New and on a lonely journey

Options
I'm a programmer so I sit at my desk all day. I was motivated to change my lifestyle and get in shape after having a struggling moment to simply tie my shoes. Since then, I've lost about 40 pounds doing P90x, and P90x2, and Insanity. I've come to realize I can't simply exercise my weight down and needed to change my eating habits. That is the biggest struggle for me. I'm on a mission to make a difference this year with first attacking portion control and eventually healthier eating habits.

I love to play Tennis, Golf, Snowboard, Fish, Play Poker, and Renovate my house.

I've started MFP last week and I'm looking for friends for support. Although I'm an introverted person, I feel alone in this endeavor and would like to share experiences.

Replies

• goingtodoitin14
    Options
    Know where your coming from, I sit at my job all day too. Feel free to add me:) You are not alone:)
  • Matt_C_195
    Matt_C_195 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Same job here...
    Sounds like you have the exercise and motivation down, so adding the food control and quality should definitely get you where you want to be! Start logging EVERYthing, I bet you'll be surprised at how many calories it all adds up to. Read other's diaries, can get some great inspiration there too. And ask people questions, everyone I've talked with here if really helpful!
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks Matt. I've been perusing the forum and folks seem pretty genuine here.
  • muderfocker
    muderfocker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also....sit at my desk all day also.
  • sjhunt1
    sjhunt1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yea, I have a desk job and sit all day too.

I'm looking for friends here on MFP, so we can encourage and support each other.

Yes, please add me !!

Shelly
  • Grafakos
    Grafakos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a programmer too, so I know all about the sedentary lifestyle it encourages. Feel free to add me. This year I have resolved to get some exercise every single day, at minimum a half hour walk. This week I've managed to fit in a ~1 hour hike every day so far! As a bonus, that extra calorie burn (700 to 1000 in my case) more than makes up for imperfect discipline with the portion control. I do try to log everything as accurately as I can, and that has been a big motivator not to eat too ridiculously.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for heading in the right direction. Starting with portion control first is a good idea. Many people don't realize it is not always what you eat but how much. You would be surprised to actually see portion sizes measured out. Some stuff you look at and think that's all I get while other times it's, wow I get that much. I'm new to MFP but not the weight loss journey, add me and we can help each other through the ups and downs.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Recognizing your weakness and having a plan to attack it...I see great things in your future! Sending you a request...
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for heading in the right direction. Starting with portion control first is a good idea. Many people don't realize it is not always what you eat but how much. You would be surprised to actually see portion sizes measured out. Some stuff you look at and think that's all I get while other times it's, wow I get that much. I'm new to MFP but not the weight loss journey, add me and we can help each other through the ups and downs.

It's been about 2 weeks so far on logging my intake. So far, so good. I'm dreading my visit to my parents for Vietnamese New Year. I enjoy the company but dread the food fest. I always binge since there are so many foods I haven't had in a long time; things only Mom knows I love. It's finding that line that makes her happy and appreciate her meals while me not overdoing it. :P