Cramps while running

Options
I am currently doing Couch 2-5k and am in week 5. problem is now that i am running longer i start to cramp. The cramp is under my left ribcage. Any tips on how to avoid this cramp. I usually run through it but it keeps getting worse, Please help

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Focus on breathing, deep breaths and make sure you are getting enough water and staying hydrated.
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Take slow, deep breaths. When I first started, I had to slowly count to 3 while breathing in and slowly count to 3 while breathing out.

Also, you may be going too fast. Try slowing down (especially in the beginning of your run) and see if that helps.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a good warm-up; I've read that a great warm up routine is to do 5-10 min. of gentle stretches (not just legs, but your whole body), do 5 -10 min. of easy cardio, then 5-10 min. of stretching again since your muscles are warmed up now. Then you can start your jog/run.

For those of us doing C25K, a 15-30 min. warm up seems a bit excessive for a 25-30 min. session, but I try to do 5 min. of stretching and then the C25K builds in 5 min. of warm up walking - it would probably be easy to add a few minutes of additional stretching after the 5 min. warm up walking before starting the actual jogging/running.
  • 1crosby87
    Options
    that article gave me some great advice thanks
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    2 things; Firstly, drink plenty of water. Since you can't drink a lot during the actual run, you have to drink plenty throughout the day so you're nice and hydrated before you lace up your shoes.

Second has to do with breathing, and it's something I learned playing tuba in band. When you breath, keep your shoulders level. Instead of letting your shoulders rise and fall with every breath, let your stomach go in and out. This uses different muscles to make your diaphram expand and contract your lunges. This advice applies to when you're really out of breath and take a break. Most people let their shoulders go way up and down, and that just contracts the cramped muscle over and over, exascerbating the problem.

(I didn't spell exascerbate correctly, did I?)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    that article gave me some great advice thanks

You're welcome! I ran across it this morning via Active's Facebook and thought it did a pretty good job of outlining causes/solutions! Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Everyone already said what I would have, but I want to second (third? fourth?) the make sure you're hydrated comment. And also look at what you're eating before you start. Something too heavy can cause cramping. Usually I find I cramp when I'm not hydrated or I'm pushing myself too hard (that varies by day -- some days I can do more than others).
  • 1crosby87
    Options
    it all helped alot, no cramping today