Restaurants within walking distance of my office

Options
The following are all within walking distance of my office.

FAST FOOD
=========
DQ Grill & Chill
Arby's
Costco food court
Hot dog vendor at Lowe's
Moe's

SIT DOWN
=========
Chili's
Olive Garden
Longhorn Steakhouse
Red Robin
Independent deli (2)
Independent Chinese restaurant

Looking for healthy food suggestions at any of the above ..

I walked on Monday but couldn't think of anything overly "healthy" to eat so I just went back to the office and ate a sandwich instead. My preference would be a fast food place as opposed to sit down restaurant on account of time.

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Check out this website:
    http://healthydiningfinder.com/

It breaks down what the best choices are at each of the restaurants around you.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Fast food is just that... Fast food...

Even if you think you are getting a good meal, you'll probably never know exactly HOW MUCH sodium/fat etc. that are hidden away.

Your best bet, take time the night before and prep your meals for the next day - put them in the fridge for the next day. Then you're off to a good start in the morning without any effort - makes your day WAY easier!

Cheers!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I like Moe's and Red Robin b/c they have their nutritional info online in a customizable format. So you can play around with exactly what you would like to order and know what you are getting yourself into calorie-wise. They both offer whole wheat bread alternatives, and at Red Robin I usually do a lettuce bun. Just remember to stay away from the condiments! I know you can healthy at both of those places. I don't eat at the other restaurants, so can't speak to their options.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Longhorn: Salmon salad... or salmon meal. Or pork chops. Veggies with no butter or light butter. Sweet Potato.

Olive Garden: pasta with marinara sauce. Venetian Apricot Chicken.

I know you were looking for fast food... but this is all I have. haha. Call ahead of time... it'll be ready when you get there! :)
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My "Eat This, Not That" book says:

Arby's Eat This: Arby's Melt, Roast Chicken Fillet Sandwich, Potato Cakes (2)
    Not This: Market Fresh Roast Turkey & Swiss, Roast Ham & Swiss Sandwich, Chopped Farmhouse Crispy Chicken Salad, Curly Fries (Small)

Dairy Queen Eat This: All Beef Chili Cheese Dog, DQ Original Cheeseburger, Pancake Platter, Hot Fudge Sundae
    Not This: Chicken Strip Basket w Country Gravy, Grilled Flame Thrower Chicken Sandwich, Ultimate Hash Browns, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard

Chili's: From burgers to baby back ribs, Chili's serves up some of the country's saltiest, fattiest fare. Worse amoung the offenders are the burgers, fajitas, and appetizers, including the 2,130 calorie onion string & cripsy jalapeno stack. The guiltless grill menu is Chili's attempt to offer healthier options, but with only 8 items and an average sodium content of 1,323 milligrams, it's a meager attempt at nutritional salvation.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I just looked up Longhorn's because we're likely going there tonight. The Sierra Chicken and Citrus Chicken are low calorie options as well. They have their nutrition information online.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Fast food is just that... Fast food...

Even if you think you are getting a good meal, you'll probably never know exactly HOW MUCH sodium/fat etc. that are hidden away.

Your best bet, take time the night before and prep your meals for the next day - put them in the fridge for the next day. Then you're off to a good start in the morning without any effort - makes your day WAY easier!

Cheers!

Even if you don't brown bag it every day it is a great way to save A LOT of calories AND cash!
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Chili's, read it and weep:

http://www.chilis.com/EN/Nutritional Information/Chilis_Nutrition_Menu_Generic.pdf

While it is possible to order something workable from the calorie standpoint if you're very careful, you really can't get away unscathed on the sodium side.