Net Calories?

Options
I've seen a couple other users mention net calories. And I would like some clarification.

In the past, and now, I would eat 'x' amount of calories, say 1,200 calories.
No more then that. And also exercise.

So if I'm eating 1,200 calories. But burn off 300, am I supposed to eat 300 (healthy) calories? I've never done that in the past, so I'm confused.

Can someone please explain all this to me?

Thank you! !

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes you should eat your exercise calories back. MFP has already built in your deficet and those exercise calories (or at least a portion of them) need to be eaten back.

Your net calories should not go below 1200 to be healthy.

I read your profile and you said you wanted to do this in a healthy way...

So make sure you are eating enough to fuel your exercise and add in some resistence/strenght training so you don't lose muscle mass along with fat. Eat enough protien

Since your diary isn't open it's hard to tell what you are eating but based on your ticker you have about 50lbs to lose and based on stats you could be eating at much at 1600 calories a day.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How do I make my diary open?

And I don't know why I have never heard of that before, I've been dieting off and on. And it could be one of the reasons I would always be hungry and fail. I've done Atkins and and did net carbs, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this with calories.

I'm started using T25 Monday as my exercise. I have 8 pound weights for arms, but haven't used them except for yesterday.

I also have Brazil But Lift. Now, I have zero rhythm, which is why I am doing T25 now. But after this first week on T25, I plan on doing the stand alone from the Brazil But Lift program, just not the dance cardio. As a supplement to help my lower body more. Hopefully that is a good enough workout program, I can't afford a gym like I used to.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple other users mention net calories. And I would like some clarification.

In the past, and now, I would eat 'x' amount of calories, say 1,200 calories.
    No more then that. And also exercise.

So if I'm eating 1,200 calories. But burn off 300, am I supposed to eat 300 (healthy) calories? I've never done that in the past, so I'm confused.

Can someone please explain all this to me?

Thank you! !

As stated before, yes, this is how MFP is set up. When you enter in your personal information and goals, it figures out how many calories you should eat to put you in a deficit the size that would fit they goals you entered.

If you don't feel comfortable eating back exercise caloreis, you can mess around with your activity level setting to make MFP work more like TDEE -(x)%
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    To open your diary go to Settings at the top of the page. Choose Diary Settings and then choose Public.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To open your diary go to Settings at the top of the page. Choose Diary Settings and then choose Public.

Thank you!