My daily calories are kinda low?

Options
I posted a status about this to try and get some feedback but thought I'd post in the main forum to see if I can get more feedback :)

I'm 6"1 give or take, and 250 lbs, MFP gives me a calorie restriction of 1710 a day, doesn't that seem a LITTLE low? Considering I am a pretty big guy. The only activity I really get in everyday life is walking to/from the bus stop to home. And between classes if that counts. I plan on exercising 6 times a week outside of everyday routines if that is factored into my activity level? If not then my daily activity is not that high disregarding set time for exercising specifically. Hmmm, confused :/ 1700 seems like my body might go into starvation mode, maybe 2000 seems like a good goal. I'm aiming to lose about 2 lbs a week, doesn't 1700 seem a little low for that?

Any feedback or comments are hugely appreciated :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The way the website is set up it expects you to log your exercise and adds calories to your goal once you've earned them. This would help to bring your calorie goal up a bit.

Otherwise, I agree it seems a little low for you. You can reset your profile to a custom goal if you'd like.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Once you exercise and burn calories you are supposed to eat back those exercise calories so you have the appropriate net calories per day for body function. It's up to you if you want to eat all of them back. In regards to your daily calorie goal... How much weight loss did you set your goal for weekely. 2 lbs? 1 lb? If you set youself for a large loss your daily goal will be less to create a large deficit. If you feel you may need more baseline calories maybe set yourself to 1/2 lb weight loss or 1 lb (if you set if for 2). Give it a little time and see how things go.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just ran your numbers (here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and your BMR is 2400 so I'd agree that 1700 is a bit too low. 2 pounds per week is a bit agressive for the amount of weight you have to lose (per the ticker on your profile). Try 1.5 pounds per week or even 1 pound per week. That will up your daily goal a bit.

The activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc) you set should not include your exercise, it should just include your day to day activities. Also when you enter your planned exercise, MFP does not take that into account for your daily calorie goal. As the above poster noted, when you log exercise, you then get "earned" calories from those activities. I wouldn't count walking to and from class but might include the walk to the bus stop if it's more than 10 minutes and you walk as briskly as you can. Even sedentary takes into account some basic daily activities (cooking, doing dishes, etc).
    Sedentary
    Sleeping - 8 hours
    Personal care (dressing, showering) - 1 hour
    Eating - 1 hour
    Cooking - 1 hour
    Sitting (office work, selling produce, tending shop) - 8 hours
    Driving car to/from work - 1 hour
    General household work - 1 hour
    Light leisure activities (watching TV, chatting) - 3 hours

Try to get some more activity in if you can - not just for weight loss but for your health. Best of luck!