Excruciating back pain

Options
I'm 34 and the mother of 2. Married to a wonderful man. Recently moved from South Carolina, where I've lived all my life to the Columbus, OH area to follow my husband's career. Currently a stay at home mom. I've been re-diagnosed with a herniated disc following a fall during moving and newly diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. Being extremely heavy greatly increases the pain of these problems. I'm not supposed to lift much, yet I haul an extra 70-90 lbs around with me all day long. I'm 5'3" 230lbs! I never thought I'd be like this.

Also, though I've always been outgoing and friendly, my self esteem is suffering immensely because of my body image. I'm tired of being out of breath and miserable. Also, I'm tired of "fat" fashions. I want to wear cute stuff again!

Along with all that, we've recently moved to a new state, something I've never done before. I haven't met many people yet and it's hard when you hide in the house all day because you don't want people to see how big you are.

Replies

• epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in pain! I would check with your doctor and ask him about your ability to try Tai Chi. It could really help with arthritis pain and is low impact. It definitely makes me feel good, though I only have minor back pain. But definitely check with your doctor, first.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    welcome
    this is a great site. I have fibromyalgia so I know all about trying to exercise and not give in to comfort eating when you are in excruciating pain all the time. I have been swimming and walking and doing the wii fit plus. If you have children you can still get in swimming and walking, even if you have to put them in a stroller (actually you burn more calories if you are pushing them) If you want to add me as a friend feel free. You can do this
  • tulips0312
    Options
    I've heard of Tai Chi, but never considered it. I have to go in the morning for an epidural injection in my back, so I will ask the doc then
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I have every sympathy with you. Although older than you have similar problems which have forced me to have back surgery after which I gained a lot of weight which I am now trying to lose. I still have spinal stenosis, fybromyalgia &arthritis & swimming is the only exercise I can do but it really does help the pain as the water takes my weight.
    You can & you will be successful here, have faith but it will take time but not as long as it takes me as my meds make it more difficult. Learn to eat healthily, let all the family learn to eat healthily & you will all benefit.
    Feel free to add me for support & good luck making new friends.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Also check with your dr about walk away the pounds. It is a low impact in home work out video. I have a degenerative disc and my dr had recommended walking. (That was before I decided to lose weight).
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Welcome 'Tulips" and I am sorry that you are having such a hard time. : (

The one thing (off-topic, I know...sorry) that I found that helped my self esteem is to do your ticker the other way once you lose a few pounds. I had the same amount to lose, but it was waaaaaay too hard (and seemed totally UN-attainable) to look at all those pounds I still had to lose. So I changed it to what I had already lost. It seemed more +positive+ to me. Also, I am looking at losing 10 pounds at a time so it doesn't seem like so much! I have already lost 2 1/2 -10 pound mini goals.

You might also want to also put out another topic that you're looking for anyone else in your area that you could have as a workout-buddy. We are ALL here to help you, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to work out with you, as I am in New Hampshire (the other end of your world!!) I hope it doesn't take too long before you don't feel so all alone. But you will NEVER be alone with us MFPeeps (thanks to Kerridodson for the term!)

*Hugs!*
    Donna
  • 3110cynthia
    Options
    I'm in almost exactly the same position as you. Dr. wants to fix my back with surgery. I have a torn disc and L5S1. The pain makes it so that i can only walk for about 10 minutes before i have to sit down. And pain meds and injuections only go so far. I just moved to a new area where i know noone (a yr ago recently haha) and have yet to meet anyone not related to medical profession. I'm terribly lonely and since i can't get out my sister recommended this site and i joined a few days ago and i feel more connected already. I hope MFP helps you.
  • tulips0312
    Options
    My arthritis, degeneration and herniation are also in the L4L5S1 region. I didn't realize how much of your body the nerves in this particular area affect. I guess I should have thought twice about working with patients in the ER as an ER tech. All that lifting... Never thought I'd have arthritis and what not at 34. I want to get this weight off to take all the load and pressure off my back!!!
  • tulips0312
    Options
    Well, it went well, but I've never had an injection where they purposely make your entire leg numb. It was great while it lasted (about 8 hours on and off).