Commenting on a persons weight loss.

Options

Replies

• obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've learned through threads like this on MFP not to compliment people on their weight loss unless they mention it first. There's many reasons why a person might lose weight, and not all of them are good.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    more importantly, caring that much for someone's opinion, are you still in highschool?

I lost a bunch of weight and i'd prefer people not to bring it up, i don't ever bring it up, i did it for myself, not for acknowledgement of random people.

you sound super bitter.

This.

I prefer people not to compliment. If they do I say thank you and try to move on. I am tired of the follow ups "You don't need to lose anymore" "You're eating THAT? I thought you were on a diet" I try not to discuss any more than necessary.

If I don't say something about another's weight loss I probably was unsure of if it would be appropriate. Do I know them well enough? Could they be sick? Would it bother them? Or I was pre-occupied, maybe I had a fight with my SO. Or my dog wasn't doing well. Pretty much a number of things. If they were to say oh I've been working out and trying to lose weight (or similar) I would say something.

ETA: Although it seems you knew these people weren't going to say anything and then got mad when they did just that. Some people aren't worth your time or energy. Move on or learn to accept them as is. They aren't changing.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    this is so embarrassing to read. I didn't know people like this existed.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the world is against me. My whole life, I was blissfully unaware of the eyes watching me, waiting to attack in one fell swoop. I....need a tin foil hat for this. Extreme measures.
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WELL.... No one actually knows why humans act the way they do. WE humans are so into ourselves that we often think ONLY of ourselves. ME! ME! AND MORE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Its called HUMAN NATURE.

People are rude, mean, nasty, arrogant...... and of the FEW kind hearted people that are still open enough to express their opinion - I would bet most DON'T QUITE KNOW WHAT TO SAY, OR HOW TO PHRASE IT.

AFTERALL.... ITS YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT..... YOU DID IT FOR "YOU".... YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

ITS NOT FOR THEM..... and you know People...... they often have not evolved enough to know that we're all connected, and it would be very neighborly to at least acknowledge your hard work. Its a Christian Extreme to care for others..... and in this Country (lets face it) very few people can tear themselves away from their little Idol tech-toys long enough to say HELLO unless its a text, or tweet, or FB like. Its very sad...... people actually run from TRUE CONVERSATION.

To put it bluntly - TODAYS TOM, **** AND HARRY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM RICH & FAMOUS, OR GET THEM THEIR PERSONAL 15 MINUTES OF FAME. :sad: :grumble:

PLUS, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DEALING WITH IN THEIR LIVES THAT MAKES THEM SO DISTANT, AND/OR UNINTERESTED IN YOU & YOUR LIFE. THEY COULD BE MURDERERS.... OR THEY COULD BE PLANNING TO DO GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT IN THEIR SPARE TIME. :explode: :devil: IF WE WATCH THE NEWS WE SEE HOW SICK AND DEMENTED PEOPLE ARE..... ITS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY! :huh:

I WOULD JUST CELEBRATE THE FACT THEY DIDN'T LOL AT YA...... PEOPLE ARE RUTHLESS. :grumble:

WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS...... PEOPLE COULD BE ON DEATHS DOOR AND NOT WANT TO EVEN BREATHE..... LET ALONG GIVE ANYONE A COMPLIMENT.

:ohwell: Its best not to expect anything from people......

YOUR BEST RELATIONSHIP IS TO BUILD ONE WITH GOD AND YOUR FAMILY..... YOU ARE BLESSED IF YOU CAN FIND 2 PEOPLE WHO WILL TREAT YOU AS IF YOU MATTER IN THIS WORLD TODAY.

CELEBRATE YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR GOOD RELATIONSHIPS. STAY CENTERED IN YOUR BELIEFS (GOD) AND DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU..... BUT BE FORE-WARNED.... PEOPLE ARE UNPREDICTABLE, STRANGE, AND OFTEN ON THE EDGE... SO THEY OFTEN DISAPPOINT PEOPLE..... AND DON'T CARE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CONSCIENCE.

WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE...... ASK GOD FOR HELP IN BEING THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE, AND TO SOFTEN THE HEARTS OF OTHERS.

ITS A SIGN OF THE TIMES, BUT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE TO SIMPLY ACCEPT POOR BEHAVIORS.

JUST DON'T BE ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE ARE HUMAN..... ITS A LEARNED SKILL.... SOMEBODY TAUGHT THEM, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I MUST TEACH THEM A BETTER WAY. :flowerforyou:

As long as you & I still believe in being kind, generous, and have the capacity to love and reach out to others.... THEN ALL IS NOT LOST.

:blushing: :laugh: :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :ohwell:

HANG IN THERE! THIS TOO SHALL PASS..... IT CAME TO PASS. I APPLAUD YOU, AND ON THIS JOURNEY WE LEARN TO EXHALE, AND FORGIVE QUICKLY..... DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN WHEN PEOPLE ACT NASTY. RISE ABOVE IT! AND YES...... ALWAYS BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.

Yes but lets put this in perspective..........

If someone is not willing to give a compliment, why do they make themselves miserable that no one ever gives them one? They then get mad at the world and sit there all bitter if someone actually receives praise from others. Then when that person walks in the room they just sit there not saying a word. Pretty pathetic.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

They do...in high schools all over the country. :laugh:
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the world is against me. My whole life, I was blissfully unaware of the eyes watching me, waiting to attack in one fell swoop. I....need a tin foil hat for this. Extreme measures.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    WELL.... No one actually knows why humans act the way they do. WE humans are so into ourselves that we often think ONLY of ourselves. ME! ME! AND MORE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Its called HUMAN NATURE.

People are rude, mean, nasty, arrogant...... and of the FEW kind hearted people that are still open enough to express their opinion - I would bet most DON'T QUITE KNOW WHAT TO SAY, OR HOW TO PHRASE IT.

AFTERALL.... ITS YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT..... YOU DID IT FOR "YOU".... YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

ITS NOT FOR THEM..... and you know People...... they often have not evolved enough to know that we're all connected, and it would be very neighborly to at least acknowledge your hard work. Its a Christian Extreme to care for others..... and in this Country (lets face it) very few people can tear themselves away from their little Idol tech-toys long enough to say HELLO unless its a text, or tweet, or FB like. Its very sad...... people actually run from TRUE CONVERSATION.

To put it bluntly - TODAYS TOM, **** AND HARRY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM RICH & FAMOUS, OR GET THEM THEIR PERSONAL 15 MINUTES OF FAME. :sad: :grumble:

PLUS, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DEALING WITH IN THEIR LIVES THAT MAKES THEM SO DISTANT, AND/OR UNINTERESTED IN YOU & YOUR LIFE. THEY COULD BE MURDERERS.... OR THEY COULD BE PLANNING TO DO GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT IN THEIR SPARE TIME. :explode: :devil: IF WE WATCH THE NEWS WE SEE HOW SICK AND DEMENTED PEOPLE ARE..... ITS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY! :huh:

I WOULD JUST CELEBRATE THE FACT THEY DIDN'T LOL AT YA...... PEOPLE ARE RUTHLESS. :grumble:

WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS...... PEOPLE COULD BE ON DEATHS DOOR AND NOT WANT TO EVEN BREATHE..... LET ALONG GIVE ANYONE A COMPLIMENT.

YOUR BEST RELATIONSHIP IS TO BUILD ONE WITH GOD AND YOUR FAMILY..... YOU ARE BLESSED IF YOU CAN FIND 2 PEOPLE WHO WILL TREAT YOU AS IF YOU MATTER IN THIS WORLD TODAY.

CELEBRATE YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR GOOD RELATIONSHIPS. STAY CENTERED IN YOUR BELIEFS (GOD) AND DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU..... BUT BE FORE-WARNED.... PEOPLE ARE UNPREDICTABLE, STRANGE, AND OFTEN ON THE EDGE... SO THEY OFTEN DISAPPOINT PEOPLE..... AND DON'T CARE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CONSCIENCE.

WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE...... ASK GOD FOR HELP IN BEING THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE, AND TO SOFTEN THE HEARTS OF OTHERS.

ITS A SIGN OF THE TIMES, BUT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE TO SIMPLY ACCEPT POOR BEHAVIORS.

JUST DON'T BE ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE ARE HUMAN..... ITS A LEARNED SKILL.... SOMEBODY TAUGHT THEM, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I MUST TEACH THEM A BETTER WAY. :flowerforyou:

As long as you & I still believe in being kind, generous, and have the capacity to love and reach out to others.... THEN ALL IS NOT LOST.

HANG IN THERE! THIS TOO SHALL PASS..... IT CAME TO PASS. I APPLAUD YOU, AND ON THIS JOURNEY WE LEARN TO EXHALE, AND FORGIVE QUICKLY..... DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN WHEN PEOPLE ACT NASTY. RISE ABOVE IT! AND YES...... ALWAYS BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.

If someone is not willing to give a compliment, why do they make themselves miserable that no one ever gives them one? They then get mad at the world and sit there all bitter if someone actually receives praise from others. Then when that person walks in the room they just sit there not saying a word. Pretty pathetic.

Do you perhaps live under a bridge and have a belly jewel? Friendly neighborhood guess.
  • stephenryan758
    Options

SO why do you continue to read this thread then?
  • sassyjae21
    Options

huh? derp
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Ironic post is ironic.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Bored. It's like a train wreck.
  • stephenryan758
    Options

Its called HUMAN NATURE.

Do you perhaps live under a bridge and have a belly jewel? Friendly neighborhood guess.

I don't play role playing games like you Phoenix Warrior.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Because of this..........

I was raised to always be happy for others if I notice them doing positive things. If I see a person make changes in their life for the better, I tell them about it and say Its really nice. I was raised to treat others the way you want to be treated.

The only reasonable explanation that people would not say anything who know you and know you are proud of your accomplishments , is childish behavior. Im not better than anyone else so why would they be jealous of my weight loss? What in the world?

Some people just can't ever be happy for anyone. That is true.

I think right now you are having a hard time being happy for yourself. Enjoy your life...don't worry about what others say or don't say.

When I first started reading this thread I though maybe you were a young high school boy...when I looked at your profile I found out that you were 34. It is time to put away the childish feelings and get on with your life.

Why would you struggle so hard to lose weight...get healthy...and then continue to live in the past?

It is about moving forward...finding the new you...not trying to hold on to what was before.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    OP, do you find it odd that everyone here is dissagreeing with you?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cause its annoying to think about why people would be jealous enough to not comment on someones weight? How old are we here? 10? I'm not better than anyone but this is how I feel.......... Say a person walks in a room and 9 people say "Wow you look great! You lost a lot of weight."

Then you have that one person who won't even say hi to you. As an adult that behavior comes off as "How dare everyone give him attention and not me!"

Very childish and immature.

It sounds like maybe you have a specific issue with someone. It's really not a faux pas to not comment on someone's weight loss or looks in any social setting. IMO it seems a little needy and possibly a sign of low self esteem to get bent out of shape when someone does not. Why the need for validation of your efforts from others?
  • sassyjae21
    Options

can't...look..away..
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Exactly this. I kind of love when kids stumble onto the site and troll everyone. It's terrible but it's so, so entertaining.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Its called HUMAN NATURE.

I don't play role playing games like you Phoenix Warrior.

It's a shame. They're very fun. You could be the bard. Bards always sing tall tales and are usually the first line in case of dragon attacks.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

+1