Crazy advice for getting pregnant

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
So going into 2014 my husband and I decided it's time for kiddo #2. When we were "trying" for #1 we decided not to put the stress on ourselves of trying and just have fun, have sex, and maybe things would work out. However, trying to get pregnant always makes me thing of the craziest advice I've every heard regarding either trying to get pregnant or trying to have a specific gender.

When my cousin and his wife were trying she gave all the women in my family the sage advice of never ever putting baking soda up there. Apparently they wanted to have a boy and she had received the advice of flushing with a solution prior to sex that included several teaspoons of baking soda and having sex while she was upside down, they were drunk and she accidentally used several tablespoons which resulted in no sex upside down or otherwise. (PS, they had 2 more girls before their boy.)

So I'm curious about the craziest advice you've heard . . .

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i think giving non-medical advice on how to get pregnant is, in and of itself, crazy....

but not as crazy as following the advice.

ETA: no one really gave us advice on how to get pregnant. But it was probably because no one knew we were trying....

including us
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    My advice: put his genitals inside your genitals as often as possible.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not really getting pregnant advice but my husband's step-mother-in-law wanted him to go "get tested" to see if he could have boys after the birth of our second daughter. My husband having a son was the last chance for the family name to be carried on :grumble:.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I'm not personally looking for advice, I've managed to figure out how to get it done once, I'm planning on doing the same thing again . . . but thanks for playing
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well.. if you're going to add baking soda add vinegar as well. Like the volcanoes we learned to make in grade school. The bubbles would probably feel tingly and fun. Lemme know that goes....
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Ensuring the female reaches orgasm is probably the best thing you can do medically when trying to get pregrant (other than ensuring intercourse happens around ovulation).
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hahaha thats the most ridiculous advice I've ever heard. Ive never gotten advice, but I have talked with many friends my age who also have trouble conceiving. Seems like 15 year old uterus work fine.....or if the uterus belongs to someone who already 5 or someone on welfare.....but after talking to many, many women my age, I am convinced there is something hormonal and environmental going on with people our age....from pollution and processed foods.

We have been sans birth control and any practices against preventing for a year now, and many of those who I talked to had to resort to medical intervention to get pregnant.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    baking soda in your......?????????? :O omgawd you would have to be nuts id imagine that would be painful :S

yeah id deffo go with medical advice as for old wives tales.. lie on your back with you legs in the air for 15 mins after ejaculation (we know you do that anyway guys but i mean the women :P)

eat more bananas and a high protein diet if you want a boy (or maybe my hubby was just being sneaky there :P)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This isn't about getting pregnant, but when my friend was pregnant with her son, the doctor suggested that she slowly wean herself off of cigarettes instead of quitting cold turkey. Dafuq? She found a new doctor.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of having a child is crazy to begin with. Any advice related to it will be ludicrous.
  • _John_
    Options
    my favorite wives tale is that there are more boys because the XY swims faster...
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My advice: put his genitals inside your genitals as often as possible.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Best hing I have read yet today, thanks!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I had 4 oops babies... so I guess the advice would be to not try and hope you aren't pregnant LOL :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    This isn't about getting pregnant, but when my friend was pregnant with her son, the doctor suggested that she slowly wean herself off of cigarettes instead of quitting cold turkey. Dafuq? She found a new doctor.

I had a friend who received the same advice "because cold turkey would cause undo stress on the baby." WTF?!? So what does smoking cause?
  • _John_
    Options
    I think the idea of having a child is crazy to begin with. Any advice related to it will be ludicrous.

I'm glad my mom and dad decided not to have sex too...
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the crazy advice, but that is probably up there with the craziest!!

It can get pretty insane with all the conflicting crazy advice. Drink green tea, it helps with CM; don't drink tea it blocks folic acid absorption. DTD every day before O; no, only every 2nd day. Temp and log and chart; no, just relax and it'll happen.

I love all the gender determination advice, too. 5 days before for a girl, day before for a boy; eat breakfast and you'll get a girl, don't and you'll get a boy (of course, I've also been told the opposite too! :tongue: )

GOOD LUCK! Sounds like you've got the right attitude!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My grandma said if you eat nothing but watermelon while trying to conceive you'll have a girl. I don't think my tummy would appreciate the sex after that though. Haha
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My family always gave me advice on how not to get pregnant....

About the cigs, as monkey3253 posted, around in our area that actually isn't uncommon advice. The doctors say that the stress of quitting cold turkey could result in miscarriage. However, I quit the day I found out. I also worried the whole time I was pregnant she was going to fetal alcohol syndrome because I drank a glass of wine at our wedding reception the day before we found out. I was very paranoid during pregnancy though... very.

Of course she came out healthy and beautiful.
  • _John_
    Options
    My grandma said if you eat nothing but watermelon while trying to conceive you'll have a girl. I don't think my tummy would appreciate the sex after that though. Haha

I've only heard one tale of watermelon and this subject, and it had nothing to do with the sex the baby...
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well.. if you're going to add baking soda add vinegar as well. Like the volcanoes we learned to make in grade school. The bubbles would probably feel tingly and fun. Lemme know that goes....

LOL!