Question about a weight workout plan...

Options
I started a few weeks back using the various weight machines at the gym. I do not feel comfortable with free weights, as I already don't know what I am doing with the machines. I set up a new routine for me, that took about 60 minutes to get through. To those who know about these things, does this seem ok? Not enough? Too much at once?

Is it enough, if I do it lets say 2 to 3 times a week?

I also did a shorter version of that, with some cardio, sort of like 50/50.

What would be better? Keeping the two separate? Mixing?

How does this look?
1525578_10153726561715265_1614984147_n.jpg

Thanks.

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look too bad. You might consider doing a lat pulldown, not that crazy about the torso rotation. I would go up some in weight so you were doing 8-10 reps. I would do the routine 3 times a week, and do carido 3 times a week and take one rest day.
    Mike
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Take an information session at your gym to get familiar with the equipment and don't be afraid of free weights, check out resources such as bodybuilding.com or the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I would definitely keep to 2 - 3 times a week.

I go and do free weights 2-3 times a week, but I focus on the whole body, some compound lifts, and exercises for the legs, core and back, and upper body.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Move the curls to after the rows, add a set or two for triceps after your chest and shoulder pressing.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well those are the machines that I have tried. Not sure how many others they have but I'll take a look and make a note of them. Since I am not so sure about what to do, I figured a bit of everything, like circuit training, if that is what its called, could be a good start.

@Shawshankcan any reason to doing the curls after the row?

@ashleydupon they only have the option to pay for a trainer for $20 bucks, and since I'm not working, that is more needed for gas to get to school where the gym is as well.

@halleymw Not sure what a lat pull down is. The weight limit I have set now I think is where I should start. I am really weak in my arms and that is why there is such low weight limits for arm things, like the Arm Curls. If you note, the Overhead Press, only 1 set, my arms had just about all they could take at that point.

I do want to try and do this 3 times a week. Also, I'm not doing them in the order on the note there. I just have them listed so I know what I want to do. I end up going to whatever machine is free at the time, and move on to the next as I can.

Now as I said in the first post, this took about 60 minutes. Does this for now, seem like a plan that would help me? To have some sort of affect after sometime? My main goal is losing weight and trying to tone as I do.

Thanks to all that replied.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Quite a nice balance there considering you just want to use machines.
    The workout should balance push exercises with pull exercises with the main focus on compound movements (many muscles - examples chest press and rows) as opposed to isolation movements (single muscle - example curls).

Starting with the big compound lifts is my preference, I tend to split my circuit into two smaller circuits. The big compound lifts first when muscles are fresh and only move on to the isolation exercises afterwards.
    Google lat pulldown as I would be surprised if there isn't a machine for that in your gym.

Agree with the comment about reducing reps, if you can comfortably do 10 reps increase the weight (you should be struggling on your last couple of reps whatever number you choose). Don't be too hung up on rep ranges overall or what weight you think you can lift. The effort you put in and pushing to failure is far more important to progress.

Overhead press is very common to feel is very difficult - small muscles doing an unusual movement fatigue quickly. Would definitely do more sets of these and early on in your routine.

Two options you might like to consider when you are comfortable to get away from machines are bodyweight exercises (pull ups, dips, plank, push ups etc...) and dumbbells. People find dumbbells less intimidating than barbells for some reason.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    That sucks about the fee.

Do you know anyone that could give you a run down of the machines? or ask someone?

Usually most machines have a little picture describing the exercise and the proper way to do it.

When I start a new exercise sometimes I have to change the weight part way through if I find it too heavy or too light.

Good luck
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The lat pulldown is basically the opposite of the overhead press, ie you pull down with your arms instead of push up with them. Most gyms will have a machine to do this with. If not, another option would be the assisted pull up machine.
    mike
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Ok, so we do have a Lat Pull. I did some yesterday, 3 sets of 12.

I'm thinking as mentioned here, to cut the reps down and do more sets. At 10 reps on some of these machines I am struggling, so getting those 2 more is a killer.

Of those in my list above, and the Lat Pull, can someone go through and maybe organize what would be good first and then after that, etc. Like a order I should try for if possible? Or does that not matter much? Are any listed too similar to one where I should just cut it, and do more sets of the other?

Thanks everyone.

And yes, we do have pictures on the machines and that is how I've been doing it.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Just want to update and say that I am sticking with this workout plan, though I did add 2 more machines. I am working on a Strength one day, then nothing, then strength, then nothing, then strength, then nothing, then cardio, then nothing then cardio, then nothing and then start over again with strength.

At least that is the plan.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just want to update and say that I am sticking with this workout plan, though I did add 2 more machines. I am working on a Strength one day, then nothing, then strength, then nothing, then strength, then nothing, then cardio, then nothing then cardio, then nothing and then start over again with strength.

At least that is the plan.

if on machines always do chest press, dips. lat pulldowns, pull ups and leg press never do more than 10 rep per set s, after these add whatever but work your *kitten* off on these
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Talk to a trainer! I totes magotes understand that weights can be intimidating and lord knows where your arms and legs and elbows and such go to use the machines. I just met with one earlier this week, and I now feel confidant enough to start squatting and deadlifting (things that were as foreign to me as icelandic before). Bodybuilding.com is also a great resource for beginners. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • hilts1969
    Options
    Talk to a trainer! I totes magotes understand that weights can be intimidating and lord knows where your arms and legs and elbows and such go to use the machines. I just met with one earlier this week, and I now feel confidant enough to start squatting and deadlifting (things that were as foreign to me as icelandic before). Bodybuilding.com is also a great resource for beginners. Best of luck :flowerforyou:

good points about squats and deadlifts wish i could do them, personal trainers in my experience though are hit and miss, 50% of them i wouldn't listen to in an empty room, the guy at my gym has people doing push ups and crunches
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman.

after you have read them familiarize yourself with form for compound movements - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, rows, pull up/chin up, etc and then build a program around them where you lift heavy and work in 6-10 rep range….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    youtube is a great free resource for form ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

good points about squats and deadlifts wish i could do them, personal trainers in my experience though are hit and miss, 50% of them i wouldn't listen to in an empty room, the guy at my gym has people doing push ups and crunches
    why can't you do them?
  • hilts1969
    Options

why can't you do them?

achilles tear and dodgy knees, can run for england but not squat
  • ndj1979
    Options

why can't you do them?

that blows bro …:(
  • hilts1969
    Options

why can't you do them?

that blows bro …:(

it does i will be the chicken legged guy wearing his tracksuit bottoms at the beach
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    I'm not looking into doing like weights on a bar, but more of just the machines right now. I have a bad back and a bad knee. My knee you can hear it crunch when I bend it or go up steps. Really sucks.

I would like to talk to a trainer but honestly my gym usually is just a bunch of other students working student jobs, plus the extra money to meet with one for an hour is a bit of a not right now type of expense.

So you are saying I should not do more than 10 reps? At a time? I was doing 10, but then someone I met at a store who was coming from their gym and we got to talking stated their trainer said at lease 12 of something. So more weight and less reps?
  • hilts1969
    Options
    I'm not looking into doing like weights on a bar, but more of just the machines right now. I have a bad back and a bad knee. My knee you can hear it crunch when I bend it or go up steps. Really sucks.

I would like to talk to a trainer but honestly my gym usually is just a bunch of other students working student jobs, plus the extra money to meet with one for an hour is a bit of a not right now type of expense.

So you are saying I should not do more than 10 reps? At a time? I was doing 10, but then someone I met at a store who was coming from their gym and we got to talking stated their trainer said at lease 12 of something. So more weight and less reps?

yes 3x10 is a good place to start, remember do the big muscles first when you are fresh, i was doing all sort of bicep nonsense when i started and got nowhere, just started with the dips,pull ups, lats and chest press and have started to see a difference

my routine for what it is worth

pull day lat pulldown- 5 minute walk treadmill- chin ups -jog treadmill - row - leg press - bicep curls

push day chest press- 5 minute walk - dips - jog - flys - overhead press