Shake weight...yay or nay?

Options
Ok...so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Shake Weight that is all over these info-mmercials these days. My curiosity is peaked (I mean, come on, who isn't looking for that five minutes a day to get rid of the bat wings??) and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. I don't take paid actors seriously on whether it works or not.

So have any of you given it a try? Is it worth it? Or a waste of 20 bucks??

Thanks!

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    All I can think of when I think of shake weights is the Saturday Night Live skit, look it up it is hilarious, and sums up what I think many people think of when they see this thing.

I don't know if it works but 5 minutes a day of triceps would do the same thing in my opinion, no need to buy another $20 worth of hokey equipment.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. Spend the $20 on a cheap set of hand weights and do the routine my trainer lovingly calls Madonna Arms. I tell him Madonna has some freakish arms and he might want to change the name...

celebritysmackblog_Madonna_78491_madonna_arms.jpg

LOL I don't think those are the arms he had in mind.....

At any rate.... the routine is simply:

Grab some hand weights.
    Lift your arms out to the side so you look like a T, lower them back down.
    Lift them out in front of you so your arms are straight out, lower them back down.
    Repeat each move 10 times and then do 10 bicep curls as quick as you possibly can.

That is one set.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Do this every day and you'll be kissing your bat wings goodbye.
  • Ready4Changes
    Options
    I bought one don't waste your money lol.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    madonna's arms are soooo disgusting....i would rather have flab...
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    lol Nichole....."Pink tank top. She's in on it! Oh ya, she's in!" :laugh:
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought one as well, it is collecting dust as we speak
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    hahahahaha........if you want a good laugh while working out than yay...LOL

Whenever i see it in the stores, I have to play with it cause it's too funny and looks like something else. My husband says I'm so retarded LOL
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Push ups will yield much better results
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    cina - my bosses think it is the funnest thing ever - I could never do a workout with it without cracking up!!! And I don't think it is just a guy thing either!!!!!!!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never used it but I recommend resistance bands. You can buy a 3 piece set for the same price as a shakeweight and do dozens more exercises. They're easy to travel with, store, and use.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    i got one last week i use it after my regular work out and it really has my arms burning !!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    You can not get rid of "bat wings" in 5 mins a day. You need to loose weight overall. Resistance training and cardio will help you do that but you will need to spend a lot more than 10 min a day. If you want results you have to commit, Nothing comes easy ;)
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got it, its super boring, but I got phenomenal results. I use it everyday...its just about a 10 min workout...but you'll see results right away. I like it, cause its simple and quick.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. Spend the $20 on a cheap set of hand weights and do the routine my trainer lovingly calls Madonna Arms. I tell him Madonna has some freakish arms and he might want to change the name...

celebritysmackblog_Madonna_78491_madonna_arms.jpg

LOL I don't think those are the arms he had in mind.....

At any rate.... the routine is simply:

Grab some hand weights.
    Lift your arms out to the side so you look like a T, lower them back down.
    Lift them out in front of you so your arms are straight out, lower them back down.
    Repeat each move 10 times and then do 10 bicep curls as quick as you possibly can.

That is one set.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Do this every day and you'll be kissing your bat wings goodbye.

I'll have to try this to kiss my bat wings goodbye! As I lose weight they get smaller but I think it's time to start toning.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    I just can't take the shake weight seriously..It just looks wrong! lol I'm sure you all know what i mean..ha ha
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Do it! My trainer came down from NYC. He's trained professional athletes, pop stars, you name it. Check out this video of him working out here in the gym at work. Dude is hardcore :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuarqlkQfg0
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is one of those If you have to ask...you already know the answer.

And yes, it does look rather phallic.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Those Madonna arms just made my tummy upset. Ewww
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I just can't take the shake weight seriously..It just looks wrong! lol I'm sure you all know what i mean..ha ha

Oh, we know what you mean if you want a good laugh visit the link celerystalker put up it is a perfect skit. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And those Madonna arms scare me, I don't want to be flabby but I dont want to look like an over cooked chicken wing either :noway: