Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce?

Options
My better half is a vegetarian and even though I'm somewhat of a carnivore, I'm always willing to look for dishes that we can both enjoy. I have a bunch of whole wheat spaghetti in the cupboard I want to cook up for us. So clearly since I am no expert on how to be vegetarian I am looking for beef substitutes for my Spaghetti sauce. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beef substitute that is also rich in protein and will somewhat keep the consistency of regular spaghetti sauce?

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    Check out Boca Ground Crumbles or Morningstar Farm's Meal Starter.

If you're feeling really creative, you can try to make your own vegan "meat" with TVP (textured vegetable protein) and sausage spices (Penzey's makes a great line of sausage spices -- there's probably major supermarket varieties out there).

Edit: You might also be able to do something sausage like with vital wheat gluten -- there's oodles of seitan recipes out there that might go well with pasta sauce.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can use TVP (kind of looks like ground beef as well) but I prefer mushrooms or Tofu. Tempeh may do the trick as well but it is a little harder in texture than the others I mentioned, but would be pretty close to well done ground beef (when it is almost crunchy)
  • dianka93
    Options
    I am vegetarian. My husband is not. When I don't have time to make my own sauce (been years since I found the time!) I use the thick and zesty mix from McCormick. It is quite thick. Even my husband likes it. I've also started using the new vegetarian meatballs from Morningstar. I bake them since my husband likes them kind of crunchy. Kids, who aren't vegetarian either, love them. As for things to mix in, Boca, Morningstar and another all make fake hamburger crumbles. My husband thinks the Morningstar ones are too chewy. Have some Boca in the freezer, but I haven't tried them.
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    have to agree and you can also buy veggie patch meatless meatballs. so yummy. tastes very similar to real meat
  • nicci13
    Options
    Quorn Mince!
    I'm a vegetarian myself and its so simple to cook....you would have to split the spaghetti sauce into two pans of course but past that, everything else is the same (the quorn can be added straight from the bag)

:D
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Yes those are good and there are vegetarian or as we say inour home fake italian sausage that is yummy. My son is vegetarian so I usually cook vegetarian at least during the week. My husband will cook spaghetti for us all with real and fake italian sausage for both to add in.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    For spaghetti sauce I always use yves veggie ground (Canadian). I heard from my non-vegetarian friend that putting chick peas in spaghetti sauce is good. I've never tried it, but I trust her opinion of it.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we aren't fans of the 'meat substitutes' so i use portabella mushrooms, diced. they have a similar taste and consistency to meat.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can use TVP (kind of looks like ground beef as well) but I prefer mushrooms or Tofu. Tempeh may do the trick as well but it is a little harder in texture than the others I mentioned, but would be pretty close to well done ground beef (when it is almost crunchy)

I second TVP. Tempeh has a weird taste if its not marinated that can really.. uh... well lets just say its not good in marinara sauce.

You can also take firm tofu, press it dry, and then grate it into the sauce.