SABOTAGE!

Options

Replies

• subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends...probably saved my life.

8?! Months ago I came to them admitting that I had a problem with alcohol, and unlike my "real-life" friends, they have stayed with me from the beginning, through the slip ups, through all the whiny bullsh*t I post, and I love them all for it.

I'm still fat, but I'm here. And I thank them for that..
    Damn, that's awesome! Struggled with that in the past and didn't have a good support system. I am very glad that you are here, that is much more important than being fit :) good luck in your new/continuing journey!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic would come up, I had a situation that happened to me not too long ago, I was going to a local sandwich shop for lunch with my wife and I come across a mother and little boy who had to be at least 5-6. The boy was very over weight for whatever his age was but here's the crazy thing.. He was pleading with his mom to get something from the sandwich shop, His mom on the other hand argued back and said that she wasn't going to spend money eating there when McDonald's has more food next door.. Pardon my language but WHAT THE ****! Are you serious.. My wife quickly looks at me as to say mind your business.
    Now I wanted to put this lady in her place but was in no position to tell someone how they're raising their kid. Then it dawned on me, Since I was purchasing lunch using a buy 1 get 1 free coupon I politely asked the woman if she'd help me out. I said I had a coupon but it would be for 2 sandwiches and i'm only going to eat one and my wife now wants a salad.. I asked if she'd be ok with coming inside and letting her son order the other sandwich.. At first she kinda gave me a rude look, but I think she felt as if she would be even more in the wrong not letting her son get what he wanted to eat for free. So her mood completely changes (But I am totally aware that it was fake)
    The great thing is the boy orders a turkey sandwich and says he wants diet bread ( he meant he wanted flat bread) he called it diet because he said regular bread is no good for you. LOL then he says NO MAYO that gets you FAT! He then says Put lettuce and tomato because thats what gets you strong LOL
    This little boy was awesome and funny as he explained everything he wanted on his sandwich.. His mother thanks me again on the way out in a manner that still to me was fake and the boy says on his way out I'm gonna have muscles like you on my birthday..
    Kid was so awesome I wish I knew his name. Sad, I hope his mom and family support this little boy. I mean how many little kids you know would give up McDonalds.. I have a hard time driving by one now without wanting to turn in LOL
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Kid was so awesome I wish I knew his name. Sad, I hope his mom and family support this little boy. I mean how many little kids you know would give up McDonalds.. I have a hard time driving by one now without wanting to turn in LOL

What an incredible story man. Thanks for sharing that.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    IRL, my best friend is my hugest supporter. She's so awesome...she's seen me through thick and thin(ner). She loves me either way.

On here, I've met a couple awesome people who are just so AWESOME! If I'm having a down day, I know I can message them and vent. I feel so relieved knowing that there are people who understand.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My husband has been great because when I told him that I wanted to try MFP, exercising, and heavy lifting he encouraged me and joined me in this adventure. I also have to give credit to J (@Loftearmen.) He is not logging anymore, but he was the first one I friended here that was so dedicated to his sport, powerlifting. He is a beast when it comes to weights and, even though I didn’t know where or how to start, he encouraged me, taught me what to do, and pointed me in the right direction. It was never a bother for him to answer my questions, treated me with respect, never accepted an excuse from me for not doing my best, and got exited with my progress. I do miss him, but at the same time, I am glad I had the opportunity to learn from him and that I had someone showed me the way when I was taking my first steps. Now I have others that with their knowledge, dedication, and amazing results inspire me daily to continue learning and growing; and that is priceless in my books.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

What an incredible story man. Thanks for sharing that.
    +1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That was an incredible story! Thank you for sharing!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread!
    First off, nobody but me could motivate or sabotage myself and i have learnt it all too well this time around(i have matured i guess LOL) After the birth of my daughter and gaining weight while breastfeeding and looking at my photos- inspired me to lose the weight once and for all!
    My hubby. He encourages me to do what i love. He does not see me as fat or thin, just ME! He shifts around his schedule and also helps out a lot with baby and food and fitness which keeps me going. As a new mom last year, i was ridden with guilt to workout away from her, but he kept pushing me to get it done and also helping me get over that guilt!
    My in laws and parents, baby sat while i worked out and that has been such a great help!
    And last but not the least, MFP and my MFP friends have been awesome! They inspire me and motivate me every single day. I have the most amazing, awesome and hardworking FL and i love them !
  • WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    My husband is the only person IRL that has even attempted to help me with my weight loss. If it wasn't for the "Oh come on, one little bite wont hurt you!" or "One dinner isn't going to make you gain all that weight back!" comments I would only be getting "Oh my God, Whitney you are getting way to small!!" <--- That being said at 136 pounds, i'm 5'3 and EVERYONE in my family said it. After hearing it so much I listened to them instead of myself and before I knew it I had gained 10 pounds back (after a year and 47 pound weight loss) so now here I am .... AGAIN. 20 pounds to go.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

YOU, my friend, are a HERO!

Shame on Mom................!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend who puts up with my craziness and loves every minute of it, the roller coaster of emotions while trying to bulk and frustrations at my body can be insane and yet he's always there to point out how irrational I'm being. He has pushed me and supported me to be a better person, I want to be able to keep up with him while we do races and rock climbing.

My trainer, just a bit over a year ago I was stuck and couldn't seem to get the scale moving any more and that's when I signed up. He is beyond amazing, patience with my shoulder injuries and thirst for knowledge was so beneficial to me. Even with me done working with him as a trainer currently he still will send me text or email checking in on my progress, asking if I needed any questions answered. He has definitely helped me find my love of lifting.

My MFP pals, all of them have so many great goals that they are pushing towards and have passed that some days I am just in awe of them. They are great caring individuals who lend the support when I desperately need it, none of my IRL friends seem to get the "I'm still fat" thing that is ingrained in my head.
    There is one MPF friend in particular who just amazes me, all the weight that he has lost and all that he has accomplished as well as his fantastic personality, who that is though is my little secret ;)
  • HollyJean2013
    HollyJean2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I was young my mom always used to say well girls after you have kids it just ruins your body but its worth it. She had us 3 girls. I heard that all the time and she's a bigger woman. She wasn't really around much she was too busy out with other men while my dad was home with us. I do love her bc she's my mom but those words have stung my whole life that once you have kids you will be huge. My dad always taught me you have to work for what you want. I always applied that to my career, being a mom and the woman of the house. I never thought to apply it to my health and fitness. Every time I had a child I made sure to work off the fat I gained. Never thought about going further than that. Once I joined MFP I started surrounding myself with health and fitness inspirations on fb, instagram and twitter. This has helped a lot!! My MFP friends are so supportive, my sisters, my dad, my cousins, sometimes my friends will be supportive. Then other times friends will try getting me to cheat or say things that make me second guess but then my mind snaps out of that moment and I say this is my lifestyle nothings going to change and I don't need that garbage. This road hasn't been easy but its worth it. My mom couldn't cook so I used to live off pasta when I was a teenager. I didn'ttake nutrition classes in high school bc I always wanted to be with the guys=). Science was not an interest either. Now I find myself digging into research and teaching myself all of this now. I look back and think I really wish I was this focused back then. Science and nutrition is amazing and there is so much information!
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My husband, my mother, my brother, my grandmother, and some of my online friends that I've known for 13 years. All of them support and push me to do my best and comfort me when I need it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My anti-sabotage team:

Hubby - who has been totally willing to try all the new foods or tweaked recipes, without a word of complaint, and encourages the kids to do the same. He helps me find time for workouts and watches the kids. When I told him I needed a kitchen scale, no problem - he bought it for me. When I said I needed a new bathroom scale, same thing. I warned him that our grocery budget would likely increase (although, it's been a net gain, as we don't eat out as often as we used to), he said "no problem". When I said I wanted race entry fees instead of things like flowers for Valentines Day, he was totally on board. He's been super encouraging.

My kids - who have been trying the foods, traveled with me to races, and have even done their own!

My mom - who asks me how I'm doing with all this, whenever I call, and makes all the awesome happy exclamations when she sees me every 6 months.

A few IRL friends who have tolerated me talking about this stuff, ahha! They have been ace, no lie.

I've been very lucky.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband. When I start to crumble back into the weeny anorexic who is afraid to eat and gets frustrated that I'm unable to lift something I thought I could, he's able to help me see things

Granted, it's been a process. Dealing with a recovered anorexic who gains 30 lbs in a month is not something anyone should have to deal with. I was borderline-manic with how upset I was, about health and a body I couldn't control, when all I had been doing for years was control.

He put up with a lot, and he's finally seen that I'm not quite so crazy anymore.

But when I do get crazy, he helps to make sure I come back to reality and see, "Hey, you can deadlift your own weight! It's okay that you couldn't lift the table by yourself!"

My MFP friends have also helped tremendously. Setting me up when I feel like I might fall back into vicious cycles, particularly when I get wrapped up in self-hate.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You rang? :laugh:

In regards to who helped me, I've had a few friends who have been to the gym or swimming or running with me. Really, any of my friends who have put up with me rambling on about TDEE and TEF and hypertrophy etc. etc.

Food wise, I've pretty much done it on my own. I get tetchy when people suggest I should eat this food or that food. :angry:

MFP friends have been a real help. I may have quit many times without the knowledge that they were waiting with baited breath for me to log on and acknowledge their existence. That's how it works, right?
  • smithcarola
    smithcarola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would have to say IRL it would be my mom. She joined MFP with me and then actually started using it. :smile: She has been a huge help this time around! It just so happens that I work in the same building as her so I get to have lunch with her just about every day. If neither of us brings anything in for lunch, she will pull up the nutrition information for where ever it is we are planning on eating. If she brings in leftovers, she weighs it all and figures out the calories as she packaging it up and even tapes a note to the container so I know how many calories it is. She usually takes the serving with the higher amount calories, unless she's going out for dinner, then it's on me to take higher calories. :laugh: Oh...and she doesn't look at me funny anymore for eating my salads without dressing!

Of course my FL is always a great help and keeps me motivated. Several don't even realize what a tremendous help they've been!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My husband-- when we met I was sick and weak, and about to have to leave my job because of chronic illness. He cheered me on when I started to lose weight, and when I started to walk, then lift weights, and then run. He even weighs the ingredients when he cooks now, because he doesn't want to mess up my count for the day.

My MFP friends-- From DavPul who told me to just go workout already, :laugh: to all the veterans who answered my newbie questions, to the ladies whose success stories first made me want to lift, to the many people on my friend list who just show up and are awesome every day.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Seriously, dude...teared up when I read it! First, because parents who allow their small children to get fat make me very angry and sad. Second, I teared up because you're awesome!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread. :smile:

MFP and the friends I have made here. Also the success stories and incredible transformations I've seen have kept me trying again and again to reach my goals. Even though I continue to have horrible days (food-wise; exercise has become second nature), I keep working on making those days obsolete. Without the MFP support system, I would be back to where I started by now.