How to make up sick days/missed days

Options
Hey all,

I slept 23 hours yesterday (no joke) and have been nursing an upset stomach today and may do the same tomorrow. I refuse to work out when I'm not feeling 100% health-wise since it is a recipe for disaster. I know that will leave me with 3 days of exercise to make up.

How do you make up missed days? Do you do doubles or just push your schedule back?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I was legit sick, I wouldn't make it up, just pick up where I left off. If I work out on week days and take the weekend off, I might workout on the weekend depending on how I felt. If it's your stomach, then it's likely you weren't eating much, so it shouldn't negatively impact your loss. If you have the stomach bug that's going around my area it's *nasty* and takes several days to recover from.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no make up, just continue
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It's not school or chore, why to make up?
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You don't need to make-up workouts. Just get back into your normal routine when you feel better.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    no your body needs rest days :) Just move on :)

Hope you feel better!
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There is no make up, just continue

ditto
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There is no "making up." You simply pick up where you left off when you're able to go again.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I just go back to my normal routine.
    I remember a few years back trying to make up days by biking in January while I had pneumonia (I was starting to feel better). That was a bad idea.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It's not school or chore, why to make up?

LOL don't you know you have to take a dr.'s note to the gym when you miss?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I had the flu last week and only worked on Monday….felt better saturday and tried to work out but was still weak….started back again this week and just continued with normal routine...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I had the flu last week and only worked on Monday….felt better saturday and tried to work out but was still weak….started back again this week and just continued with normal routine...

I actually know someone who failed gym class and had to take summer school to make up...:glasses:
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Are you following an actual program? If I miss a day I just pick up where I left off in the program if I was not able to plan for it. No big deal if you finish the program a few days later. I do see some that will double up to make up the workouts to stay on track. I honestly do not have time for that,
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're feeling better just split up the lost day over 2 or three days and say you normally workout for an hour, work out for an hour and a half or 2 hours. But wait till you feel better.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

I actually know someone who failed gym class and had to take summer school to make up...:glasses:
    I got D's in PE throughout high school... back when we were required to take it every year. Made a significant difference in GPA. :grumble:

@OP: I don't try to "make up" workouts; in fact, if I've been off for more than a week or so, I drop back a bit when I restart.
    Last summer, I started over from scratch after my surgery.
    In November/December I stopped working out because I had to store my home equipment and my gym was closed most of that time. I restarted with empty bars and ramped up quickly, setting a couple of PRs within weeks although I haven't gotten back up to my squat max yet (but I did increase my depth).
    This past week I haven't been working out because I hurt my back.

All I did to "make up" at any time was drop my calorie target a little bit after a while since I realized I wasn't burning as much. But I don't do that immediately either. Example, I ate pretty freely last week, a few hundred calories over net every day, and think it helped my recovery (though it certainly caused me some stress!).

In each case, the result is not what I worried it would be. My weight ticked up a bit in both cases, which is to be expected since I'm eating a slight surplus. Body fat percentage (as measured by eeeh, BIA scale) went up briefly, then down.

What I take from this is rest, recover, and then adjust and move forward. The times off may even help you advance, depending on your goals. Or maybe it's just me, because I'm middle-aged and I don't sleep enough. :ohwell:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I was really sick the Sunday before new years and stayed in bed until Thursday when I had to return to work. On Saturday I ran and did zumba and set myself back. So I spent another two days sleeping off my illness. I wouldn't push yourself really hard once you feel ready again. Just go back to your normal routine.