all about calories?

Options
MelxH
MelxH Posts: 93 Member
Hi, I've read alot of things about nutrition, and I feel like I know less now than before.
My question is... weight is all about calories? Lets say that today I ate a slice of bread, I still have calorie defisit but that slice made me exceed my carbs...
am I going to lose weight today? or is like a cheat day?

sorry for the horrible english :embarassed:

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calorie deficit.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about calories which is why the craziest diets work (at least for short run). They severely restrict calories. Healthy weight loss requires a bit more work like balancing carbs/protein/fat to give your body the fuel and nutrients it needs while losing fat and retaining muscle.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your net caloric intake is the most important factor for weight loss. That said, macros are still important and shouldn't be ignored. As for exceeding "your" carbs, unless you set your carb macro at its current position for a very specific reason, don't worry about exceeding it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only macro I care about is protein. I try to get close to my goal (pretty much 120g of protein), sometimes I'm not, but it hasn't prevented me from losing weight.
  • MelxH
    MelxH Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thank you! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calorie deficit.

This!^

You lose weight by eating less than before.

Nutrition is about how you feel while eating less, maintaining muscle while eating less, and general overall health.

How you feel ......is about making the fewer calories you get........count. Protein, fat, & fiber help keep you full longer.

Maintaining muscle ....is about getting enough protein (and calories) and doing some strength training. Obese people has less to worry about here.

General overall health......because you have fewer calories to work with, it's harder to get all the nutrients your body needs. This is where the macors come in (protein, carbs, fat).

There are lots of different methods to get there.....MFP gives you a "general guide" .........you can tweak your macros to suit......lower carb, higher protein, higher fat