Not overweight, but want to lose some fat.

Options
I have been trying for years to lose some fat. I am 5'5 and weight 140 lbs. Last semester, I ate 1500 calories a day, about 130 g of protein and lifted heavy weights 3x a week (I used a program from bodybuilder.com). I lost about 6 pounds but I was not satisfied with my body. I did slim down a little, but nothing significant. I only lost a couple inches around my thighs and my stomach did get flatter but overall I did not shrink, just became a toned version of my body. I tried this plan for 16 weeks.

Now, I need advice as to how I can shrink my hips and thighs. I know to do this, you have to workout the entire body, not just concentrate on one part. Losing fat means losing it all over your body, but my problem areas are my large thighs and butt. I want to start running 5-6 times a week, maybe sometimes HIIT. I want to lose about 10-15 lbs. I also plan on eating about 1700 calories a day.

I've been researching that it's hard to lose a little bit of weight. I am not overweight, so I don't think the weight will fall off so easily.

Has anyone else been in my situation? Do you have any advice?

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you are naturally bigger in hips and thighs you could lift more heavy on your shoulders to balance out?
    I'm sorry, I write like English is my second language sometimes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think your plan sounds fine. Running, lifting, HIIT. But you are already at a healthy weight and if you've been lifting heavy, you probably have a healthy amount of muscle. You might not have 15 lbs of fat to lose. Also, if you are a woman that carries most of your fat in your thighs and hips, there is only so much you can do.

I would suggest not focusing on the scale so much. Don't waste your time trying to attain a look your body was never meant to have. Love your body for what it is, and make the most of it.
  • coolblogger
    Options
    try to do more running! low intensity cardiovascular exercise is the best thing for fat burning, and running works the thighs, calves and bum as well. like someone else said, if you're a woman you store your fat in your hips and thighs, so it's perfectly normal to have a little more fat there than elsewhere. don't feel bad about it!
  • GermanChocolate91
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I did not gain muscle because I ate at a calorie deficit. While I want to gain muscle eventually, I want to focus on losing fat first. I know the number on the scale doesn't matter but I feel I could lose some of the fat. I've always embraced my curves, but I don't think it means not trying to improve myself. I am planning on focusing on heavy cardio for a few weeks then return to weight training.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear, too. I think it is harder to lose weight the smaller you get. Things that have worked for me:

I do the 1200 calories, but I eat back exercise calories, so it turns out to be more eating than that.

I cut out soda, even if it fits my calories and macros. You didn't say how old you are and the "a calorie is a calorie" crowd will disagree, but as a 46 year old woman, I'll say that my body has changed. When I was younger, it didn't matter what the calories were. It matters now.

I avoid processed foods for the same reason as above.

I do cardio pretty much every day. You are right that you can't spot reduce. Thighs, booty, and belly are the last to go for me. You can shrink them all some, but you'll probably have a pear shape still. However, pears can look great and toned, too!
  • GermanChocolate91
    Options
    Thank you! Sorry, I did leave out some information. I'm a 22 year old female. Your advice definitely helps. Even though I'm young, I still like to stay away from processed foods and sodas because I want to take care of my body.

I love my shape, I do! I don't want to change that (not that I have a choice) but I want to be a smaller, toned version of myself. I will definitely start with cardio and go from there.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should do what you did last semester, just this time don't stop doing it. It takes more than 16 weeks.
  • thegeorges11202004
    thegeorges11202004 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and also I am very heavy in my legs/hips. I have more fat to lose than you and I am also older - so I feel like hormonal things come into play for me at least. you should check out a book called "Escape your shape" where the author is a trainer in NYC and he lays out four different body types and he gives workouts for each type to target the area(s) where you need extra help. They are interval workouts, and I have to say I have noticed a difference in my body (my legs especially) doing his "hourglass" workout.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Happy for this post, I am in the same boat. But i'm 5'4 and 133-134. I carry all my weight in my hips and thighs!! It's sooo annoying. Some people like this look, and its OK, I guess. But meh.

Plus, it took me about 3 months to lose 5lbs. It does go slow. And that was with me eating 1200 cals a day. I just recently upped it. I figure if it's going to go this slow anyway, I may has well eat more lol.

I feel your pain. I dislike this part of my body more than anything. but *shrug*
  • GermanChocolate91
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I knew there had to be more of us. I totally understand what you mean. I don't hate my body and I get compliments on it, but I feel very meh.I think what bothers me is that people have always described me as "curvy" and "healthy" and "not fat, but not skinny". And depending on what I wear I can look tiny or I can look larger.

I'm not an expert, but I feel as though 1200 may be a little low. I tried with 1500 calories and even that felt a little low for me. I actually lost weight quicker when I went up to 1700 calories so I think I'll stick with that for now and see how my body handles it. I will try low-intensity cardio for a while to see if that will help but I definitely will be lifting heavy again. It definitely makes a difference.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yea, it was very low. But I'm one of those type of people who has a hard time balancing stuff. I'll either eat 1200, or 5000. lol. I'm working on that though. But I so feel your pain! I don't mind being curvy, but maybe a little less curvy would be better for me. My waist is pretty small but my hips...WATCH OUT, COMING THROUGH!!:laugh:
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Pear shaped, not too much to lose, but want to lose inches and tone up. A combo that has worked for me in the past is moderate carbs, interval cardio, lifting heavy PLUS adding high rep leg lifts and bridge work (think barre or pilates). I will always be a pear, but I at least want my butt to be round and perky.

I am reading a new book now called Strong Curves. It has great reviews on amazon and focuses on the working the butt. Interestingly, he suggests heavy lifting PLUS leg lifts/bridge work, the same thing that worked for me in the past. I'm going to do the program in that book after I finish NROL4W.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5" and currently 130 lbs, though a bit older than you at 37. I came to mfp in May of last year around 138 lbs. What's worked best for me was to cut bread/grains from my diet. My TDEE is around 2100-2200 calories/day. To drop to this weight I did eat at about 1700-1800 calories during the week and then more like 2500 calories per day on the weekends--which is also how I maintain.

I understand how you feel about not feeling small enough even though you are a healthy weight. I've accepted that my frame supports a certain weight and the best thing for me to do is to increase muscle mass and lose body fat and just work on making my body the best it can be without focusing on size. While I'd love to be super petite, I don't think it's for me.

I do wish I'd come to my current level of acceptance and understanding when I was your age. :flowerforyou:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My waist is pretty small but my hips...WATCH OUT, COMING THROUGH!!:laugh:

Ha! See I wish my waist was smaller. I have some curve, but I'm generally pretty straight up and down, and even though my stomach is pretty flat, I feel thick-waisted. But as I said in my post above, I'm trying to come to terms with it. So, I'll never have a tiny waist, at least I can try to sport a 4-pack...
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I would start again and keep on it is the strength and weight training. The muscle growth will help with your body definition and composition.

As well as adding the cardio
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should do what you did last semester, just this time don't stop doing it. It takes more than 16 weeks.

this….

It take a long time to lose body fat especially once it gets low…I have been hovering around 11 to 12% for a while now…that stuff is freaking stubborn….
  • llerelgin
    llerelgin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, I have he same problem and cardio works wonders! I play Zumba on the Wii with a friend three times a week, Steps with weights and another awesome exercise for butt and legs is rollerblading. Swimming will tone EVERYTHING at once. There are many things to choose from. Lots of cardio! ;)