FRUSTRATED.......HLEP!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"

That would be a fantastic diet!!!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    just keep at it, it will come off
  • satimmons
    Options
    Give it some time. Your body is adjusting to a bunch of changes. You are changing so much: diet, exercise and smoking! Be proud of yourself and pat yourself on the back. Most of all, be patient and keep on track!

If you are losing weight with your husband , you will find that he will lose weight much faster. This is very annoying and frustrating!! For every pound I lose, my husband loses 3-4 lbs.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All what Trogalicious said. This is the truth. Start off slowly, be consistent, and develop patience. Lots and lots of patience. At times you will feel like you're standing still but you're not. If you're consistent you will lose. You will. It takes time. Take pictures and measurements and pay little attention to what the scale says. The scale really should only be used a to determine upward or downward trends. My weight can fluctuate 2-5 lbs DAILY. Sometimes that much within the same day. It's all from food I've eaten, food I haven't gotten rid of yet :wink: , and water from exercise to repair muscles. Don't let the number on the scale get to you. It took me a long time to get that through my head. A LONG time. Don't let that be you! Stick with it. Even when you don't want to. It's worth it. Truly. Good luck!!!:smile:
  • Katz135
    Katz135 Posts: 22
    Options
    Quitting smoking is VERY important and most people gain weight. For many it is a significant amount. So for the next couple of weeks if you don't lose as fast as you'd hoped, but you don't smoke or gain weight, you have every right to pat yourself on the back and say "job well done." The weigh loss will kick in as you keep eating right and working out and smoking will gradually become a thing of the past. It's all good and if you can accomplish both in the long run.... BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I started the whole diet and exercise thing about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The first 5 days I lost 3 lbs but I guess since I am working out 5 days a week I am starting to gain muscle and I havent lost any after the 3lbs. Now I am bloated because of all the fruit and veggies that I have been eating that it looks as though I have gained inches which surely cant be true. I also stopped smoking about a month ago and it seems like my stomach keeps getting bigger and bigger. Could this be because of me stopping smoking? I have not been completely strict with my diet but I have cut down an lot and I have been burning at least 300 calories a day with exercise. Getting discouraged, but I am very determined to lose weight and get fit. ADVICE PLEASE :)

You're not going to see any changes in only 2 1/2 weeks. It takes TIME and PATIENCE. Keep up the work! The pounds and inches will slowly start to fall off. Give it about 1-2 months of doing what you're doing. If at that point, you still don't see ANY results (not even 1 lb down and absolutely NO inches lost ANYWHERE), then it's time to reevaluate what you're doing: make sure you're counting and measuring your food correctly and make sure you're logging realistic burns based on how hard you're working out (or you could get a device to help you out with that, like a calorie counting activity tracker such as the Fitbit or a heartrate monitor). But you really need to give it about 1-2 months of work before you can determine if what you're is actually working.

Don't give up! The only way to fail at losing weight is to give up! If you keep trying and never give up, eventually you'll figure out what works for you and your body will shed those pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • stormninja11
    Options
    WAIT A MINUTE! There is a twinkie and vodka diet? Can I have the link to that? :drinker:

Seriously though great advice Trogalicious (I tried to do the quote thing but failed) I will have to revisit this post frequently for a reminder.

I think it takes time to not only see a change but for your mind to actually register it (does that sound stupid?). I know I have lost weight because my clothes are too big, but sometimes when I look in the mirror I don't notice a difference. Hang in there! You'll notice a difference soon!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I learned in a nutrition class that our body will fight us to stay the same weight because it wants to maintain homeostasis so it makes losing weight a challenge...and once we have lose the weight it takes a full year before our bodies reach the new homeostasis. It's hard, it won't be fast...but you can and will do it!
  • Redbluffgal10
    Options
    We all get frustrated, you are not alone!

You mentioned that you are exercising 5 days a week. I have found that the type of exercise makes all the difference. What type are you doing?

Also, it is not always the calories but where you are getting your calories too. If you are eating a lot of prepackaged, processed foods it can make a huge difference. Empty calories or no calories can lead to weight gain even if you are within your limits. If you want to speak further about this you can private message me and I can call you later.
  • dnorman2014
    Options
    Drop the weights.... hit the cardio! You need to sweat off the water and make sure you are consuming 64oz of water daily.

55964149.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Drop the weights.... hit the cardio!

...why?