Dry vs. Cooked Amounts?

Options
Anybody know how measurements might change for dry ingredients like beans & rice etc. to when they are cooked?

For example, my brown rice calories are listed for dry, uncooked amounts.

Was wondering if it makes sense to perhaps double the dry amount for a cooked equivalent?

Thanks! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    That would depend on how it was prepared. Rice for instance, if it is listed as 1/2c dry and you cook it in plain water, no matter what amount you end up with (usually 1c) the amount of calories remain the same (water has no calories). If you used the same 1/2c of rice and prepared it with chicken broth you would have to add the calories from the rice as well as the chicken broth used to get the final calories. If you only eat half of the amount after it is prepared then you divide the calories by 2.

When you cook dried beans you will need to keep track of what ever else you put in the water for flavoring. Add all the calories from the misc stuff to the calories from the dried beans. Divide by how ever many servings are in the completed dish.

Make sense?
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Many dry ingredients cook up to 3X their dry volume when cooked. 1 cup dry rice + 2 cups water = 3 cups cooked rice. I think oatmeal and many other dry foods behave the same way, so I would use 3 as the multiplier if lacking other information.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the input........ :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

I mostly cook with plain water as chicken broth etc, adds calories & sodium.