Draining Ground Beef

Options
We raise our own beef and so I'm no sure what the fat content of it is. If I crumble the beef in pan, brown it, and then drain it as much as possible can I count it as 95/5 ground beef? Or should it be more like 85/15? Thanks for any responses!

Replies

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We raise our own beef and so I'm no sure what the fat content of it is. If I crumble the beef in pan, brown it, and then drain it as much as possible can I count it as 95/5 ground beef? Or should it be more like 85/15? Thanks for any responses!

I have no way to really know, but 95/5 sounds about right to me if you are draining off the fat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Or play the average and go with a 90% listing. This is what I do, regardless of whether I buy 80%, 85% or 90% lean, once drained, the fat content ends up being about the same IMHO so I always log as 90%
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    We also raise our own beef. I always choose the leanest option since I know that we trim ours very well. There is hardly anything to drain off! It is so lean that it can be hard to make hamburgers since there is no fat to hold the patties together.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!