38 inch waist too big?

Options
I have lost 4 and a half inches around my belly, is 38 inches still to big or is it ok? It doesn't look big to me at all, but i see other people saying that 34 is the average. I am naturally wide and have a big frame, so would that make a difference?

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have lost 4 and a half inches around my belly, is 38 inches still to big or is it ok? It doesn't look big to me at all, but i see other people saying that 34 is the average. I am naturally wide and have a big frame, so would that make a difference?

Research would suggest that 38" is still too big, but it's your body and your choice.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Research would suggest that 38" is still too big, but it's your body and your choice.

Yeah i agree with what you are saying. I don't get how people class it as to big though, because it looks almost flat to me. I am broad so maybe that has something to do with it :)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    6 foot male. 240 - 245 lbs.

38 inch waist now.

And no, because I have big chest and big shoulders, 38 inch waist looks slim.

You will see a lot of skinny/fat 32 inch / 34 inch waist out of porportion.

So... it's all about your build and porportion.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    How tall are you ??
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I am nearly 6ft 4
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation says a waist size over 37" for men and 31.5" for women poses greater risk of developing coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. But given your height you probably "scale up" OK!

One of my goals it to get under a 31.5" waist; I definitely hold more fat around my midriff now I'm older.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My fiance is 6'3," weighs 215 and his waist is 36. He's not fat at all. He wears XXL shirts because his shoulders are so broad and the shirts just hang, they don't even come close touching his stomach.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation says a waist size over 37" for men and 31.5" for women poses greater risk of developing coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. But given your height you probably "scale up" OK!

One of my goals it to get under a 31.5" waist; I definitely hold more fat around my midriff now I'm older.

That's just the same as BMI . Every body builder or person with a lot of muscle mass comes out as OBESE or morbidly obese according to bmi, even if they have sub 10% body fat.

Those recommendations don't take into account a lot of factors and is quite generalized.

amount of Visceral fat vs subcutaneous tummy fat should be a bigger indicator of developing diseases rather than waist size.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Apparently a 25 inch waist is about a size 8... thats where I am aiming!
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When you look in the mirror are you happy? Do you look proportionate? No one is perfect! Only you know the answer :-)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I am 6ft 3 and around 190 lbs so hopefully 38 is ok. It's slowly going down so i should be ok lol. Thanks for all of your help. Like someone else said it's all about proportion and i am quite a broad guy. I guess i could do with loosing another inch or two!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 6ft 4

Height does play a role. I think half your height is the border for healthy and unhealthy by that measurement, so you're there.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a big male so probably perfectly fine.

However even for women I say 38" waist is a huge accomplishment if you used to measure at 45". Just my take on things. I know I still need to lose more weight and inches but it's cool being able to wear my husband's old jeans.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    All about the build. I'm a 6' male who currently has a 29" waist, and still a lot of fat to shift, will likely be 26-27 by the time I'm at a reasonable fat level. I just have a tiny skeleton. The only thing that matters is your BF, everything else will vary wildly between any two people.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    When you look in the mirror are you happy? Do you look proportionate? No one is perfect! Only you know the answer :-)

When i stand in front of the mirror it seems pretty flat, but if i sit down it hangs over a little bit lol. I think it looks ok though (as long as i dont sit down) :P
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 6ft 4

Looked at your ticker. At 6'4" 190lbs I'm guessing you're waist is normal for your size but I wouldn't put to much stock in numbers since they're really only broad guidelines. Peopel vary so wildly. I'm 5'11" 242lbs and my waist is 40 inches. If you saw me though you'd probably think I was 10-15lbs overweight rather than the 50lbs guidelines say. I have tree trunk legs and a wide frame in general.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I see what you're saying :) People have told me before I need to stop caring about the numbers and care about how i look and feel about myself
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I am 6ft 3 and around 190 lbs so hopefully 38 is ok. It's slowly going down so i should be ok lol. Thanks for all of your help. Like someone else said it's all about proportion and i am quite a broad guy. I guess i could do with loosing another inch or two!

I'm 6' 3, 210lbs and my 34-36 inch waist is no where near flat.
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Must just be proportions then because mine definitely doesn't stick out a lot
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    maybe i am measuring the wrong part lol, under you belly button right?