Netting 1200 a day?

Options
So right now, I'm 266 pounds, lightly active throughout the day, and exercise five days a week for about an hour, I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day, but my net calories come in at 1,100-1,200 calories. Is this normal or too low? I'm logging less calories than normal because I don't usually have time for breakfast when I wake up. I don't feel hungry btw, i usually tend to eat 2200-2500 on Saturdays and Sundays too lol thanks for any help :)

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So right now, I'm 266 pounds, lightly active throughout the day, and exercise five days a week for about an hour, I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day, but my net calories come in at 1,100-1,200 calories. Is this normal or too low? I'm logging less calories than normal because I don't usually have time for breakfast when I wake up. I don't feel hungry btw, i usually tend to eat 2200-2500 on Saturdays and Sundays too lol thanks for any help :)

If you aren't going hungry, feeling tired, etc. and you're losing weight then you're doing it right. Once you get closer to your goal weight you may find you need to make some changes, but for now it's fine to run a large deficit provided you can stick with it (meaning you aren't miserable/starving/etc.).
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It is almost inevitable to underestimate cals and overestimate cal burn so i say your good to do what you are doing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are doing pretty similar to what I do, I started an 238 and am down about 30 lbs. It should work for you. Just make sure you are accurately measuring your workout calories, MFP tends to overestimate them some. Either way it sounds like you are creating a pretty good deficit so should still lose.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First of all, not to sound like a creepy stalker but I noticed your "Trying to be beautiful again." on your profile so I checked out your pics and I'd say you're already gorgeous!

Second, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As one of the above responders pointed out, it's pretty common for the burns to be overestimated and food logging to be underestimated (unless you're meticulously weighing and measuring every little morsel) a bit so it all comes out in the wash. Just be careful not to net any lower than 1200 and pay attention to how you're feeling. If you're lacking energy or the like, don't be afraid to get a couple extra snacks in.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First of all, not to sound like a creepy stalker but I noticed your "Trying to be beautiful again." on your profile so I checked out your pics and I'd say you're already gorgeous!

Second, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As one of the above responders pointed out, it's pretty common for the burns to be overestimated and food logging to be underestimated (unless you're meticulously weighing and measuring every little morsel) a bit so it all comes out in the wash. Just be careful not to net any lower than 1200 and pay attention to how you're feeling. If you're lacking energy or the like, don't be afraid to get a couple extra snacks in.

I also checked out your profile and if your friends are calling you fat, then they probably aren't your friends!
  • chase128
    chase128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For the first year or so on MFP I would net that low (now I net closer to 1400), and in my opinion as long as you have energy and feel good you shouldn't be to worried. If your really concerned I would say periodically check in with you primary care physician to make sure your blood work looks ok. (I do this every sixth months or so to make sure I am doing ok and to make sure my thyroid levels are good.)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the info guys! :D I feel fine and am pretty active most of the day, and I'm anywhere from starving :) And no worries to the creepers haha :P