Morning exercisers more fit than evening?

Options
124»

Replies

• MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like mid afternoon at my gym because they let us watch cooking shows then, and that's just delightful.
    That's all I got.
  • EuSaNaD
    EuSaNaD Posts: 33
    Options
    It's ridiculous that a lot of people on here are trying to say that people who don't work out in the morning aren't as dedicated as those who do?!?! Really?!?!... Way to stereotype. I thought that we were supposed to be supportive of each other, not try to bring others down. :huh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    "The thinking is that they get their exercise in before other time pressures interfere," Bryant says. "I usually exercise at 6 a.m., because no matter how well-intentioned I am, if I don't exercise in the morning, other things will squeeze it out."

If you were truly dedicated, you wouldn't let other "time pressures" interfere with your workouts later in the day, now would you?

shannon5.gif

:bigsmile:
  • jessicalynne25
    Options
    I'm a strong morning exerciser. I feel that if I do most of my exercises in the morning and just random picks through out the day then I will burn more calories and my muscles will be working more through out the day just by doing every day things.
  • jessicalynne25
    Options
    I agree, we shouldn't say stuff like that. When I exercised in high school, I always did it in the afternoon and it doesn't make a difference if you exercise in the morning or afternoon. You're still working your muscles and watching what you eat.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I workout whenever it fits in my schedule.

So I'm not sure what that means.....
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I exercise at night because that's the best chance I have of the kids staying asleep so I can complete the whole workout. Early mornings in my house are a crapshoot. I guess I should just leave them to scream in their beds for an hour while I exercise and shower. The neighbors will probably call child services, but I'll just tell the social worker that she would understand if she was super-dedicated and made her health a priority.

Stupid kids needing dinner and baths and homework supervision.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:30am and the group of people who are there at that time are all super focused and committed. They want to be there at that hour and just get the job done. It's amazing how much energy there is at that early time. I prefer it to after work gym sessions.

i don't know about the more fit part. I doubt fitness is contingent upon the time of the day workout.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Stupid thread is stupid
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    In a much less snarky response than my first...I HATE morning workouts sooooo much that the few times I tried to make morning workouts a habit, my workout resolve was much worse than when I did it later in the day. I was far more likely to hit snooze and miss my morning window than I am to go to the gym at 2pm, 4pm or even10pm....it is all a matter of the individual.
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I hurt myself if I try to work out before 7 because I lack coordination and common sense when I am half asleep. Mornings suck.
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    Not everyone gets up at 5am. My days don't start till 11 or 12, and I don't go to bed till 2-3am. Our dinner is generally at 1130 (I'm doomed to stay fat since I eat so late at night too)So of course I tend to work out at 5 or 6. When my lifestyle timetable was different I was a mid morning exerciser (1030ish).

Guess I must rearrange my life and never spend any time with my partner to prove how dedicated I am. Not to mention I'd be the biggest ***** if I had to be around people that early. I'm not pleasant or fit to be exposed to humanity till I've been up for a few hours.
  • angiebmore
    angiebmore Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love to work out in the morning! Just seems its a good way to start my day. But this week I worked out a few times during the evening and I really had to push myself to finish? I have always been a morning person so that probably has a lot to do with it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, quick note:

Zumba is retarded, unless Alexis Wright is the instructor.

PPS- if you aren't doing doubles, you aren't dedicated.

Kisses!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe more dedicated people exercise in the am!

I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.

But accurate if they work out in the am and the pm. ;)

Well yeah but that's not what was said.

So what, it's what I ****ing said.

PS - Gardnerville. ROFL.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I don't work out in the morning. I can barely brush my goddamn teeth when I wake up, let alone tie my running shoes and go jogging.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Quite possible! I guess it's a lot more convenient for most people to exercise in the evening - you have to have a fair bit of conviction to lug yourself out of bed super extra early to not only fit in the exercise but also come back and shower etc. Also you have to be quite regulated about time keeping otherwise you end up late for work, whereas I personally prefer to just relax and have running as a timeless period of the day. So I suppose motivated, regulated people are probably more likely to extend that to their attitude to everything else as well - exercise, food - so them being fitter would make sense!

I'm definitely an evening person. I'm most energetic in the evening after a day of sitting around, I like my sleep, and I find it takes me a lot longer to warm up in the mornings.

PLUS there's also the breakfast conundrum.
    Namely: how on earth can you run on an empty stomach but also how to run on a full stomach?? I've tried both and they were respectively rubbish for different reasons, then I gave up on morning runs. In the evening you've eaten recently enough but had time to let it go down.

Also you can watch the sun setting for most of the year, which is the best time of day to be outside, in my humble opinion :) So beautiful and there's that moment when suddenly the temperature drops and everything smells glorious and powerful. Closest I come to a zen moment haha.

Ha - I'm just the opposite. Run first thing in the morning, it's so quiet and peaceful, the air isn't all funked up from the days exhaust, half way through you see the sun come up - just beautiful... and after that you can be a slug all day if you choose.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day most days. I usually do a class at lunch time in my gym at work, and then I'm a member of a gym closer to home that I go to in the evenings for weights and Spin Classes.

Neither of my workouts are in the morning, because I have to walk the dog before work so it would be impossible for me to get to the gym before work. (I don't consider an hours walk at snails pace with my dog a workout btw). I choose to be dedicated to my dog at that time of the day (6am-7am). My gym only opens at 6.30am.

In my gym I see the same people every time I go. I've been a member since last October and now I'm one of the regulars. That being said obviously in January its much busier and there are a lot of new faces. From October - December I was the fatty at the gym, even between the hours of 5pm-9pm. Now I'm one of the 'leaner' people.

Point being that during the 'normal' times of the year, the make up of the evening crowd is consistent and so just as 'dedicated' as I imagine the morning crowd is.

BTW I also work from home once a week and go to the gym during the day and the crowd there are super slim and lean and look very fit - but they spend ALL day at the gym. They even have their lunch there. If I could spend all day there I'd probably look that good too!