Where should my exercise hurt?

Options
I've got about 50lbs to lose, and overtaken up running for the first time since school. Just little twenty or thirty minute runs, but I thought my legs and stomach would be killing me because everyone has always told me the best way to get rid of belly fat is good cardio and getting your heart rate up and keeping it there, which I do.
It's been about twenty minutes since my run and my legs and abs don't hurt at all but my back muscles and hips (not the joint but the muscles that run over them) ache. Am I doing something wrong in my runs? Am I the only adult in the world who doesn't know how to run right?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've got about 50lbs to lose, and overtaken up running for the first time since school. Just little twenty or thirty minute runs, but I thought my legs and stomach would be killing me because everyone has always told me the best way to get rid of belly fat is good cardio and getting your heart rate up and keeping it there, which I do.
    It's been about twenty minutes since my run and my legs and abs don't hurt at all but my back muscles and hips (not the joint but the muscles that run over them) ache. Am I doing something wrong in my runs? Am I the only adult in the world who doesn't know how to run right?

The muscles you use the least, that take the most damage, will hurt the most. Typically pain from muscle work during exercise is delayed, and you feel it most the next day, not immediately after. Your back takes a pounding when running and the muscles will tighten up to try to compensate, so you may be feeling the pain from that, being that you are feeling it so quickly.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options

The muscles you use the least, that take the most damage, will hurt the most. Typically pain from muscle work during exercise is delayed, and you feel it most the next day, not immediately after. Your back takes a pounding when running and the muscles will tighten up to try to compensate, so you may be feeling the pain from that, being that you are feeling it so quickly.

Thanks, I've known so many people who have hurt themselves trying to lose weight by doing something wrong, I was worried I was somehow running wrong.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Thanks, I've known so many people who have hurt themselves trying to lose weight by doing something wrong, I was worried I was somehow running wrong.

Have you run your exercise plan by your doctor? That's always a good idea when starting up a new plan.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options

Have you run your exercise plan by your doctor? That's always a good idea when starting up a new plan.
    I don't have a doctor... I know I should, but I only get sick every few years and quite frankly doctors scare the pants offa me. It may be an irrational fear but I just can't shake it.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I don't have a doctor... I know I should, but I only get sick every few years and quite frankly doctors scare the pants offa me. It may be an irrational fear but I just can't shake it.

Doctors aren't primarily for treating you when you are sick, they are for keeping you well. Seeing one for a physical and to get advice on exercise and diet is part of that preventative care. If you don't choose to see one, and do the wrong thing, you'll likely end up seeing one anyway, and not in the situation you'd want to.