Stuck at a plateau?

Options
I've been stuck at the 258-254 range for the past three or so weeks and it's been a struggle. I have let my calories fluctuate day-by-day and increased my workout. I usually do 40 minutes of cardio in 2 segments, and have been doing weights on the side as well. Last time I did a body fat percentage measurement it said I had over 100 pounds in fat (36% bf). I don't understand what I might be doing wrong. I've been eating my recommended amount of calories provided by MFP.

I've lost about 29 lbs but struggling to get the next 10 pounds. I really need help.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary so that we could see what might be going on?

How accurately are you tracking? Are you weighing your food? Using measuring cups? Eyeballing portion sizes? And are you eating back the extra calories you earn through exercise? If so, are you using a hear rate monitor or MFP/gym machine estimates?

How recently did you start the strength routine? You might be holding onto some extra water weight to help cushion and repair those sore muscles. It's not uncommon to see a stall or even a gain on the scale when you start a new workout routine, masking any fat loss that's happening in the background.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear; however, in 3 weeks you should be seeing some weight loss. You could try being a bit more stringent for 3-4 days just to reduce any water retention and ensure that you're not miscalculating your calories. If it were me I'd go back to the basics with my eating (meaning just really simple meals with an eye on added sodium) ...for example,

Breakfast: 2 eggs, cooked in a pan with cooking spray, 1 slice of toast with 1 tbsp of peanut butter (weighed).
    Snack: 1 piece of fruit (weighed) and 1 string cheese
    Lunch: 1 whole bag of salad mix, 1 can of tuna or 4oz lean protein, 2 tbsp salad dressing + 1 yogurt
    Snack: vegetables--carrots or other raw veggies (weighed) dipped in hummus (weighed)
    Dinner: lean protein (weighed) baked or grilled, steamed veggies topped with 1 oz slivered almonds (weighed)

Lots and lots of water, normal exercise (not MORE because that can cause inflammation of the muscles and water weight), and enough sleep.
  • ek121
    ek121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been using measuring cups. I don't usually eat back my calories that I've burned, and the only heart rate monitor that my gym has is on the treadmill which I'll usually be about 140-150.

I've been doing strength training for a while but today I did add more exercises. I have been worried that I might be storing extra water but I'm not sure. I've been doing this for a month as of tomorrow.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I've been using measuring cups. I don't usually eat back my calories that I've burned, and the only heart rate monitor that my gym has is on the treadmill which I'll usually be about 140-150.

I've been doing strength training for a while but today I did add more exercises. I have been worried that I might be storing extra water but I'm not sure. I've been doing this for a month as of tomorrow.

you are most likely retaining water because of the strength training. what is your deficit set at?
  • ek121
    ek121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MFP calculated that I should be eating 1600 calories to be at a 1000 calorie deficiency.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Patience
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at the 258-254 range...I had over 100 pounds in fat (36% bf).

The numbers aren't consistent. If you have 100 pounds to lose (which *is* consistent with your weight), your BF % is in the 55%-60% range.

This in turn puts your somewhat-active TDEE in the 2000 calories/day range. Which, in turn, means an intake of 1600 calories is only a 400 calorie/day deficit. That's less than a pound a week, and if the logging isn't spot on, it's easy to completely blow away a smallish deficit like that.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I've been stuck at the 258-254 range...I had over 100 pounds in fat (36% bf).

The numbers aren't consistent. If you have 100 pounds to lose (which *is* consistent with your weight), your BF % is in the 55%-60% range.

This in turn puts your somewhat-active TDEE in the 2000 calories/day range. Which, in turn, means an intake of 1600 calories is only a 400 calorie/day deficit. That's less than a pound a week, and if the logging isn't spot on, it's easy to completely blow away a smallish deficit like that.

100/258=38.7% bodyfat. With 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week the OP would have a TDEE closer to 3000.