Good vegetarian recipes?

I'm trying to ease into a vegetarian this month, so by at least March I not eating meat at all. Any good recipes?
Follow-up: Is this a good strategy to vegetarianism, or should I quit meat cold turkey?

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian but I love peanut butter oatmeal. Just add pb to your oatmeal and a little bit of sugar. Pure heaven for your mouth. Delicious and nutritious!
  • Vegetarian chili is easy and good. Incorporate different beans and roast some of the veggies for added flavor. I like adding squash and roasted poblano peppers. Or sweet potato and black bean stew is pretty good. Try to incorporate different protein sources so you're not bored with your food. For lunch I like big salads and hummus wraps with fresh veggies. If you like quinoa, you can make Mediterranean inspired salad. Combine cooked quinoa with fresh bell peppers, capers, spinach, and a bit of tahini sauce. The recipe I used also suggested crushed almonds as a topping.
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Go to www.eatingwell.com, they have many recipes that can ease you into a vegetarian diet and if you still crave meat, they have those as well. I also like that they have the nutritional info for their recipes!
  • Tiabi
    Tiabi Posts: 8 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for most of my life so I've checked out quite a few cookbooks. The Moosewood cookbooks are one of my favorites - you can check a sample of their recipes on their website. Vegetarian Times magazine is another really good one. They also have recipes on their site that you can access for free.
  • My husband is a a vegetarian. As such, I tend to eat mainly vegetarian. I very rarely have meat at home. It's usually only if we eat out or we have guests over for dinner.

My favourite vegetarian cookbook is: The Complete Tassajara Cookbook by Edward Espe Brown.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Tassajara-Cookbook-Reflections/dp/1590308298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389987777&sr=8-1&keywords=the+complete+tassajara+cookbook

What it says on the back of the book:

California's Tassajara Zen Mountain Center has long been renowned for its gourmet vegetarian cuisine. In this comprehensive guide to the Tassajara way of cooking, the retreat center–spa's most celebrated chef, Edward Espe Brown, presents hundreds of recipes using fresh, whole foods; detailed notes on preparing seasonal ingredients; and, perhaps most important, inspiration for cooking with joyful intention and attention. Presented with humor and warmth, this book is full of insights for living a life that celebrates simple food.

There aren't any pictures, but it is extremely informative.

If you'd prefer a more visual, and perhaps less daunting, experience, try:

Tassajara Cookbook: Lunches, Picnics, and Appetizers.

http://www.amazon.com/Tassajara-Cookbook-Lunches-Picnics-Appetizers/dp/1423631838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389987914&sr=8-1&keywords=tassajara+picnic

Another really good vegetarian cookbook, with very easy recipes is a Martha Stewart one:

Meatless

http://www.amazon.com/Meatless-More-Than-Vegetarian-Recipes/dp/0307954560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389988114&sr=8-1&keywords=meatless
  • PatoGro
    PatoGro Posts: 7 Member
    Pumpkin and corn quiche. This is a recipe I found in http://blog.recetasargentinas.net/tag/quiche/ (and adapted and translated it, as the original is in Spanish).

INGREDIENTS
    Crust:
    Whole-wheat flour, 1 cup [I used regular flour because I didn’t have whole-wheat]
    Self-raising flour, 1 cup
    ¼ cup oil
    ¾ cup milk
    1 pinch salt

Filling:
    Pumpkin ½ kilo (1 lb)
    Corn kernels, 1 can
    Scallion, about 6
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Cream, 200 cc (7 fl oz) [I used a low-fat cream cheese instead!]
    Eggs, beaten, 2
    Grated cheese, 4 tbsp

Preparation
    Crust:
    Blend all ingredients and let the dough rest for about 30 min.
    When ready, knead and place in an 8-inch round mold (previously sprayed with canola or similar).
    Poke with a fork randomly. When spreading the dough in the mold, make sure you cover the edges of the mold to prevent the filling from leaking outside the crust.
    Bake at medium temperature for 8-10 min. before adding the filling.

Filling:
    Cut up the pumpkin in medium pieces and steam for about 10 min. (it does not have to get too soft). Mash it and set aside.

Stir fry the scallion and divide in two parts.

Blend the corn kernels and one part of the stir-fried scallion. Put this blend back in the skillet for 2-3 min. To this, add the mashed pumpkin. Salt and pepper to taste and mix well. [I used another seasoning, this is really to taste]

In a bowl, mix the eggs with the cream [in our case, the low-fat cream cheese] and the remaining scallion. Add the grated cheese and season / salt & pepper to taste.

Making the quiche

On the pre-baked crust, evenly place the mix of pumpkin and corn. Then add the liquid mix of eggs and cream / cream cheese.

Bake at 180 Celsius (356 Fahrenheit) for about 40 min. [If you baked the crust right before and the oven is still hot, it may not get to 40 min.]. It will be ready when the liquid layer sets.
  • . Vegan with a Vengeance : Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
    This is the best book to switch over easily on veggy.It is good decision ..well all the best.
    you can prefer vegetables noodles,try to make noodles with all your favourite vegetables,it would be better if you add soup with it.It is yummy you can be easily tempted.