Nurse needs help...

Options
Anyone out there a nurse who works 12-13 hour days in a hospital like me? How do you find the time/energy for a workout?? I am newly back to work after having a baby and I can't seem to balance it all...I was doing so well with the help of MFP when on maternity leave, but now I havent worked out since friday because I worked sat, sun, mon and wed. Today is thursday...what can I do? I am so tired and the baby isnt sleeping much during the day anymore. Help!!

Replies

• janetgardiner
    Options
    not sure about what do do while at work but when you're home with the baby, put on a HRM (if you have one) put the baby in the pram and head out for a fast 30-40min walk. As a nanny that's what I do, some days when I don't get a chance for a workout I'll head out and walk during nap time. He gets a great nap in the pram and I get a good 1-2hr workout.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Working in a hospital must get you loads of exercise, don't forget to count this! Perhaps get a pedometer, see how much you are walking and then try to up it bit by bit at work or when you get home. People say walking home or some exercise when you get home is a good way of destressing...particularly something like using a punching bag or yoga ( i personally don't find it relaxing or 'me time' at all...but each to their own). If not, you could find some time before you go to work to exercise...again, I won't do anything that means getting out of bed earlier. There are exercises you can do like lunges, squats or pulling in your stomach or glutes and counting that you could do when you have a spare second at work or every time you go to the bathroom or at your desk (if you have one!).

Otherwise, I'd say to count what exercise you do around the hospital and try not to feel too guilty about it and try to make up for it on the days when you have no/lesser shifts. Hope this helps!
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi Erb9921,

I completely understand the whole so many shifts in a row you loose count. I'm also a nurse and finding the time to excercise but have you ever thought of doing something like getting a pedometer? The recommended amount of steps we take a day is 10,000 steps a day. I started slowly and built it up. You'll find if you work on the wards like me you work a good amount of that up during the day but even things like going up and down the stairs twice for a batch of washing will help you. For me doing things like this made it easier because I was incorportating my excercise into my daily routine. Just an idea from one tired nurse to another! Although admittedly I don't have a baby so I salute you! I hope this helps!

xx
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What if you try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, or a home workout video. I suggest the shred because it really kicks your butt into gear, and maybe you could do it beside your baby while they are on the floor playing? You might need to stop every once and a while, but at least your getting in some activity. or put your baby in their stroller and go for a nice long walk? I am a student who works, so I can relate to just not having enough time in the day to squeeze in a workout!

Hope this help, good luck :)
  • maeganshanna
    maeganshanna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With your busy schedule it is very hard to find the time to get our walks in. I know this sounds silly but when you get home try sitting on a balance ball (I sit on one at my desk in the office instead of a chair). It forces you to use your core muscles and back to sit balanced. I also have some workout tapes if you want to look at them. Just let me know. I know how hard it is to lose the baby weight remember I am right there with you.