Gym question for the more experienced

Options
13»

Replies

• eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about you burning out than doing harm. Just understand that you don't need to hit the gym 6 days a week to see results. If you enjoy going to the gym, then it's fine, but it's far from necessary.

Understand that if your goal is to lose weight, your diet is by far the most important thing to keep in check. The resistance training you're doing is just there to help preserve your lean body mass while you're eating at a caloric deficit. As for cardio, this is probably the least important tool for your weight loss right now unless you really feel like you need the extra calories to eat enough food. That said, it's great for your health and I'm not trying to discourage it, but if you feel this is too much all at once, cutting back on the cardio is the first thing I'd suggest.

My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look. Food is my primary focus. I'm eating 1300-1400 calories a day and I don't eat the calories back on week days because I tend to go a little over on weekends. My diet is improving each week as I find new things to eat and remove processed food a bit at a time (I have a limitation with my living situation and cooking food that makes cooking from scratch difficult). Each weekend is getting a little better as I also find ways to stay healthy while on the go.

For more details I'm 5'4" female, 195 pounds on last weigh in (I weigh in once a month).
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Are you lifting 6 days a week? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. Walking is actually good for muscle recovery, so that is fine to do every day or even just on non-lifting days.

^^This
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    eyecandyrayce,
    what is your stomach routine?
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    Not sure I entirely agree. If she's doing an entire workout of crunches/planks, then sure, that's unnecessary. But just 1-2 short sessions/week (think 5-15 minutes) of sit-ups, crunches, planks, toe touches, etc. can really do wonders for strengthening your core when you're first starting out and can really make a big difference in how you feel on a daily basis. I'm not talking about a misguided 250 lb person doing crunches to achieve 6 pack abs - I'm talking about just feeling better when you sit-up in bed, when you're working around the house, etc.

I've been trying to work on building up some variety in working out my core and that was more what I was talking about. I do sit ups, crunches, planks and high steps (which I've been doing for working on balance) but I've been researching more to get more variety in strengthening my core. I hate how off balance I am.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    eyecandyrayce,
    what is your stomach routine?

sit ups, crunches, planks and high steps (which I've been doing for working on balance). But this is only for week 1. I'm researching core exercises because my goal for the "stomach work" is to strengthen my core because I hate how out of balance I am at my current weight. I used to be a dancer so being out of balance is frustrating me.
  • keithemp
    Options
    I've been trying to work on building up some variety in working out my core and that was more what I was talking about. I do sit ups, crunches, planks and high steps (which I've been doing for working on balance) but I've been researching more to get more variety in strengthening my core. I hate how off balance I am.

Good for you.

I think you're doing fine. Keep monitoring whether your muscles are sore or if you are hurt. There is a difference and you'll know the difference if it ever happens. Given that you have cardio days in between workouts means that you are giving your muscles time to relax and rest. Walking is great to get the doms out of your legs (at least in my experience).

Keep up the good work.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but my experience tells me that often Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), what you likely have, often feels worse two days after the workout that caused it than the day after. I am not sure on the mechanism involved in it feeling worse the second day, but if it is DOMS, getting active helps. Not working out hard, but an easy walk for 30 minutes helps.

As to working out six days a week, it is generally too much. Rest days are needed. Now realize something, even on rest days you should be active, but with a low intensity activity like walking or cycling.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You and I both know that OP is not talking about doing squats or deadlifts. She is talking about doing crunches.

and

If that is what YOU are talking about then just stop talking.

Core is beneficial for more than just your squats and deadlifts...

No where did the OP say "crunches", she said "stomach", YOU jumped to that conclusion.

It does appear I assumed right....

And read for understanding, references to squats and deadlifts are the moves that help your core far more than crunches ever will, not the other way around.
  • keithemp
    Options
    You and I both know that OP is not talking about doing squats or deadlifts. She is talking about doing crunches.

and

If that is what YOU are talking about then just stop talking.

Core is beneficial for more than just your squats and deadlifts...

No where did the OP say "crunches", she said "stomach", YOU jumped to that conclusion.

It does appear I assumed right....

And read for understanding, references to squats and deadlifts are the moves that help your core far more than crunches ever will, not the other way around.

Dude, I'm done arguing with you.

She said she knows she needs to do more core exercises and said she was looking online for more exercises for her core. The information I gave was correct based on the information that she had already provided.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. This has been a huge help. I'm going to review my work out regimen and keep moving forward with what I'm doing :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see how 6 days a week in the gym is good...value? I'd want to be ripped if I was spending anything like 6+hours lifting weights.

I go 3 times a week and am following a stronglifts 5*5 progam +a few extras (dips and plank with some rowing machine chucked in). I have 30s between reps and am in and out i the hour...

I also run 5k at least twice a week - I cannot stand being indoors and whiling away the time trying to focus on one thing - All over strength and fitness has to be key IMO.

It is a personal thing but I can see time being wasted and so the value is in being efficient with your time. get in, do your stuff, get out.

My fiancee works nights and I have nothing else to do but sit home alone and be bored, depressed, lonely and eat. So personally, this is not a waste of time for me.

Also, having just moved to Dallas from Seattle.. being outdoors here is depressing to me. There are no mountains, people trash the nature parks without a care and the summers are hot as hell.

mine lives 2 hrs away and I only see him 2x a week- and on HIS weekend- which is wed/thursday- and yes I work a full time job.
    Find a hobby.

Working out is good.
    Working out a lot can be good- but you can't do it all the time at all the hours.

take up under water basket weaving if you want- cross sitch- dance classes. There are loads to do in Seattle- I have two very good friends who live there and are extremely happy. And two different- VERY different people at that- one is a international known bellydancer- who is married to a fabulous muscian and she creates jewlery and art. The other one is a VA Tech Engineer who is a busy body motorcycle rider- who loves doing wood work and photography.

There is plenty of stuff to do. Go find something to do. sitting at home being depressed at eating is lame.... and a lousy excuse to spend hours at the gym.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    mine lives 2 hrs away and I only see him 2x a week- and on HIS weekend- which is wed/thursday- and yes I work a full time job.
    Find a hobby.

Working out is good.
    Working out a lot can be good- but you can't do it all the time at all the hours.

take up under water basket weaving if you want- cross sitch- dance classes. There are loads to do in Seattle- I have two very good friends who live there and are extremely happy. And two different- VERY different people at that- one is a international known bellydancer- who is married to a fabulous muscian and she creates jewlery and art. The other one is a VA Tech Engineer who is a busy body motorcycle rider- who loves doing wood work and photography.

There is plenty of stuff to do. Go find something to do. sitting at home being depressed at eating is lame.... and a lousy excuse to spend hours at the gym.

I moved FROM Seattle.. not to.

And I was more asking about if my body was telling me to take a break or not. I wasn't asking if people approve or think my life isn't full and eventful enough. I'm happy doing this and it is not unhealthy for me to do so from anything I can find.

I apologize if I'm coming off a little frustrated but I find it rude to give strangers advice on their personal life when it wasn't requested.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby.

Working out is good.

I moved FROM Seattle.. not to.

And I was more asking about if my body was telling me to take a break or not. I wasn't asking if people approve or think my life isn't full and eventful enough. I'm happy doing this and it is not unhealthy for me to do so from anything I can find.

I apologize if I'm coming off a little frustrated but I find it rude to give strangers advice on their personal life when it wasn't requested.

all I have to do is sit at home and be depressed and lonely.

Filling it with constant exercise isn't the answer either.

I apologize if you think it's rude- I just think waiting around for some one to not be bored is - a big fat meh.

Going 6 days a week unless you are detail training is completely unnecessary for your average person. Unless you are training for something- it's just not required.

And yes- I mis- read the prepositions. Either way- there is plenty to do in Dallas- I know friends there as well and there is a great deal of stuff there.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    if you are looking for this to do to get out of the house,

Check out meetup.com for activities
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    I'm not looking for anything to do. I'm not looking for advice on my personal life.

Who comes to a fitness and exercise topic and tells someone who is overweight that they work out too much and need to get a life/hobby?

Mean Trolls.

It's sad that I now have to walk away from a topic I started asking for FITNESS advice because my personal life is becoming the topic.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you stop working out every time you get sore you'll never get to the point where you aren't sore from workouts. It's kinda like with glasses. The first day you wear them you get a headache but if you keep it up, you will adjust and won't get headaches anymore. I have the same theory with exercise.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    If you stop working out every time you get sore you'll never get to the point where you aren't sore from workouts. It's kinda like with glasses. The first day you wear them you get a headache but if you keep it up, you will adjust and won't get headaches anymore. I have the same theory with exercise.

That's what I was figuring but wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting myself. Thanks for the advice :)