Sodium

Options
Hey all :happy:
I have a quick (and maybe dumb) question to ask. I was just looking at my report for today and notice that my sodium intake seems to be outrageously high! 1300ish mg. Should it be lower? What should my daily sodium intake be?
Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• baldric1331
    baldric1331 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    under my home settings you can go in to your food diary and add the sodium to your food which shows you i dont know if its different for all but mine is 2500 though im always lower than that
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I always heard 2300/day is recommended unless you have health issues (diabetes, heart etc), in which case your doctor should dictate the amount.
  • bocagirl
    Options
    You do need salt in your body to function however processed foods typically have higher sodium levels. Especially the Diet frozen dinners you can buy at the grocery store. The few articles I read stated that you should stay below the 2300 mark which is what food labels use.

I saw this on one article on WebMD:

"Keep in mind: the label calculates a daily value of 2,300 mg sodium. The DASH-Sodium study showed that cutting back further than that lowers hypertension risk. The less salt you consume, the more likely your blood pressure will remain out of the danger zone." http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/nutrition-labels-9/salt-sodium

Another interesting article: http://www.webmd.com/fda/lowering-salt-your-diet

I would search around a little and see what you can find. If you are trying to reduce salt use Mrs. Dash or Morton's Light Salt for seasoning.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hey all :happy:
    I have a quick (and maybe dumb) question to ask. I was just looking at my report for today and notice that my sodium intake seems to be outrageously high! 1300ish mg. Should it be lower? What should my daily sodium intake be?
    Thanks for the help!!

Um... Hey, wait. 1,300mg is GOOD. I'm happy if I'm below my goal of 1,800. (Yes, I do have a medical problem. :wink: ) Surely that was a typo, yes?

But, yeah, if you're a normal, healthy adult the government recommendation is 2,300mg max. :happy:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You do need salt in your body to function however processed foods typically have higher sodium levels. Especially the Diet frozen dinners you can buy at the grocery store. The few articles I read stated that you should stay below the 2300 mark which is what food labels use.

I saw this on one article on WebMD:

"Keep in mind: the label calculates a daily value of 2,300 mg sodium. The DASH-Sodium study showed that cutting back further than that lowers hypertension risk. The less salt you consume, the more likely your blood pressure will remain out of the danger zone." http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/nutrition-labels-9/salt-sodium

Another interesting article: http://www.webmd.com/fda/lowering-salt-your-diet

I would search around a little and see what you can find. If you are trying to reduce salt use Mrs. Dash or Morton's Light Salt for seasoning.

I also love McCormick Perfect Pinch Mediterranean Herb and Salad Supreme. They have 65mg and 60mg, respectively, for 1/4 teaspoon. They add just a touch of salty flavor along with their seasonings. :bigsmile:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Right, keep it under 2,300 mg. I think it varies with the elderly though.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, it seems high at first glance in comparison to the other numbers.

But when you consider that 1/2 tsp of table salt is 1120mg then it can soon add up. 2 bits of KFC and a couple of pretzels and you probably meet your daily :noway:

Not that we eat such things anymore!!! :laugh: :wink:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kitchen1234
    Options
    Good to know! I was just a little concerned that it SEEMED so high, when everything else was much, much lower! I did do some reading also, and have found that you are all RIGHT! :happy: 2300 is what I should be around. So, I guess me only being 1300 was a good thing :drinker: Since I was under!
    May I just add, I have only been on here a few days and am already feeling much better about trying to shed my baby weight - Everyone on here is so positive and motivating!!! Thank you to all of you! :bigsmile: