Help! Myths vs truths, advice, and being realistic

I am at my wits end. I've made some really, really stupid choices (put of desperation) such as eating 500 calories a day or eating only chocolate (this is a "diet") both of which were ineffective and caused me to gain about 5 lbs. I started to spend time on unhealthy forums that endorsed starvation and chocolate-only diets, and I now have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I want to do this right and I want to do it wisely.
So, please don't judge my past decisions :c
Anyway, I'm at my highest weight now, 105. I have 0 muscle at the moment, so my body fat percentage is higher than I'd like. If I could lose 10 lbs before summer, and then start gaining muscle over the summer, this would be perfect.
I'm 5'2, and my maintenance is ~1450.
What should I eat? I was going to eat 1200 calories a day of healthy food every day with a "cheat day."
How should I exercise? I have a treadmill, p90x, and bodybeast. I don't know which to do. I have fat concentrated in my thighs and stomach/love handle area. I reaallly need advice here.
Basically, it's interfering with my life and my studies. My clothes don't fit, as they fit the old lean me.
Please, and specific advice you have or tips, as well as estimates of how long this will take to lose 10 lbs, I'd really appreciate.
I want to start feeling healthy.
Also, I'm confused about eating often vs. eating in a time window, having a cheat day vs. not having a cheat day, eating back exercise calories vs. not, etc. There is so much contradictory information out there and I don't know what to do.
So, 10 lbs in 4 and a half months: possible? And if so, best way to get it?

Replies

• lotr4000
    lotr4000 Posts: 25 Member
    Super Shred, or Shred: The Revolutionary Diet.

Super Shred = 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Shred = 20 lbs in 6 weeks. Although the goal of the diet is really to develop healthy eating habits.

You won't know how many calories you're eating (except for putting them in here at MFP).

It tells you exactly what to eat, exactly what portions to eat, and exactly what time to eat it. Every. Day.
    Then it tells you what to do for your exercise and for how long to do it for. Every. Day.

It's basically a way to get your metabolism back on track, and develop long term healthy eating habits when it comes to times and portion sizes.

Like, I was never a breakfast person before, but I'm going through it now and waking up feeling like I could eat is so so weird for me. I set alarms, and carry my snacks/meals around with me that I've put together the night before.

That's anecdotal, of course. But anyway, there's my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    I am confused. Did you say you weigh 105 or need to lose 105?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    At the height of 5'2" and 105 lbs your current BMI is 19.2 which is the low end of normal.
    Maybe you should talk to a professional about your goals...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am at my wits end. I've made some really, really stupid choices (put of desperation) such as eating 500 calories a day or eating only chocolate (this is a "diet") both of which were ineffective and caused me to gain about 5 lbs. I started to spend time on unhealthy forums that endorsed starvation and chocolate-only diets, and I now have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I want to do this right and I want to do it wisely.
    Anyway, I'm at my highest weight now, 105. I have 0 muscle at the moment, so my body fat percentage is higher than I'd like. If I could lose 10 lbs before summer, and then start gaining muscle over the summer, this would be perfect.
    What should I eat? I was going to eat 1200 calories a day of healthy food every day with a "cheat day."
    How should I exercise? I have a treadmill, p90x, and bodybeast. I don't know which to do. I have fat concentrated in my thighs and stomach/love handle area. I reaallly need advice here.
    Basically, it's interfering with my life and my studies. My clothes don't fit, as they fit the old lean me.
    Please, and specific advice you have or tips, as well as estimates of how long this will take to lose 10 lbs, I'd really appreciate.
    Also, I'm confused about eating often vs. eating in a time window, having a cheat day vs. not having a cheat day, eating back exercise calories vs. not, etc. There is so much contradictory information out there and I don't know what to do.

You want to lose weight at 105lbs??? really???

Sounds like you need to do a body recomp. Starting to feel healthy has nothing to do with your weight. It has to do with your unhealthy relationship with food.

If you are unhappy with the way you look due to lack of muscle mass and the look of being soft and squishy what you need to do is start eating enough food to fuel your body (btw based o starts your maintenance is 1574) and strenght train.

Eat that with a 10% deficet, start strenght training and eat some protien.

I can tell you that if you go down to 95lbs you wont be healthy, you should and could weight between 108-141 with the average being about 125.

There are tonnes of woman on this site who lift and weigh what you might consider too much but they are smaller then women who weigh less...
    First off all your goals are very realistic. And you can do this without so much worry and stress.
    No they are not...she weighs 105lbs and wants to lose 10lbs...
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    You seem to be in a better place now and realize some of your past errors. Try to stay that way. Always try to include some type of positive reading material, motivational podcasts, etc. as part of your day. Transforming your body is probably takes as much mental effort as physical. You are very young, and hopefully have a long life ahead of you. Learning to do the right things now will help you for the rest of your life, so I commend you for moving in a positive direction.
    IMHO, you need to just start building muscle now. Probably no need to lose more weight.
    Put your information in MFP and set your calories to maintain your weight. Eat that way for about 2 months and see how you feel and see if you are gaining or losing weight. Then adjust as needed.
    If that is what you have to work with, then I suggest Body Beast. It will be your best bet to build some muscle. I'm not familiar with how it suggests you calculate calories, but it is probably more than you need since you are female. If body beast has instructions for female lifters, then follow those and ignore my earlier suggestion about using MFP mainenance calories. These ladies can probably help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1009327-body-beast-women-s-group
    As I said earlier - you are young - so don't be in a hurry. Focus less on the lbs and focus more on feeling and just looking better. If you feel and look better but don't lose any weight - would you really care? Also don't get lost in the more advanced topics like eating windows, cheat days, etc. Eating back exercise calories is an MFP thing, so don't worry about it if you are doing one of the Beachbody programs you mentioned.

Since you have them, I think doing a round of Body Beast to bulk a little, then a round of P90x to cut would be great for you. I'd suggest you just do exactly as they say - eat according to their nutrition plans, and exercise according to the DVDs. Don't try to outsmart the programs you have already paid for and don't try to come get more advice from the MFP forum - it will only confuse the issue. That will take you about 6 months, then you can re-evaluate and go from there.

Good luck! Of course feel free to PM me if you have any questions related specifically to my suggestions.
  • SezxyStef
    If that is what you have to work with, then I suggest Body Beast. It will be your best bet to build some muscle. I'm not familiar with how it suggests you calculate calories, but it is probably more than you need since you are female. If body beast has instructions for female lifters, then follow those and ignore my earlier suggestion about using MFP mainenance calories. These ladies can probably help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1009327-body-beast-women-s-group

Since you have them, I think doing a round of Body Beast to bulk a little, then a round of P90x to cut would be great for you. I'd suggest you just do exactly as they say - eat according to their nutrition plans, and exercise according to the DVDs. Don't try to outsmart the programs you have already paid for and don't try to come get more advice from the MFP forum - it will only confuse the issue. That will take you about 6 months, then you can re-evaluate and go from there.

Good luck! Of course feel free to PM me if you have any questions related specifically to my suggestions.

To bulk muscle you need to eat at a surplus and you will gain weight, some of it fat. Based on what is needed for body beast is
    E-Z Curl Bar
    Workout Bench with adjustable back (alternative: premium stability ball)
    Chin-Up Bar (alternative: resistance bands)
    Supplements specifically developed for Body Beast:
    Shake is formulated to help maximize new muscle growth and reduce muscle breakdown—at the same time.*
    Fuel Shot kick-starts your recovery and accelerates muscle endurance, size, and strength.*
    M.A.X. Creatine gives you a blast of extra strength and muscle growth plus speeds up muscle recovery.*
    Super Suma helps amp up your body's own hormone production, muscle strength, size, and endurance.*

No power rack? no squat rack? no standard bar?

Yah no. but it sure does sell those supplements.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    At the height of 5'2" and 105 lbs your current BMI is 19.2 which is the low end of normal.
    I agree. You're 18. If you used to be 95 lbs., you probably were not done growing into adulthood.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    I just jumped on a BMI calculator because I'm nosey, and dropping 5 pounds would put you in the underweight range. Instead of cutting calories, you may want to eat at maintenance, maintain your weight and, as previous posters have mentioned, strength train to lose inches. That way you get the best of both worlds: clothes fit better and you keep a healthy weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    E-Z Curl Bar
    Shake is formulated to help maximize new muscle growth and reduce muscle breakdown—at the same time.*
    Fuel Shot kick-starts your recovery and accelerates muscle endurance, size, and strength.*
    M.A.X. Creatine gives you a blast of extra strength and muscle growth plus speeds up muscle recovery.*
    Super Suma helps amp up your body's own hormone production, muscle strength, size, and endurance.*

Sounds legit
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    you are underweight and you say you have no muscle. take professional advice from a doc and avoid DIY. you did it in the past and didn't work. avoid damaging your health even further.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Don't worry about losing weight, worry about body composition and building muscle. That will get your where you want to be without starvation diets or being severely underweight.
  • SezxyStef
    First off all your goals are very realistic. And you can do this without so much worry and stress.
    No they are not...she weighs 105lbs and wants to lose 10lbs...

And at her height that's not exactly unhealthy. It might be on the low end of normal, but that doesn't mean she's got a raging eating disorder and needs to seek immediate treatment. Some people have petite frames.

I figure she knows her body better than you or I. Depending on her body shape her goals could be reasonable. What I recommended was sensible and healthy.

95lbs is not a healthy weight for a woman who is 5 ft 2. She is already below the "low end" of normal of 108.

What you recommened what that a woman who has admitted to borderline eating disorder who is underweight lose more weight....how is that sensible? or healthy????
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Don't worry about losing weight, worry about body composition and building muscle. That will get your where you want to be without starvation diets or being severely underweight.
    This. ^ Need more proof? Read These awesome threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169184-don-t-lift-they-said-you-ll-look-like-a-man-they-said
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I agree. You're 18. If you used to be 95 lbs., you probably were not done growing into adulthood.

^^^^ this. You have a grown woman's body now, don't aim to have an adolescent's body, it's not possible to grow backwards, and really why would you want to look like an adolescent rather than a grown woman?

and you need to start building your muscles up rather than keeping on trying to lose weight. For health reasons mostly (I'm sure you don't want to suffer from osteoporosis, but also because what looks good aesthetically is a fit, strong body, rather than a weak, wasted one.
  • SezxyStef

Recognizing the bad decisions of your past is important, this way you won't repeat them.

Are you sure you're eating enough? I know you're not very tall, but that's a pretty low calorie count. I don't want you to think you ever have to starve yourself to lose weight. Yes you can have cheat days, you can have cheat meals, whatever you want to do. You don't need to rush to get the weight off. 10lbs is not much at all. But you want it to come off the right way.

Good advice that you'll hear from a lot of people are that a mix of cardio and strength training is the way to go.

You can eat whenever you want, meal timing makes no difference.

You should try to lose half a pound a week, if that. I think you'd mostly benefit from eating a healthy diet in moderation, running, and lifting weights. After that just drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. Keep it simple and make it something you can do for the rest of your life, instead of a temporary fix.

Mostly just know that you can do this. It's not as hard as you think and can even be enjoyable. It takes time, effort, and trial and error, but you'll get there.

Best of luck to you.
    I recommended she up her calories, eat in moderation, have cheat days and cheat meals. If you think that's encouraging an eating disorder I don't know what to tell you.

You may have said all that but you started with an unhealthy recommendation and saying her goals were realistic????

How is a woman who is 18, 5ft 2 and 95lbs healthy? That puts her 13lbs under the lowest weight she should be.

I think that is encouraging an eating disorder and chances are if there is one that's all she saw.

*shakes head*

That is a goal of Pro Ana girls posted on websites like MPA...
  • Good morning :) There is an excellent article (sorry if someone already posted this) that will help you figure out your numbers- it is such an individual issue. No one has exactly the same numbers. That being said, I'm 5'2". I'm eating between 1600-1700 cals. most days and exercising most days to lose weight. I highly recommend a heart rate monitor so you can be most effective when you're inputting calories burned- you won't be guessing, you'll be accurate.
    Above all, choose health. The number on the scale is just one benchmark of health.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member

This.
    My bmi is around 19 and I'm at the low end of the healthy range. I couldn't afford to lose another 5lbs, let alone 10lbs. I'm very strict about making sure I don't lose any more weight and I eat over 2,000 calories. With what you've posted, it sounds like it may be time to get some ED counseling as well as get a referral to a dietician so you can start working towards both physical And mental good health.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member

To bulk muscle you need to eat at a surplus and you will gain weight, some of it fat. Based on what is needed for body beast is
    E-Z Curl Bar

Please notice that I said that if it is all she has to work with, then do Body Beast. I never said Body Beast was better than a barbell program. I took the approach of trying to provide advice based upon what was asked in her original question, and those options are a treadmill, P90x, or Body Beast.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    There is so much contradictory information out there and I don't know what to do.

Don't you think you'd only get more contradictory information on a forum? See a professional. He wouldn't give you any advice without seeing you in person and assessing you properly.
    I doubt the same diet or exercise regime advice fits young girls, obese people and bodybuilders.
  • ILoveGingerNut

This.
    My bmi is around 19 and I'm at the low end of the healthy range. I couldn't afford to lose another 5lbs, let alone 10lbs. I'm very strict about making sure I don't lose any more weight and I eat over 2,000 calories. With what you've posted, it sounds like it may be time to get some ED counseling as well as get a referral to a dietician so you can start working towards both physical And mental good health.

:heart: