Energy bars, etc.

Options
Ok, I know there are a ton of variables but is there one type or manufacturer of energy/protein/etc. bars that is "better" than the rest?

I am in awe of how many types there are. The grocery store that I went to today easily had over 100 different choices.

I bought a Myoplex Lite Chocolate Caramel Crunch bar and ate it over the last part of a 4 mile walk (I literally walked to the grocery store on my lunch hour).

I did 100 arm curls in my office just prior to leaving for my walk but my goal as far as the bar was concerned was not necessarily to pump up after a workout.

I just wanted something that would give me energy.

Turns out the bar tasted great, filled me up and gave me so much energy that I didn't even eat lunch. (Again, I didn't intend for it to be a meal replacement bar either but since I have not been hungry since, I haven't eaten.)

Curious what to look for in the bars and how to judge them against one another.

Replies

• jmasterj
    Options
    Hey bro--i hear that! The problem with most of the bars out there today is that they are total crap---sugar or chemicals and no better than a Snickers bar. A bar I really like are Vega Whole Food Vibrancy Bar. They have a few flavors, but nothing bad in them. If you want a great Meal Replacement Bar try PRO BAR - Super Food Slam. It's about 350 calories and all healthy stuff. I'm a certified trainer with NASM and people have told me about the bars they eat--many of them just making them fat because they are like candy. Lastly, some of the better bars (those I mentioned) are pretty expensive, but if it's going in my body I want the best. Best to you!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/29_fitness_list.html

Check out this list. It is done with men's fitness and weight loss in mind.
  • aziar44
    Options
    It really does depend on what you're looking for.

I trust anything made by Clif. Clif bars are great for energy and they give you a little protein along with it, keeping me full for a while. They taste great and are filled up with a lot of the junk that other bars have.

Clif Builder bars are for when you want something filled with protein after a workout. Great taste, very filling, and gives me energy AND a big dose of protein (20 grams per bar!)

Lara Bars are the most all-natural bars you can find. They're more snack-type bars, to get you through maybe the 10:30 to lunch time slot. They're very good and great for you.

The best advice I can give is to look at the ingredients. How many ingredients on the bar can you not pronounce? How many sound more manufactured than natural? Not a great sign. If a bar is that processed, it isn't great for you, even if you derive energy from it. Men's Health recommends Clif bars and I believe METRX are high up on their list, too, for people focused intensely on muscle-building.

Also, look at the sugar content. If it has a bunch of weird ingredients and is high in sugar, forget it. You might as well eat a candy bar. In fact, some candy bars are better than a good chunk of energy/protein bars out there.

Hope this helps!
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I take Kashi granola bars and trail mix bars. Expensive but very healthy!