Water Retention?? Mind Games

Options
Am I the only one, that cant get a consistent read? I cant stop eating salt, cheese?? I am this close to giving up on the calorie counting thing! It depressing to keep fluctuating.. help!

Replies

• katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I"m really new to calorie counting and the like, but I found that eating too much sodium, especially if you've got a water retention issue can cause a lot of ups and downs on the scale. Regardless, I drink A LOT of water. Eventually your body will get used to the intake and quit storing it. Do your best to remind yourself that eating those specific foods are going to hurt your chances at reaching your goals. Remind yourself how you feel.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Ok, so - I should watch the sodium , and drink more water.............. and remember how awful i feel. thanks!!!
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am the same--it does not really matter what I eat, my water weight fluctuates pretty wildly and thus makes short-term measurements hard. Advice: weigh once a week and look for a downward trend. Give it four weeks MINIMUM.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This is why you just record your numbers and not worry about it until you get a bigger picture.. your body fluctuates.. its a fact even if you stop having salt.. you need to look at a weekly or monthly picture.. and not daily.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's 100% natural for the weight on the scale to fluctuate. This is why most people recommend weighing once a week instead of day-to-day. Everything can affect your scale weight. How much food you ate. When you last pooped. Sodium, salt, stress, hormones, exercise, dehydration, etc. Either step away from the scale for a little while or learn to love the fluctuations because they aren't going away any time soon.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Weigh one a day and take your weekly average, then look at the general trend from week to week.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    good advice, I wont give up!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Either weigh yourself less, or weigh yourself more and pay close attention to the fluctuations and don't freak out over them. Over time, your weight should go down regardless of sodium intake if you're eating at a calorie deficit. I.E... I'd fluctuate between 125-129 for awhile, and when I truly lost weight, I'd start fluctuating between 124-128, 123-127, and so on.