Ladies: Can I please vent?

Options
So I've been kicking butt, running and dong 30 day shred working out 5 days a week, and walking at work 3-5 miles a day. Eating healthy too. This week I ovulate and shot up 5 pounds. I am not sure if that's why, but I know it's not "true" weight gain. It is so frustrating that two weeks a month I gain weight. I'm on birth control and was told that would help even things out, but it doesn't feel that way. Time to go drink a ton of water... Sorry for the vent ladies, I just had to get that out. I know this is a lifelong journey and I need to be patient, but it can be so disheartening.

Replies

• hammersoaps
    Options
    Because my weight is all over the place during certain times of the month, I try to avoid weighing myself during those times. I know everyone says to look for the downward trend, and they are right, but it still doesn't stop me from being a bit discouraged. You've got a good attitude and you recognize the weight gain as temporary. I think that is half the battle right there. Hang in there and vent when you have to,
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to how my cycle effects my weight.
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain!!!! I think I only lose weight one week out of the month... Wahhh!
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I weight myself everyday mostly because I like numbers, but now that I've seen the trend where each month it goes up a few pounds , so it's less startling for me. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I go up 3-4 pounds before my period, and it comes right back off after. Just skip that weigh in, and save yourself the worry!
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not on birth control and I still experience 2-3lbs gain during ToM. Yes, it's annoying, but just know that you really aren't "gaining back" the weight.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    No worries. My weight shoots up 4 pounds in water weight during every cycle, and then it comes off when it is over. I freaked out about this at first as well when I started tracking my weight loss regularly.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Try to change your mindset that it's about the weight. It's about getting healthy. If you are active and eating right (doesn't mean it has to be 'clean' or any other buzz word, just keeping your calories at a deficit), you will lose weight. Focus on the things you are doing, how your body is changing and how you are feeling rather than the number on the scale.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I understand the need to vent and I accept and welcome your venting! I do that with the other counselors and social workers at work (I'm a school counselor). Sometimes it's just got to be said, then you feel better. :drinker: :sad: :grumble:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    it's water weight and it will go away.
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I weigh myself every day (and I do believe that doing this is the main reason I've been able to stay focused and motivated).

After 2 or three months, I put the graphs of my weight loss next to each other. You know what? The 2 or 3 pound gains were at the same time of every month. And then a few days later, I lost those couple pounds PLUS some. The graph was always trending downward, even with these gains.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain!!!! I think I only lose weight one week out of the month... Wahhh!

Yeah, me too...sometimes I squeak out a second week. I weigh in tomorrow and I know it will be either the same or possibly up a pound or two. That being said, I'm better with "stay the same". I still hate seeing the scale go up!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am glad I am not alone in this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My weight always jumps around that time of the month. I already expect it so it doesn't bother me.
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Yeah, me too...sometimes I squeak out a second week. I weigh in tomorrow and I know it will be either the same or possibly up a pound or two. That being said, I'm better with "stay the same". I still hate seeing the scale go up!

Snap.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    It is totally natural and normal for your body weight to fluctuate
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Weight is but a number. How are your clothes fitting? How are you FEELING, emotionally and physically? How's your energy level? Use more than just a number on a scale to determine your success!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    My scales always shoot up 1kg or so when I'm due. Its actually a good reminder for me to make sure I'm *ahem* prepared for whats going to happen for me that day, as I'm not on the pill so my cycle can vary a bit. I know its happening, so doesn't bother me now. It used to - but not anymore.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. It goes away. You aren't actually fatter.. Weight is just a number
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I 100% understand! And actually ranted on my page about this last week! I have been on the pill for a few years (7?) and it made me gain a lot of weight in the beginning, I never lost it! I still go up and down around my TOM! Just ignore it :) it will make you feel good when it goes back down haha xx