Afternoon slump - What do you do?

Options
I think a lot of us experience this, around 3-4 p.m. we become tired and often crave something to boost our energy, spirits, etc.

For me it's coffee, my partner in crime. However, I often also reach for carbs or chocolate.

What do you do to combat the afternoon slump? I'd like to replace my more harmful habits!

Best,
BD

Replies

• mirms82
    Options
    I usually drink some green with a fiber one bar
  • mirms82
    Options
    I meant green tea lol
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I get up from my desk, walk around, grab a big glass of water w/ lemon and that usually does it for me.
  • rustyroof
    Options
    A banana, fills you up and gives you a natural boost
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I crave leaving work.

ETA: I combat the afternoon slump by leaving work. Once I'm home, I'm totally fine again. Then again, home has everything I look forward to in the day. I could try to bring some of it to work... Like my dog. Or dinner. Maybe my bed. Now the wheels are turning!
  • victoriaalice39
    Options
    I try to get up and move around a bit. Even if its just for a few minutes, and I drink lots of water.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I keep eating! I eat 6 times a day and that includes a snack in the afternoon.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I get up and pour myself another cup of coffee and usually grab a piece of chocolate, than I log it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Plan it into your day...

I'm currently having a Chai Tea and some dark chocolate.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A banana, fills you up and gives you a natural boost

This!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    A great snack is a piece of fruit (I prefer a banana or an apple, but any will do) and a babybel cheese round. I drink about 16 oz of water about 30 minutes before my snack (in the winter, if the office is chilly, I'll make hot tea with a 1/2 tbsp of raw honey instead of having cold water). :flowerforyou:
  • Katz135
    Katz135 Posts: 22
    Options
    With me it is after supper when the the house is quiet and the rush of the day is over. I guess it is boredom more than anything else. So I save some calories for this time of day and plan ahead what it is that I am going to snack on.
    Even if you have to prepare your snack during the day when it isn't so hard and cut back a little on meals to allow for it. It is good to have it ready for when the "munchies" attack.
    As long as you calculate them into your total it's all good.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I used to take a nap over my lunch hour.....but then the owners of the building our company is in got rid of the sauna....:angry:
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Drink water and have a snack such as pistachios or tangerines, you have to do some work to get the nut or fruit out in order to eat it. It takes time and distracts you.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Excellent ideas, I'm going to try them. Well, I do drink water all the time, so I've got that covered. I didn't bring any fresh fruit today, but I bought some dried apple slices.

I definitely need to get up more at work. I also have the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome (due to work) so I've got to take more breaks!
  • therealblackdahlia
    Options
    That's a great idea! Plus, I'm addicted to pistachios lately. Sooo good!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    COFFEE!!!! And a walk helps too. But mainly COFFEE!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I eat bigger breakfast and lunch with plenty of protein and fat. I eat heaps of non starchy vegies with these meals and limit my fruit because I find eating a lot of starchy carbs make me a) get hungry sooner and b) tired/lacking in energy
  • AprilFire04
    AprilFire04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of leaving work. but its not always feasible.

I like to go for a walk or do some yoga stretches. Sometimes moving onto a different subject while working helps too!
  • therealblackdahlia
    Options
    Oh and I have a new way to combat the slump...chat in the MFP forums! :)