ARE ALL DIETERS MESSED UP IN THE HEAD?

Options
From one extreme to the other...

That can't be normal.

Something must be off in our heads compared to people that can maintain their whole lives without ever getting too fat, let it be

lack of self control, emotional eating, etc.

A screw's missing, what is it?

Replies

• fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Our species evolved in times when the availability of food was sporadic and you had to eat all the calorie dense food you could whenever you had the chance. Now the food is everywhere always and we have to fight our instincts. We are more fish out of water than messed up in the head.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a "I'm bored, so I'll eat thing" or an "emotional eating" problem.

Personally, I'm a junk food junkie. Even if I'm not hungry and something sweet is around... I have to eat it. I bodybuild, have my diet in check, and know what I can and can't do and I still battle with sweets.

I've learned to incorporate a small fix or it by making a majority of my carbs junk food, and yes, I've lost weight AND built and continue to build muscle doing this so don't lecture me on "YOU NEED OATS AND SWEET POTATOES"... I call that mentality B.S.
  • AlanByam
    Options
    I think we're just easily convinced that one way or another is the best way.
    I try to explain it to people, when they say, "wow what have you done to lose weight?" i know they just want some miracle solution, like, "i took a pill for a week". They never want to hear, I eat better, less, and exercise.
  • LongShot24
    LongShot24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was 60 pounds heavier, it was out of ignorance. Ignorance of healthy eating and portion control. I wouldn't say messed up in the head, but I would eat till I was pleasantly stuffed instead of satisfied. I would agree that basic human survival comes into play, my body wanted to store food (fat).
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know a calorie is a calorie but I've heard that if I only eat through my eyes I will lose more weight than if I eat through my mouth? T/F?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Our species evolved in times when the availability of food was sporadic and you had to eat all the calorie dense food you could whenever you had the chance. Now the food is everywhere always and we have to fight our instincts. We are more fish out of water than messed up in the head.

This. Plus we're all bored and we're constantly looking for something to do. Even busy people are looking for something to do when they're not busy. Everything seems to involve food. Go out to eat with friends. Go to a movie and get popcorn. Go out for drinks. Have people over for drinks. Having a crappy day so get comfort food. Having a good day get some good food to celebrate. I could go on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That can't be normal.

Something must be off in our heads compared to people that can maintain their whole lives without ever getting too fat, let it be

No, not all.

I was thin most of my life. My metabolism changed in my late 20s and since I'd never HAD to think about dieting or what and how much I was eating, it came down to learning it. Then I had issues with birth control. I rarely overeat. I exercise (actually enjoy it) and am not an emotional eater in any way.

I eat when I'm hungry, I stop when I'm not anymore. I don't have a screwed up relationship with food, either. Yet, I'm 40 pounds heavier than I want to be.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But so is everyone with two legs.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eating from being bored, or just saying you are too busy to pay attention to everything you eat. It will always be a struggle for me, and I have to work at it every day
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

That can't be normal.

As America's and Europe's growing obesity problems prove, there aren't that many people who just maintain their whole lives without ever getting too fat. Those people are the ones who work physical jobs and don't have a lot of free social time. Today's society allows primarily sedentary work with lots of free time to relax, which usually includes snacking.
    back in the pioneer days, time not spent working to earn money was spent planting, harvesting and storing food so no one would starve to death in the winter. Those stores had to last all winter, so no one was snacking on extra during that time, they were working on other projects they might not have had time for during summer work-time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say "messed up in the head." In my case, I genuinely believe my problem was that I really, really liked good food and did not even pay attention to how much I was eating or how many calories I burned. It sounds silly now to say that I didn't know something as elementary as "(calories in > calories out) x time = fatty" but I really didn't understand what I was doing to myself, and I guess my weight didn't bother me enough to do anything about it until it bothered me enough to do something about it.

Some people stop eating when they are physically satisfied, no matter how good the food is or how much is still on their plates. They don't even have to say to themselves "You're done. Stop eating." It's just their natural response to being full. I have never been one of those people. If the food is good, I eat until it's gone, and then I still want more. The difference between now and when I was fat is that I am now fully aware of how many calories I burn on a typical day, and I'm fully aware that if I eat more than that, I will gain weight. Having that information is enough to overcome my desire to keep eating. It's not easy, but I can do it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No, but I think that traditional "dieting" can create psychological issues, especially if it is repeated over and over again ("yo yo dieting".)

You only have to look at what happened to the men who took part in The Minnesota Semi Starvation experiment who were well adjusted prior it to see just how badly restriction of choice, deprivation and dieting can affect people mentally.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There actually aren't many people that never get fat without dieting. it's just that some people diet before they get fat, and others don't start until they are overweight or obese.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a screw missing

I think people become over weight for various reasons.

Lack of knowledge on the calories in what they are eating
    Thinking that they can eat like they did as teenagers/early 20's
    Thinking that once they lose weight they can go back to their old habits.
    Going on a "diet" and not making it a life change.
    Blaming everything else except the food they put in their mouth for the weight gain. Ie "oh I have a slow metabolism" per that youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
    We often celebrate and/or comiserate with food...wedding receptions/snacks after a funeral/celebration dinners for raises/new jobs
    Some people eat when bored and never think about what they are eating
    Being in denial about what they eat and how much exercise they really do.

I wont say eating when not hungry because hunger does not signify you need more calories neither does lack of hunger indicate you've had enough.

If people make that choice to be accountable to themselves and log accurately (every bit, sip etc weighed) and ate at a deficet they will lose weight...sometimes it is slow due to medical issues...but it still happens.

or eat at maintenance to well maintain we wouldn't have this issue of "diets" and "yo-yos"

TL/DR: no screws loose...just ignorant or in denial or just doesn't care.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say "messed up in the head." In my case, I genuinely believe my problem was that I really, really liked good food and did not even pay attention to how much I was eating or how many calories I burned. It sounds silly now to say that I didn't know something as elementary as "(calories in > calories out) x time = fatty" but I really didn't understand what I was doing to myself, and I guess my weight didn't bother me enough to do anything about it until it bothered me enough to do something about it.

Some people stop eating when they are physically satisfied, no matter how good the food is or how much is still on their plates. They don't even have to say to themselves "You're done. Stop eating." It's just their natural response to being full. I have never been one of those people. If the food is good, I eat until it's gone, and then I still want more. The difference between now and when I was fat is that I am now fully aware of how many calories I burn on a typical day, and I'm fully aware that if I eat more than that, I will gain weight. Having that information is enough to overcome my desire to keep eating. It's not easy, but I can do it.

This totally sums up my experiences with being overweight and relationship to weight reduction and food to a T.
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have ptsd, but even then I am the adult making the choice whether or not to find healthier coping mechanisms than food.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think there are a combination of factors- insecurity, low self esteem, anxiety, hangriness, malnurtrition, stress, depression, just to name a few- that makes the general population of MFP seem mentally unstable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I definitely am :laugh:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I agree and I am the same way as you. When I eat something that tastes good I want more, even if I am already full. The feeling of fullness does not make me stop eating. Either will power or lack of availability make me stop eating. I dont know why I am this way, I always have been for as long as I can remember.

My husband, who doesn't struggle with weight, will stop eating when he is full, no matter how much he is enjoying his food. He does not understand my compulsion to want to keep eating after I am full.