrupts my workout.

Replies

• transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY alert the staff about it. Odds are, you aren't the first person she's been a righteous **** at, and they will have to address the issue of her antisocial behaviour.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    WHAT?????!!!!

I'd straight up smack a *****!
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Chances are, you probably won't ever see her at the gym again. It doesn't sound like she was there working out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    WHAT?????!!!!

:laugh: i'd just say something equally rude about her appearance

but OP, i would seriously suggest if that happened again you alert a gym staff about her
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Bottom line you lifted - she wasted the same amount of time talking ****.
    Report her - not sure if it will be beneficial / change anything but still... you done your bit.
    Next time - headphones on - volume up eyes locked on the mirror( if any) and lift - don't let distractions get on your way!
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    WHAT?????!!!!

:laugh: i'd just say something equally rude about her appearance

but OP, i would seriously suggest if that happened again you alert a gym staff about her

tbh she was rly rly out of shape which is partly why i didn't give her attn because shes more than likely trying to make herself feel better. i also had a feeling that she just wanted to get a reaction out of me, she was standing like a metre away from me acknowledging that i was able to hear her
  • wargrrl
    Options
    Bottom line you lifted - she wasted the same amount of time talking ****.
    Report her - not sure if it will be beneficial / change anything but still... you done your bit.
    Next time - headphones on - volume up eyes locked on the mirror( if any) and lift - don't let distractions get on your way!

yeah despite her talking **** i still had a really good leg day :) just wish there was like a no loitering policy at my gym... too many people stand around... sit on machines (not resting just chilling)....
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You should always be polite and helpful in situations like these. The politically correct thing to do would be to explain that this is a gym and if she is looking for social hour, that it can be found elsewhere. Below is an example of our politically correct statement of the day!:

Excuse me Miss, but this is a Gym. Shut the FV@& up and lift something! If you are looking for a John for the evening, I'm certain that the receptionist can direct you to a nearby hotel lobby or truck stop." :bigsmile:

Please remember to smile when using politically correct statements, This helps the other person realize that you are sincerely attempting to help them achieve their current goals...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i noticed you outlined your size but not hers? why?

if you see her again and you get the sense she's even going to get started on the same path alert a worker from the start.

it's not really verbal "abuse" that's way more harsh. she was more like trash talking. which is appropriate since she seemed trashy. was there a guy with her? maybe he was checking you out and she had to say stuff to put you down to keep his attention (in her mind). all of this was going on in her mind you know, if you'd had headphones like suggested none of this would be ur issue at all. it still "shouldn't" be but who can ignore behavior like that? i know I find it hard so I don't blame you for being upset.

just don't exaggerate the situation it's bad enough as it is you don't have to give it a fancy name like "verbal abuse" to get the help you need from the workers, just tell them she's out of line and stick with the facts.

i doubt she'll be there again. she sounds like a loser.
  • wargrrl
    Options
    You should always be polite and helpful in situations like these. The politically correct thing to do would be to explain that this is a gym and if she is looking for social hour, that it can be found elsewhere. Below is an example of our politically correct statement of the day!:

Excuse me Miss, but this is a Gym. Shut the FV@& up and lift something! If you are looking for a John for the evening, I'm certain that the receptionist can direct you to a nearby hotel lobby or truck stop." :bigsmile:

Please remember to smile when using politically correct statements, This helps the other person realize that you are sincerely attempting to help them achieve their current goals...

hahah :p oh so correct.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    In my experience, gym employees enjoy their polite regular members.
    I'm going to assume this is you and not her.
    You're probably kind and friendly to the staff, yes?
    Tell them. They will help you.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Make friends with one of those big muscly types - I'm sure you'll find a guy who will be more than happy to spot you while you lift, encourage you, and talk your ear off about his training regime.

You'll have a new training buddy and silly insecure girl will be so green with envy that she'll have to go bother someone else. After all, my guess is that she's just there to wear skimpy clothing and try to pick up.