Frustrated Betty Rocker Challenger

Options
Amiwil
Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
Hi all! I have no friends please add me and help! I want big friends, medium friends, small friends, old friends and young friends. My frustration is this: I've been doing my diet since January 1 and I've lost 13.8 lbs which is terrible I think. I originally started this program last march, 2013, and got down to 217. That was the lightest I had been in years. Then I fell way off track around October and I had gone back up to 256. Initially a year ago I was 284.8 lbs at 5'7(yes I know, disgusting). Very happy I didn't gain my whole 60 lb weight loss back. But, I feel like this week all I've been doing is fluctuating between 240 and 242. I'm pissed because I started the Betty rocker 30 day challenge on Sunday but have not lost ANYTHING so far. I've been eating around my calorie goal, sometimes under it. But healthy nonetheless.

I feel as though I should have lost more weight by now especially now that I'm finally exercising. I lost this 13.8 without doing anything! I'm almost done doing week 1 of Betty rocker and I must say I feel a little different, stronger definitely. My problem areas are my back fat and severe belly fat.

I try eating every 3 hours starting at 830 am. I've opened my diary to the public. I seriously want BLUNT suggestions. I haven't been below 200lbs since I was 11 years old and I'm desperately trying to do it this time. Help.

Your new friend,

Amina

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs. You're doing great.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything. Find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of junk data in there.) Eat back half of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Um....over 13lbs in 17 days?? I would be elated with those results! Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went on a calorie counting diet about 6 months a go lost 2 stone, then put a stone and a half back on. *sigh*. I am trying again now and this time I am incorporating exercise into my regime. My rate of weight loss has been slower this time around even though I am exercising more.

Despite this I can see a positive change in my figure and I feel better, which is what matters really. 14lbs is a lot of weight to lose in less than three weeks so don't feel down hearted. If you were to lose 2lbs a week, you would be under 200lbs in 5 months. When you lose weight slowly, you will more likely keep it off, as the longer time will help adjust to a new lifestyle rather than just a temporary diet.

If you have reached a plateau then I would recommend you take a closer look at your calorie intake. For example, are you including the cooking oil you use? Salad dressings? Sauces? Drinks (e.g. Alcohol, Coffee, Fizzy Drinks). These extra calories can certainly add up.

For me I am just waiting for the exercise to kick in on the weight loss. If I lose a pound a week, it's better than nothing.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    So in 17 days you have lost 13.8 lbs? And that is horrible how? I say this because you have to realize that the recommended loss rate is 1-2 lbs per WEEK, not day. (you asked for BLUNT). Be patient and learn from the process. Make lasting changes to your fitness, diet, and mental attitude. That is the only way you will be able to keep it off for the long term. A lot of people want to see that magic number in a few short weeks, but this isn't a TV show and you probably don't have time to workout 6-8 hours a day. The message put out by weight loss shows and in magazines is that we should lose large amounts of weight or consider it a failure. NOT TRUE. Fast loss doesn't equate to long term success. Sure you may see that goal weight, but it doesn't mean you will stay there when you are "done." I've done this weight loss thing many time, up and down like a roller coaster. It is easy to lose focus, but knowing the hows and whys behind it all and realizing it is a lifetime of attention to it all will help you stay closer to where you want to be.

You need to research what weight loss is really like. Learn about metabolism, healthy diet, and fitness principles. Set reasonable goals and understand that this is not a sprint. This is about making lasting changes.
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs. You're doing great.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything. Find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of junk data in there.) Eat back half of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

A year?! Omg how frustrated you must've been! I'd die, seriously. I'm going to take a look into that blog, thanks! I do weigh everything. I follow the barosolutions plan and enter all of my substances used and eaten EVERYDAY. And when I see the fatty Mediterranean feta salad and eat two scoops on mini toasts I add those too, even though I know that's 20g of fat I gotta work off. Not bad fat, but fat still.
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Um....over 13lbs in 17 days?? I would be elated with those results! Remember, slow and steady wins the race!

Omg you're right I sound like a crybaby. Disgusting!
  • Amiwil
    Options
    I went on a calorie counting diet about 6 months a go lost 2 stone, then put a stone and a half back on. *sigh*. I am trying again now and this time I am incorporating exercise into my regime. My rate of weight loss has been slower this time around even though I am exercising more.

Despite this I can see a positive change in my figure and I feel better, which is what matters really. 14lbs is a lot of weight to lose in less than three weeks so don't feel down hearted. If you were to lose 2lbs a week, you would be under 200lbs in 5 months. When you lose weight slowly, you will more likely keep it off, as the longer time will help adjust to a new lifestyle rather than just a temporary diet.

If you have reached a plateau then I would recommend you take a closer look at your calorie intake. For example, are you including the cooking oil you use? Salad dressings? Sauces? Drinks (e.g. Alcohol, Coffee, Fizzy Drinks). These extra calories can certainly add up.

For me I am just waiting for the exercise to kick in on the weight loss. If I lose a pound a week, it's better than nothing.

You're right I am waiting for the exercise to kick in. I guess I need to learn patience. It's hard since last year I had lost 30 lbs in a month! We have similar stories :)
  • Amiwil
    Options
    So in 17 days you have lost 13.8 lbs? And that is horrible how? I say this because you have to realize that the recommended loss rate is 1-2 lbs per WEEK, not day. (you asked for BLUNT). Be patient and learn from the process. Make lasting changes to your fitness, diet, and mental attitude. That is the only way you will be able to keep it off for the long term. A lot of people want to see that magic number in a few short weeks, but this isn't a TV show and you probably don't have time to workout 6-8 hours a day. The message put out by weight loss shows and in magazines is that we should lose large amounts of weight or consider it a failure. NOT TRUE. Fast loss doesn't equate to long term success. Sure you may see that goal weight, but it doesn't mean you will stay there when you are "done." I've done this weight loss thing many time, up and down like a roller coaster. It is easy to lose focus, but knowing the hows and whys behind it all and realizing it is a lifetime of attention to it all will help you stay closer to where you want to be.

You need to research what weight loss is really like. Learn about metabolism, healthy diet, and fitness principles. Set reasonable goals and understand that this is not a sprint. This is about making lasting changes.

You're right. I didn't realize how much the biggest loser has obscured my thinking lol. I have GOT to stop watching those things. I definitely can't make my job working out so I needed your mental check. I guess I get overwhelmed looking at all these great weight loss stories on supermarket shelves and tv that I get down on myself. I want a Beyoncé body but who doesn't! I also don't have millions, a chef, a personal trainer, and a nanny. My mind was racing ahead of my body, and I need responses like this to bring me back down to earth. When I say blunt I meant it, and thank you!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Slow down! It will happen, eat right and exercise! You cant except to drop massive amts of weight overnight! It took years to put it on so except the same to take it off!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Since January 1, I've lost 2.2 pounds. Everyone's body is different.

The key is consistency. You can't rush anything! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep seeing results.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Haha! I was thinking the same thing! If I lost 13.8 pounds in 17 days I'd be almost halfway to my short term goal!! :laugh:

Hang in there OP! The first few are the easiest... :flowerforyou:
  • ebates21
    ebates21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have ever met Ms. Betty Rocker in person- you would be disgusted by the way she treats people. She calls women "stupid" and "dumb" frequently. Her "challenges" are not suitable for everyone and if you cannot keep up- you are labeled- in her words- "too dumb to even look at."

Do not give this disgusting human being a cent of your money. She speaks so badly about her clients, I am surprised she even has clients left!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Blunt suggestion - look up "squishy fat and whooshes." It's a genius explanation why and how people lose weight in spurts.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Amiwil wrote: »
    I'm pissed because I started the Betty rocker 30 day challenge on Sunday but have not lost ANYTHING so far. I've been eating around my calorie goal, sometimes under it. But healthy nonetheless.

I feel as though I should have lost more weight by now especially now that I'm finally exercising. I lost this 13.8 without doing anything! I'm almost done doing week 1 of Betty rocker and I must say I feel a little different, stronger definitely. My problem areas are my back fat and severe belly fat.

I tried the Betty Rocker 30 Day Challenge. I wasn't crazy about it. When I did it, once the day was over, you could not go back and redo the challenge at a later time. I wanted to be able to build on what I was doing. I found a 12-week ShapeUp Challenge that I really like and is similar to the Betty Rocker Challenge. It's free and you can repeat it over and over if you want. What's nice is that it also gives you a fitness challenge each day as well. As I am going through it for the second time (and had recorded how I did on every fitness challenge), I am able to see just how far I have come since starting this challenge. If you would like to check it out, here's the link for it: http://www.idealshape.com/blog/idealshape-up-challenge/workouts.php?utm_source=email&utm_medium=wf_isuc&utm_campaign=isuc01_ar.

Give it some time. If you haven't taken any of your measurements yet, keep track of those as well. You may not always see a change in your weight, but may see your measurements change for the better.

• rachaelshaw7
    rachaelshaw7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ebates21 wrote: »
    If you have ever met Ms. Betty Rocker in person- you would be disgusted by the way she treats people. She calls women "stupid" and "dumb" frequently. Her "challenges" are not suitable for everyone and if you cannot keep up- you are labeled- in her words- "too dumb to even look at."

Do not give this disgusting human being a cent of your money. She speaks so badly about her clients, I am surprised she even has clients left!

I am intrigued by your words. I'm thinking of signing up for her program - so your words stopped me in my tracks.

May I ask how you know this?

Can you point me to a video that shows this or something...

Thanks
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @rachaelshaw7 -- This thread is from 2014
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Twice resurrected :D