Normal weight for a size 18 Woman.

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    When it comes to jeans, size doesn't mean squat. Due to vanity sizing, stretch jeans, different brands/stores etc, we can no longer know what our true jeans size is.

exactly.

go by your measurements. sizes dont mean anything as they change from brand to brand. and even within the same brand or store the same size can be different.

for instance i have 3 pair of old navy skinny jeans (same cut) and they range in size from 12,14 and 16. all 3 fit me the same.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1. Don't be tricked by yourself or others into thinking you are packing on muscle and that is why you are not losing weight. Adding muscle weight is a hard, slow process that is even more difficult for women. Besides, when you reduce calories to a necessary deficit to lose weight, you will lose weight...fat and muscle.

2. Your primary weight contributor is obviously fat.

3. To lose the fat you will need to continue experimenting (reducing) calories (increasing calorie defecit) until you lose weight (fat). Unless you have a medical issue, in which case, seek medical attention - you are probably pretty normal wrt calorie needs and will react the way the rest of us do who actually stay in a true calorie deficit condition...you will lose fat and weight. So eat less.

4. Stay away from restaurants - they make women fat. Think about portions... Do restaurants serve women a smaller portion than men...NO. Is there any difference between a woman's meal and a man's meal at a restaurant - is there a women's menu? Heck no. You all get the same amount of food as we do, and they give us too much! The calories that restaurants are serving women is so much more than they need, i cant imagine having the self control that a women needs to eat a proper portion at a restaurant, regardless of the healthiness of the food - too much.

5. Incorporate fitness. Unfortunately it is easier to do this when you are not as fat as you are - do what you can, and keep increasing fitness levels as you get trimmer.

6. Eat less - you'll lose weight.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this but there is a huge (no pun intended) difference between a size 18 and a 18W. I can fit a 18W no problem at 244 but have to be about 180 to fit a regular 18.

Now this is TRUE! 16W, 16R and 16P and all different..but then it still depends on the designer..example I can get a 12m onsie for my 13month old son in Walmart and he can fit it (w/alittle wiggle room) but OshKosh B'Gosh 18m is tight on him. :huh:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your height, muscle, etc.

This. At my heaviest, around 270lbs, I was a size 18, now I'm between 155-160, wearing a size 8.

ETA: Even though I was losing weight, it took almost a year before I dropped a pant size, my clothes were fitting looser, but had a hard time finding sizes that would fit. Then suddenly I started dropping sizes rapidly, going from a size 16 to size 8 in 8 months. I should add that I start serious weight training during this time.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and when I was a size 18 I was about 250-260.
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1. Don't be tricked by yourself or others into thinking you are packing on muscle and that is why you are not losing weight. Adding muscle weight is a hard, slow process that is even more difficult for women. Besides, when you reduce calories to a necessary deficit to lose weight, you will lose weight...fat and muscle.

3. To lose the fat you will need to continue experimenting (reducing) calories (increasing calorie defecit) until you lose weight (fat). Unless you have a medical issue, in which case, seek medical attention - you are probably pretty normal wrt calorie needs and will react the way the rest of us do who actually stay in a true calorie deficit condition...you will lose fat and weight. So eat less.

4. Stay away from restaurants - they make women fat. Think about portions... Do restaurants serve women a smaller portion than men...NO. Is there any difference between a woman's meal and a man's meal at a restaurant - is there a women's menu? Heck no. You all get the same amount of food as we do, and they give us too much! The calories that restaurants are serving women is so much more than they need, i cant imagine having the self control that a women needs to eat a proper portion at a restaurant, regardless of the healthiness of the food - too much.

5. Incorporate fitness. Unfortunately it is easier to do this when you are not as fat as you are - do what you can, and keep increasing fitness levels as you get trimmer.

Say what? Who do you think you are?!!

Are you saying that I do not exercise?! That I do not incorporate fitness into my life?!

I am on this journey to become a healthier me. I do stay away from restaurants, you jerk. I eat more at home meals, where I plan out what I am eat EVERY MEAL. This has been a hard journey for me, and it will be for the rest of my life. If pointing out that I am "FAT" --- a shaming word, and you shaming me for what I am -- to get me to be "more" motivated than what I am, you are sadly mistaken. Assumptions only do one thing.

You keep saying eat less -- you know nothing. Thank you for wasting your time and posting.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You mentioned Old Navy
    I'm a size 4/6 in all brands EXCEPT OLD NAVY, I have to bump up to a size 10!!
    When I was 207lbs I was wearing size 15/16 but again not in Old Navy, that was like a size 20

That's funny about Old Navy, when I was bigger I did have to go up a size or two, now even though most every place else, I'm a medium, at Old Navy I wear a small. Though I haven't tried their pants yet.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options

In for the sheer amount of WTFackge in this post.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I actually wasn't offended by his post at all. Perhaps he could use a more PC word than 'fat', but aside from that, everything he said was fairly true. He even sympathized with how hard it is for us women to use self control when faced with large restaurant portions.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Say what? Who do you think you are?!!

Are you saying that I do not exercise?! That I do not incorporate fitness into my life?!

I am on this journey to become a healthier me. I do stay away from restaurants, you jerk. I eat more at home meals, where I plan out what I am eat EVERY MEAL. This has been a hard journey for me, and it will be for the rest of my life. If pointing out that I am "FAT" --- a shaming word, and you shaming me for what I am -- to get me to be "more" motivated than what I am, you are sadly mistaken. Assumptions only do one thing.

You keep saying eat less -- you know nothing. Thank you for wasting your time and posting.

i think what he was partially saying is that regardless of what some of these people will have you think it's is extremely hard to gain muscle .. for most people to gain muscle.

add to the fact you are a woman (women do not have the testosterone to gain muscle as fast as men and muscle gains are hard for men which is why many take steroids to gain muscle)

add the fact that you are eating at a deficit.. matter isnt just created from nothing, that's true for the universe as a whole but also for the human body (this is all info from science by the way, not the court of public opinion). true there are newbie gains but that only amount to about 1-6 pounds of muscle over the course of 6 months at the most and after that you are no longer newbie

add to that fact that you mainly have to be doing specific exercises like strength training where you are progressively overloading your muscles and forcing it to get stronger.

there are very specific things that need to happen in order to make muscle grow, it doesnt just happen on accident as some people in these type threads might have you believe.

so if you notice that you are eating at what you think is a deficit and you are neither changing measurements nor losing scale weight, then you are either eating more than you think you are OR eating more than your body's needs are. if everything is OK in terms of hormones, thyroid, organs, etc then the best bet is that you are eating more than you think you are.

also, i just wanted to point out that MFP databases aren't always accurate. i routinely find things that are 100-200 calories different than what's listed on a package. i also recently found something that was a full 600 calories MORE than was listed in the database. add to that overestimating calories burned during exercise (which routinely happens if people dont take their TDEE into account for those numbers) then that can easily add up to "plateau"
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

IN for laughing at hilarious, sexist boneheads!
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I wasnt losing weight and upped my calories some and now I'm back to losing. Have you also tried other scales just to double check lol cuz you look fantastic for that weight.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I actually wasn't offended by his post at all. Perhaps he could use a more PC word than 'fat', but aside from that, everything he said was fairly true. He even sympathized with how hard it is for us women to use self control when faced with large restaurant portions.

Please don't lump yourself in with the rest of us women when replying to a list of bs. Women have self-control just as men do. Having breasts and estrogen doesn't make it harder for us to put down a fork or ask for a half-portion of food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'd be pretty peeved if there was a women's menu or women's portion at a restaurant where I was eating.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    BTW, I actually remember a time when some restaurants DID have a ladies portion menu. Guess those days are gone.Do they still have the Luann platter at Luby's?

I wish restaurants would have a smaller portion available to people over 12. I can't order off the kids menu and I am not quite old enough for the senior menu that some restaurants have, so I end up having to take part of it home, order an appetizer as my meal, or split it with someone else.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I am an 18 or 20, depending on the style and brand and I am in the high 240s. For my body type I know that I am a true 18 when I'm around 230 and at 215-220 I'm a 16. That's just my body! I don't know about sizes below that...I haven't been below 215 since 2001. lol
  • mccindy72
    Options
    BTW, I actually remember a time when some restaurants DID have a ladies portion menu. Guess those days are gone.Do they still have the Luann platter at Luby's?

I wish restaurants would have a smaller portion available to people over 12. I can't order off the kids menu and I am not quite old enough for the senior menu that some restaurants have, so I end up having to take part of it home, order an appetizer as my meal, or split it with someone else.
    Many restaurants will allow you to order a 1/2 portion. My in-laws will order 1 meal and 2 plates and split it between them.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You think so? I consume 1300 calories. and exercise daily. I do weigh food. we just bought a digital scale for the kitchen.
    based on a "normal" day just living/breathing i should burn "Your estimated BMR is: 2,005 calories/day*"
    Im so confused.

I dont think I should be a size 18, based on my weight. (not that im complaining...i just think I should be a smaller weight for that size) And i checked out that website that you gave me -- it unfortunately has no pictures of women my size. Thank you for the suggestion.

Go to a nutritionist and get your BMR measured. My BMR is actually right around 1200 calories, so if I eat 1200 and don't exercise, I don't lose. The test I used was called the MedGem, but I'm sure there are other types out there.

Also, focus on weights - I had to learn this the hard way! The more muscle you build, the more calories you burn, and the more you need to eat - will get your BMR up.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For me, at 250 I was mostly a size 18. Occasionally some pants were size 20. (I am about 5'4 and hourglass-ish)
    At 230 dresses were a 16, pants were an 18
    At 210, dresses were a 14, pants 16.
    At 201, pants were 14, dresses 14.

Now I am like 220, dresses 14-16, pants mostly 16.

But a few years ago, at 225, everything was more like 18. And my proportions were different. I was more pear than I am now.

You can definitely not lose, but still lose inches. It does seem like something is off on your calories. I agree about the food scale. I am also hypothyroid, and I notice a few key patterns.

1. Eating over 2000-2100 calories = weight gain (although by most calculations my BMR should be like 2500 or more)
    2. Extra "daily activity" does absolutely nothing for me on the scale
    3. The only exercise that has results for me is weights /circuits/intervals or other higher intensity stuff
    4. If my hormones are out of whack I gain weight, even when eating around the magic 2000 calorie ceiling and exercising
    5. No exercise = I eat more calories
    6. 220 now is not the same as 10 years ago, I am visibly smaller, my face looks thinner, my neck is smaller etc. Even though I weighed the same....so my body composition changed