Cardio vs. Weights Balance for Weight Loss

Options
Let me start this post saying I 100% believe in weight training, do not live and die by the scale, and am seeing changes in my body. Now that I have that out of the way, let me get to my main question:laugh: ...

I have sort of hit a slow period/stalemate with my weight loss. I have started ramping up my weight training, which I am sure is impacting my ability to lose (doing well as far as food consumption). However, I still want to lose at least another 30-40 lbs. Therefore, I want some feedback on do you think maybe I should stop trying to up my weight, and just keep lifting at the same weight, or maybe up the cardio, or just something in between. I definitely believe in weight training, and have no plan to stop, yet, I definitely want to shred some more lbs, so that my weight training can really begin to show through. Discuss...

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what you're doing. The plateau will break and the scale will catch up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Let me start this post saying I 100% believe in weight training, do not live and die by the scale, and am seeing changes in my body. Now that I have that out of the way, let me get to my main question:laugh: ...

I have sort of hit a slow period/stalemate with my weight loss. I have started ramping up my weight training, which I am sure is impacting my ability to lose (doing well as far as food consumption). However, I still want to lose at least another 30-40 lbs. Therefore, I want some feedback on do you think maybe I should stop trying to up my weight, and just keep lifting at the same weight, or maybe up the cardio, or just something in between. I definitely believe in weight training, and have no plan to stop, yet, I definitely want to shred some more lbs, so that my weight training can really begin to show through. Discuss...

Re: the bolded? NO. Absolutely don't force yourself into a strength plateau. Keep upping the weight when/if possible.

When you say, "doing well as far as food consumption," I take it you're (supposedly) eating at a deficit? In any case, you may need to reassess how much you're eating vs. what your current weight is. As far as cardio goes, sure - add a little if you want to. It shouldn't hurt, provided you can recover between all exercise sessions sufficiently and are eating enough to fuel your workouts.

As WalkingAlong alluded to - if your diet really is in a good spot, you can probably just keep at it. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Im not going to comment on your workout, but I would suggest not looking at your weight, but your body measurements and tone.

See how they improve.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I would up the weight and incorporate some super sets as much as possible. Keep increasing the intensity of your workouts basically. Every extra rep you push through the pain for when you feel like you can't - is going to help that muscle grow and work and in turn help your body burn more fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    who cares about number on a scale? it's not like you're going to be dragging around a scale, dropping it on the ground and stepping on it in front of people and going "seeee ?". no you're going to be walking around with your gradually shrinking belly, thighs, but, arms etc.

keep increasing the weights if you can. do the strength training and profit from the results.

ETA. I only lost 30 pounds but went from a size 22/24 to a size 14. i probably could have lost more scale weight had i not done strength training as my primary workout, but i know plenty of people with similar body shapes as me who lost the same amount of weight doing elliptical and maybe lost 2 sizes if they were lucky.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Why not make combine them?

This is what crossfit does and it seems to work really well.

It looks like this: Less Rest, More Work

First start with doing your current workout with the same weights but faster. Then add in more work at the same speed. Then make it faster again. So on and so on. In between these workouts, throw in a workout that just focuses on 1-3 rep strength (and not speed or volume) and you should progress nicely.