Doctors?

ChubbieTubbie
ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Nearly every diet/exercise plan I've stumbled across online says that it's best to check with your doctor before beginning a weight loss plan. What kind of doctor do you see for that, though? A general practitioner, a nutritionist?? Just curious. :)

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    If you do not have any pre-existing conditions, I do not really see a need to go to the doctor. I mean you can, but they are going to tell you "sure, eat healthy, it's good for you".

If you want to pay me a $20 co-pay, I will tell you the same thing and you won't have to wait at a doctor's office! :bigsmile:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    GP. A nutritionist is not a doctor. You're GP can make sure you don't have any unlying health issues that could cause you problems. A nutritionist is just a guide and cannot diagnose. I do see a nutritionist, but I started seeing her after I went to my GP to make sure I wasn't going to have any issues or if I had any deficencies.

Good luck!!!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    I struggled with weight loss in the past. I have PCOS, which led to insulin resistance...I was on diet pills in the past, but am trying it with diet/exercise alone this time. I guess I can wait and see a doctor if it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks for the input!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Nearly every diet/exercise plan I've stumbled across online says that it's best to check with your doctor before beginning a weight loss plan. What kind of doctor do you see for that, though? A general practitioner, a nutritionist?? Just curious. :)

I know what you mean, I've seen the same when it comes to starting any form of exercise.

The reality is, the vast majority of people do not visit their doctor before embarking on a diet or exercise plan, if they did the waiting rooms would be choc-a-bloc with would'be dieters and wannabe exercise merchants :laugh:

I would hazard a guess that the doctor in question would be the GP.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    I don't know this as a fact, but I feel that the companies who sell the exercise programs cover their butts (liability) by telling you to see your doctor first. Then it's the doctor's responsibility, not the exercise company's. It is a good idea, though, especially if you have not exercised in a long time.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I don't know this as a fact, but I feel that the companies who sell the exercise programs cover their butts (liability) by telling you to see your doctor first. Then it's the doctor's responsibility, not the exercise company's. It is a good idea, though, especially if you have not exercised in a long time.

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! The disclaimer is there as an attempt to cover their butts - that way if someone is injured or (god forbid) dies as a a result of doing the exercises, the first thing the company's lawyer will do at the hint of a lawsuit will be find out if the person saw their doctor prior to starting.

Others are correct that it would be your general practitioner. I'd gotten clearance a couple of years ago to do a 20 mile walk, and I've only improved since then, so I opted not to go to the doctor before...not to mention I'd be stuck waiting until October to start since that's when I was able to get into my doctor's for my physical. :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I think you should see a doctor if you're going to be taking any sort of supplements ( HCG or creatine, or other weight loss products, for example) or eating in an unusual manner (VLCD or fasting or eating only cabbage, for example) or doing any kind of extreme exercise (marathon training or hours of cardio or competition anything). But normal eating right (3-6 meals a day) with adequate calories and getting reasonable exercise should be a normal lifestyle.

But anything that is going to severely strain your body should probably be okayed by your doctor first just in case there are medical issues which make such straining unwise.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    The cover our butts response is probably the most accurate. LOL But seriously, every client I have has to fill out a PAR-Q (Participant Activity Readiness Questionnaire) before I train them. As a fitness professional, I want to make sure that what I tell them to do isn't going to be harmful for them. If they have a problem that is listed on the PAR-Q, then they have to get a doctors clearance to exercise for their own safety. When you are reading a book, getting advice online, or some other instance where you don't actually meet with the fitness professional, the doctor recommendation is for everyone because we can't see if exercise A or food B is going to be dangerous for you. Even people who don't feel bad may have issues like diabetes or heart arrhythmias that could be potentially dangerous when starting a new program, so a full physical is generally recommended to make sure there isn't anything that's been missed. If you are generally healthy, and know you don't have diabetes or other issues, then most plans are generally safe without a doctor.
This discussion has been closed.