How many calories should i be burning??

Options
Hey guys.

I'm 28 years old. 5'8, 240lbs male.

I should be consuming 2800 calories a day. Yet, I probably eat around 1800-2000 a day. I work Mon-Fri 7am-4pm. I work outside so iam on my feet for 9 hours a day.

In the morning I will have a 6oz steak, and 2 egg whites. Maybe even a protein shake.

For a snack I will have a string cheese or low fat yogurt. Even some trail mix. For lunch I'll have a salad, and a protein bar. For another snack I'll have a slim fast snack bar. For dinner I'll have skinless chicken breast. Just one. With steamed carrots and broccoli.

I also have a gym membership. My problem is the calorie in, calorie out. If I take in 2000 calories then how many calories should I look to burn ?? Also, for MONTHS I have been stuck in the 240s for so long. Any tips and tricks to help me out?? I'm going to visit my girlfriend in Cali in a few months and would like to shed some weight.

Also, at the gym I only do cardio. Because people at my work were saying if I lift weight also then I'll just turn out to be a stocky short guy instead of being skinny. So lifting weights would be counter productive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Bobby.

Replies

• Beastieboys1985
    Options
    I also drink about 6-8 bottles of water a day. Help is appreciated.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Continue with cardio. Lift weights (your coworkers are wrong). Burn as many calories as you want, but eat your allotted calories and at least half the exercise calories. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're letting MFP set your goals for you, you don't need to do any exercise to lose weight. How much you want to do really depends on what your fitness goals look like.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you combine cardio and weight lifting you can be a lean muscular man. :)
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say troll post but we'll see. I could be wrong.
  • Beastieboys1985
    Options
    Why is this a troll post?? I'm looking for advice, and have slot of questions about excess weight that I'm having a hard time getting rid of.

I just don't know where to start. And the calorie in/calorie out was confusing. Because again if I ate 1800 calories would I have to burn more than 1800 to lose weight.

Sorry for the dumb questions and thinking this is a troll post. But most definitely not.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I should be consuming 2800 calories a day.

Curious where you got that number from. You're about 50% body fat, so your BMR is going to be around 1500. You would have to be a very active person to get your TDEE up to 2800 calories/day.

Your couch potato TDEE is going to be around 1800-1900. If you want to lose weight at a reasonable clip, you can either eat at 1800 and exercise 500-1000 calories/day (which is a significant commitment), or you can stay relatively inactive and eat around 1300-1400 calories/day.

Good luck!
  • Beastieboys1985
    Options
    I have the MFP app. I track what I eat. Again it says 2800 calories. How do you figure I shouldnt need to exercise with the app. It just tracks my calories.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I should be consuming 2800 calories a day.

Curious where you got that number from. You're about 50% body fat, so your BMR is going to be around 1500. You would have to be a very active person to get your TDEE up to 2800 calories/day.

Your couch potato TDEE is going to be around 1800-1900. If you want to lose weight at a reasonable clip, you can either eat at 1800 and exercise 500-1000 calories/day (which is a significant commitment), or you can stay relatively inactive and eat around 1300-1400 calories/day.

Good luck!

OMG under no circumstances should you listen to this horrible advice. Do not eat only 1300-1400 calories as a male. He has significantly underestimated your "couch potato TDEE". There is absolutely no way you would only be burning 1800-1900 at your height and weight.
  • Beastieboys1985
    Options
    Mr.knight when I signed up for the app I stated my activity level, height, weight, etc. It said I'm allowed to eat 2800 calories. So I should be looking to burn 500 calories a day then?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If you want to listen to the app, listen to the app.

If you want to listen to people or a person, listen to people or a person.

But don't mix the two together. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    OMG under no circumstances should you listen to this horrible advice. Do not eat only 1300-1400 calories as a male.

He's 5'8 with a hell of a lot of weight to lose.

The numbers are correct - feel free to demonstrate otherwise.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you plan on losing and how fast? That determines the calories and exercise level required.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    yes, 5'8 with a lot of weight to lose, that's the ONLY thing you are correct about. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ how about you actually plug in his stats into a calculator before spouting off with your nonsense.
  • Beastieboys1985
    Options
    I'm 240 now. Id like to probably be around 180 or so. And I'd like to lose the weight as fast as possible. In a healthy matter, tho. I used to weigh 305. I cut out all fast food. Soda, etc. Now I'm stuck in the 240s. I've tried all the fad diets but nothing is working for me.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I would shoot to burn 500 cals during cardio usually 4-5 days a week. This worked pretty well for me.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" with a similar goal and I am for 2000 calories a day and ~30-60 minutes at the gym most days. I estimate between 300-500 at the gym.

Remember if you tell the app you are active or whatnot, don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • Beastieboys1985
    Options
    Should I also do weights? I know muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not trying to gain anymore. Just lose it, and then tone up. So 500 calories a day? I appreciate it. Just had no idea where to start or to focus on. I'm around 1800 calories a day. So burning 500 calories should be pretty good. Anybody have any meal plans or anything to eat or is my meals that I'm eating doing ok?? Thanks again, everybody.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, def do weights. Realistically, your weight is just a #, it isn't the whole picture of your health. Here's an example: my husband (who is 6'3) weighed about 180lbs (he was running a lot) before he started using weights. He's now up to 195lbs (after cutting back on cardio and adding strength-training). He's 15 lbs heavier, but he looks a lot better; more fit, stronger obviously.

The cardio will help the fat, but strength-training helps your strength, stamina; which then helps you run faster, work harder. It's a cycle really. Cardio is great for helping you lose weight, and a great place to start; but long-term, you want to incorporate strength-training.