Food Prep for the week

Options
So today is my food prep day and today I am making the following:

Lunch: Tuna salad (4oz)with greens or steamed veggies

Supper: Chicken (2oz.) and Talapia (2oz.) with cabbage/cauliflower

Snacks: Precut peppers and cucumber (I eat with mustard) and Sugar Free jello

I like to keep my meals very clean and basic.

What do you make for food for the week?

Replies

• crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I will be shopping and prepping on Monday because I go back to nursing classes on Tuesday and have a husband and a 6 year old to take care of. I'm excited to start!

I'm planning to make soups, salads-in-a-jar and veggie burgers for lunches.
    Breakfasts will be egg while cups with a slice of lunch meat (other things don't need prepping)
    Dinners will be a mixture of quinoa, tilapia, tofu and roasted veggies including sweet potato, brussle sprouts, asparagus and aything that comes from my co-op basket over the weekend :)
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I will be shopping and prepping on Monday because I go back to nursing classes on Tuesday and have a husband and a 6 year old to take care of. I'm excited to start!

I'm planning to make soups, salads-in-a-jar and veggie burgers for lunches.
    Breakfasts will be egg while cups with a slice of lunch meat (other things don't need prepping)
    Dinners will be a mixture of quinoa, tilapia, tofu and roasted veggies including sweet potato, brussle sprouts, asparagus and aything that comes from my co-op basket over the weekend :)

Have you made the 'salad in a jar' before? They seem messy - so I haven't had the urge to make them - but they look really nice. :p
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you put the dressing in the bottom, protein and hard veggies and then greens last it's ok. You do have to pack in in a little, that way your protein (chicken, tofu, beans, etc) block the dressing and soak some of it up. I do try to keep them as upright as possible during travel just in case, but so far, so good!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I try to meal prep, but have found myself getting a little slack on the school holidays and also it's really hot at the moment so I don't feel like cooking. That said, I am cooking a roast chicken which will give my husband and I cold meat for a couple of days, and I am cooking some veggies and will have leftovers for work tomorrow night. I have also bought some chicken mince to make meatballs with. The last ones I added mixed frozen veggies (peas corn and carrot) and taco seasoning. I then bake them in the oven on a moderate heat. They reheated nicely and the protein was quiet reasonable
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I usually cut up some veggies for the week so in the morning I can just grab some for lunch.

I am also lucky and at work we have a fridge I can use, so if I make a batch of something I can take it to work and leave it there throughout the week. That way I don't have to worry about making lunch everyday.

I also make a batch of oatmeal and take portions of that to work for breakfast and make a new batch whenever I need to
  • snappled
    Options
    I have never prepped my food in advance.......................... maybe i should. ha
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have extra phyllo dough from making pot pie, so I was thinking about making mini quiches for breakfasts this week, I have extra veggies laying around just need to go buy eggs.

I should prep for the week but it's tough to remember. I make "salad in a jar" from time to time, but put the dressing in a little ziplock snack bag and mix it in right before i eat it.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm really good about making my COLD OATMEAL breakfasts. (Steel cut oats, Almond Milk, A tsp Agave, Almonds and freash fruit). I make them three at a time and put in the fridge for after my morning workouts ~ or before if I'm hungry. I want to start making some "pre-made portioned meals" and plopping them in the freezer or fridge so they are all set to go. Most times when I make bad choices its because I'm over hungry and have nothing ready to plop into the pie hole that is a nice option.

Going to look for those portion sized containers this week so I can get a move on this :)

now if I could only afford an in home chef ......
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    So many great ideas! Pre portioned oatmeal is a great idea - I think I'm going to do a batch of that this week. :)
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Two days a month I make chicken breasts and pork tenderloin (1 per day) in the crockpot. I shred the cooked meat and portion it out into ziplocks. (6 ounces for the chicken and 5 ounces for the pork.) I do LARGE batches and get enough for the month (sometimes a few days worth less, sometimes a few days worth more.) I wait for the meat to go on sale. I just pull out a frozen portion and can do so much with it. Cold salads/wraps, stir-frys, or soup. (Today I did chicken soup!) A favorite is a portion of pork on a high fiber-low carb wrap with a schmear of Spicy Jalapeno Cream Cheese. I'm NOT a fan of lettuce so I usually do 1-1.5 ounces of brocolli slaw for crunch on my wraps. So YUM! So easy. It's a couple days of food prep but only about 30 minutes of total "hands on prep."
  • binniesmart
    Options
    I have made: lunch for mon and tues - roll with chicken and avocado
    Dinner for tomorrow: fresh pasta dough to be made into spaghetti tomorrow, with arrabiata sauce
    Dinner for Tuesday: leftover dinner from tonight - roast pork belly, to be had with plenty of veg
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    Last night I made a large batch of tomato and red pepper dahl. 239 calories per portion x 6

Tonight I am cooking flatbreads. 203 calories per bread x 9

So that is some tasty and healthy lunches sorted for the week, plus perhaps a dinner if I have to bring a lot of work home with me ...

Tomorrow's dinner is also made - leftovers from last night. A variation on colcannon with bacon and a lot of wholegrain mustard, coming in at 786 calories for about as much as I can physically eat.

The best parts are:
    a) I know exactly what's in all of this, and
    b) I had fun cooking it, and it took my mind off work

Happy days.

[edit] Maybe I should make it clear I won't be eating just dahl all week - some of the portions have already gone in the freezer! :laugh: