Sides with dinner?

Options
I need some ideas for side items. We eat a lot of broccoli and green beans. But we also eat potatoes, which we don't eat with out butter, and we also eat corn. What are some less starchy side items? We dont' like cauliflower or asparagus.

Replies

• pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    bump - i need more ideas too...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend! Here is a decent listing of the lower carb (starch) vegies. I like my potatoes too, but try to limit them to 1-2 a week and in moderation.

Good Luck!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like to steam fresh squash, zukes, and carrots.

I like brussel sprouts, peas, parsnips, bell peppers (grilled), spinach, etc...
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    a salad
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Grill veggies (sweet peppers with mushrooms & onions)
    Sweet potatoes (you can bake them in the oven sprinkled with red pepper & onion spices)
    garden salad
    turnips
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My favorites are roasted sweet potatoes, or bakes with a touch of butter and cinnamon and sugar. You could also just have a spinach salad. I eat a lot of broccoli as well, and have found a wonderful recipe for a Garlic Sauce that is a bit spicy. It really is delicious. My family has really begun to like pearled barley and veggie mix by Green Giant. It takes a couple to feed us all, but it is a great Carb and veggie combo.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up potatoes, onion, bell pepper, squash and mushrooms spray with pam and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and basil . I roast the potatoes sprayed with pam for about 20 mins at 350 then add the rest of the vegetables spray with more pam and sprinkle with spices and cook for another 15-20 mins YUM

also rice, quinoa with garlic, cilantro, tomatoes and anything else you want to add
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    orzo, coucous, brown rice or brown basmati, tomatos, peas, beans ...
  • PhoebeM
    Options
    baked sweet potatoes without the skin is another good one. google says it has "good carbs"
  • gsdonn
    Options
    Have you ever tried to roast cauliflower? It tastes nothing like any other kind of cauliflower. My kids (9 and 7) love it. Take the florets and toss in olive oil, pepper and sea salt. Put on a baking sheet in a 450 oven for 20 minutes - turning the cauliflower once. It gets carmalized and a bit crispy. Hard not to like.
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    I cut up 2 zuchinni's and some sweet onion; use 1 tsp of olive oil and seasonings and put on the grill. We love it!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Love to roast veggies.... zucchini, broccoli, egg plant, asparagus, onions, red/yellow/orange peppers. Just dice up a variety of veggies that you love, cover a baking a sheet with foil, lightly spray with olive oil and season to taste. Roast for 15 min or so on 450 or 500 degrees.

Quinoa or Farro (whole grains that are high in protein!)

Beans

Artichokes - I love eating artichokes because it takes awhile to eat them. Makes me think I'm getting to eat a lot, but I'm really not. To cook them fairly quickly, I just cut off the stem, cut off the top 1/3rd or so, snip off the points on the leaves, put in a microwave safe boil, add water to cover about the bottom 1/3 of the choke. Microwave on high for 12 min or 13 min for a really large one.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas. I've only had them in hummus but a member posted this recipe for spicy baked chickpeas and I can't get enough!! It's more protein but it's a good change from what you're eating now.

Ingredients

* 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    * Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse and drain the chickpeas and dry by rolling them around in a kitchen towel. Combine the oil, paprika cumin, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the chickpeas to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Bake until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl.

I didn't use the salt but I'm assuming you'd sprinkle a little on top.
  • dmcgee
    dmcgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there, would you share your garlic sauce recipe with me? Thanks!