Pasta question???

Options
This may be a dumb question -but, do you measure the pasta by weight - before or after it is cooked? :huh:

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for the weight of the serving size listed on the package- dry.
    If you're looking to match a value in the database.....you're guess is as good as mine!
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    According to the Food Guide Pyramid and the Diabetic Exchange System, a serving of pasta is ½ cup of cooked pasta (this is equivalent to about 2 ounces of cooked pasta). This would provide approximately 80-100 calories and 15-20 grams of carbohydrate.

In summary, a good generalization to measure pasta measures is as follows:

1 Serving cooked pasta = 2 ounces or ½ cup

1 Serving uncooked pasta = 1 ounce or ¼ cup
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    According to the Food Guide Pyramid and the Diabetic Exchange System, a serving of pasta is ½ cup of cooked pasta (this is equivalent to about 2 ounces of cooked pasta). This would provide approximately 80-100 calories and 15-20 grams of carbohydrate.

In summary, a good generalization to measure pasta measures is as follows:

1 Serving cooked pasta = 2 ounces or ½ cup

1 Serving uncooked pasta = 1 ounce or ¼ cup

So this is basically the reason I just don't eat it any longer . . . 1/2 cup???? . . . boy that sure is a small looking serving on your plate!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Actually 2 oz of dry pasta usually = 1 cup of cooked pasta... and, yes, the serving size on the box is calculated from dry weight.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    This.
    Actually 2 oz of dry pasta usually = 1 cup of cooked pasta... and, yes, the serving size on the box is calculated from dry weight.
  • sanrog
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone - 1/2 cup of pasta is just not enough - I think I will go with 2oz of uncooked equal 1 cup of cooked. I have Ronzoni Whole Grain and it has 2 oz = 180cal.