How do you manage to fit it all in?!

Options
How do you manage to fit it all in?! The work, exercise, family, social life. I work full time. I'm married. Have a busy social life. I know I should "make time" for myself but I'm always overcome with this huge feeling of guilt because after a long day of work, I come home make supper, do dishes, get to spend about 2 or 3 hours of quality time with my husband (we don't have children) and then its time to go to bed to be rested up for another long day of work. I know I have the time on the weekends, I don't work weekends but I'm usually so worn out by the weekends its hard to stay or re-motivate myself. Now before everyone suggests working out with my husband, you should know he is not interested in exercising, nothing I've been able to suggest or the doctor has motivated him to do anything remotely close to exercising, he works in heavy duty trailer part sales and stands for 8 hours out of the day (won't even sit on a stool) so he would rather relax on the couch. So I feel guilty. We've been married for 7.5 years, I don't know why I feel the guilt. How do I get over this feeling of guilt? :frown:

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How are you fitting this in? Stop making excuses and carve time for yourself.
    Wait why are you feeling guilty? 2 to 3 hours every night and weekends is plenty of time to spend with someone, if he doesn't want to do active things with you then it's not like you'll never see each other.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty for wanting to make a healthy change in your life. It will give you SO many more Enjoyable years with your husband! And we need to make time for ourselves!

As to fitting it all in, it does seem overwhelming at times but the key is to make the time for YOU. You will be so much happier and healthier for it. If nighttime exercise doesn't work, try morning workouts. If mornings are tough, fit it in during your lunch break. I have a desk job and I try to at least get up and move around every hour, whether it is taking the long way around the office to get some paperwork or walking to an office to ask the question instead of picking up the phone. Every little step you make is a change for the better. Start small and then it won't feel so unachievable.

Good luck to you!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Take an hour of that quality time with your husband and make it quality time for yourself.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am also married, no children, with a husband that is not interested in exercising. I also have a demanding job that is rarely less than 50 hours a week (plus commuting time). I suggest you have an upfront discussion with your husband about your fitness goals, and what it is going to take - maybe he can help with making dinner a couple of nights a week.

You said it in your post: you have to MAKE the time to exercise. I walk at lunch time 2-3 times a week. I go to the gym after work 2-3 times a week. I run, or play tennis, or go to the gym, or walk, or go to yoga, or (you get the point) Sat and Sun. If you are a morning person, consider getting up earlier to work out then, or go into your job a little earlier to free up time in the evening or at lunch.

There is no free time sitting around waiting for you, you have to make it. If you consider your fitness goals as part of your normal life obligations (like cooking dinner) you will make time.

Don't try to do too much all at one. I started by walking 1-2 days a week for 15-20 minutes at lunch, and going to the gym for 30-45 minutes after work (have a snack first!). See what works for you. You may find you want to do more, and then you make more time for it.

Hang in there!

(full disclosure, I am currently between jobs, and am working out much more than I was, but I did this routine for well over 2.5 years, and expect to do it again once I find my next gig).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Damn I thought this was about something else... *exits thread and retrieves mind out of gutter*
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you want something bad enough, you'll make the time for it.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Workout for 15 minutes a day. Have you tried doing air squats for 15 minutes non stop? It's almost impossible and your legs will burn. You don't have to go to the gym for 1 hour or walk on the treadmill for 1 hour. You just need to 'elevate' your heart rate for 15 minutes with almost 0 break. These are called AMRAP(As many reps as possible). You can make it 5, 10, 15, 20 min, whatever you want. Take 0 or minimal breaks and make that your goal.

Try skipping rope(if you have room outside) for 15 minutes.

or

air squats for 15 minutes

or

pushups for 15 minutes

or

burpees for 15 minutes

or

situps for 15 minutes

or

walking lunges for 15 minutes
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Damn I thought this was about something else... *exits thread and retrieves mind out of gutter*

LOL <3
  • theresap1031
    theresap1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You have to take care of yourself. I work full time and have two small children. It seems selfish but I am a better Mom and Wife when I exercise and take care of myself because I am happier and have more energy. Plus it means my kids and husband will have me for a longer time. As for social life, try to include exercising in your social life. take a Zumba class with friends or work out together at gym with friends if your husband won't go. You'd be shocked when he sees how great you look and how much more energy you have it may motivate him.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have my son (he's 19 but he is still a child), my husband, pets, a 4br house, a huge yard with a garden, tonnes of flowers, my friends, my family (24 of them) and I am wore out on the weekends too...

I still make time to exercise while my husband zombies himself in front of his game...or TV. He is a power engineer and works hard 12 hour shifts...

That to me...sitting beside my husband on the couch watching tv is not quality time.

He doesn't workout either.

I made myself a priority end of discussion.

Not sure why you feel guilt? does you husband for vegging after a short 8 hour day??? doubtful.

Sounds more like an excuse to me. My life is as busy if not busier then a lot of other people and I still manage to make that time for me...you either want it or you don't...
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 every morning, and get it done!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I first started this about 3 years ago. My solution is that I workout in the morning before work. Yea, it sucks getting up so early, but when I come home from work, I have the time to spend with him. You get used to it after awhile. He also has a demanding job, so he's not a fan of the gym, although he does have a membership. He comes a couple times a week if he doesn't have to up for work super early. BUT- just talk with him. You deserve time to make yourself better and to get healthy for you. When it's nicer outside, we'll take walks on the weekends- you get some activity in, plus you're spending time together. Or, have him help prepare dinner if you'd rather go to the gym after work. I'll have my guy grill up some chicken while I'm at the gym and I'll prepare the sides when I get home so dinner's done quickly. You just have to get wise with your time- you'll figure it out if this is something that really is important to you. Good luck :smile:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    What does your 2-3 hours of quality time with your husband consist of? Is it talking and doing things together? or watching tv together? Sorry if its TV, then go in another room and do a workout.

I workout in the AM, and before you say "I'm not a morning person" neither am I ! I'm a natural night owl, always have been since I was a baby. BUT it was the only time to fit it in. Sadly, I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours of time with my husband in a week - combined time.... gosh thats probably pushing it unless you count dinner time.

I work full time, have two kids and a second job and attempt a social life somtimes. But, I've got to get it done.

I'm currently doing T25, so its 30 minutes in the morning. My cholestoral is better, I've lost weight, I feel so much better than when I was younger. Make that 30 minutes and you'll be amazed! Seriously.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    All the replies are correct-"You have to make the time yourself." Why can't your husband make dinner 1-2 nights a week. Or let him know that before you start dinner you are going to take a 15-20 minute walk. IF you do that a few days a week it will help motivate you. I get up at 5:00am and workout either at home or at the gym. Again I make the time. My husband is not a morning person so it works pout perfectly for me. But when night comes I am ready to take a break.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to exercise? I ask this because I'm married, two older kids, work full time and have an hour commute each way to work and by the time I get home, make dinner and clean up I have no desire what so ever to exercise. It's not so much guilt as it is lack of motivation. I just don't seem to have the drive right now to exercise, it's just easier to cut calories and lose weight that way. I do walk on my lunch hours which is the time of day I have energy, so I would suggest trying something like that if you are concerned about quality time with your husband.

Any chance your husband would like to go for walks after dinner? That would be a great way to get exercise and spend time together.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many people wish they had 2 or 3 hours a day with nothing to do but be in the company of their spouse or kids or friends? You have plenty of time to fit in exercise. Just do it. The guilt will work itself out.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I combine quality time with my husband with my shower.

And I combine my social life with my workouts. It seems I rarely see my friends in regular no workout clothes these days.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Why can't you and your husband do active things together during your 2-3 hours of quality time? Like something as simple as go for a walk together?

You also are an adult and don't have to say yes to every social invite you receive. If someone is butthurt that you won't go out for drinks or dinner every single week, well, they might not be worth having around.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    That's what she said.