For anyone that started January 1st (or around then)

Options
One day back in late July or early August I started my path to a healthier life. I had several friends (not on MFP) join me. After a week of "healthier" eating/exercising they didn't lose the "x" amount of pounds they needed so they gave up. Here I am--pushing myself every day to be better and healthier. Now those same people are complimenting me and telling me how they need to join me at the gym. No offense--but I am soooooooooooooo glad I am not them! I never imagined 5 months ago that I would be almost 50lbs lighter. My advice to anyone new---don't give up. If you do, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • lilgingermaiden
    Options
    I started for the New Year. I made it my resolution. And I have not given up yet! Even though I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight (only 10-15lbs), I still want to be active and healthy even after I finish meeting up to my goal.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Very good advice. I've been discouraged too, after starting on 1/2/14, losing 6 lbs in week 1, then gaining 1 lb back in week 2. But NOTHING is going to stop me from pushing on. I didn't gain it all in a month, and I won't lose it that fast either. Congrats on your progress...keep it up!
  • jarheadjo
    Options
    I started again. 10 days of logging in. 2lbs down.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing, thank you for sharing. Truly inspiring!
  • donny612
    donny612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been a member here for quite some time, but this past Monday I decided to actually get serious again. I decided to be conscientous about logging what I eat and seems to be helping. So far I've lost just over 6 lbs. this week. Hope it continues...I still have around 75 lbs to go.
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great advice!

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say thanks. I keep doing the roller coaster diet myself. Now up 30lbs over the last couple years and 58 in 16. So no diet drugs or crap like that. Just good eating and exercise for me. 1-2 pounds a week weight loose is fine. I figure if it comes off slower maybe its something I can maintain.
  • KimEllis41
    KimEllis41 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that's great advice.....i just started my journey to a "new me" 2 weeks ago, I am following an exercise plan as well as a low calorie diet which is a drastic change to my "old" lifestyle....the scale is not moving like I thought it would but I will not give up!!!
  • mariaborden37
    Options
    Thanks!! I need to hear that some times.
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am plugging away one day at a time. It is not so much about the numbers for me, but mindful eating that I can keep up for a lifetime.
  • stevebp
    stevebp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I fall into this category of the January crowd. Eating clean and every business day at the gym and I am already down 11 lbs. My goal at this point for the year is attainable. It is just going to be the year of not drinking that will be the issue.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Great advice!

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

Quoting for the truth and I LOVE THIS! Great job and best to you in 2014
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You guys are all doing amazing. I'm just your average girl. I love all the foods that are laced with calories and hardly any nutrients. I still take it "day by day" and when I'm at the gym I literally take it "minute by minute". I have to. I get too overwhelmed if I think "I have to run 60 minutes?" That just sets me up to fail. If I say "Run one minute, walk one minute"--it doesn't seem too bad and heck--I end up running half of those 60 minutes. I know people have always said to aim high. I feel like with weightloss that can be your failure. Keep realistic goals. One or two pounds don't mean much in the short term....but they add up to a new greater you!

DON'T GIVE UP. If you have a bad day---DON'T GIVE UP!
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I was about to give up and I posted something earlier today stating I have been eating between 1200-1400 calories and exercising 4-5x / week with no results. I will be pushing myself. Thanks.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One day back in late July or early August I started my path to a healthier life. I had several friends (not on MFP) join me. After a week of "healthier" eating/exercising they didn't lose the "x" amount of pounds they needed so they gave up. Here I am--pushing myself every day to be better and healthier. Now those same people are complimenting me and telling me how they need to join me at the gym. No offense--but I am soooooooooooooo glad I am not them! I never imagined 5 months ago that I would be almost 50lbs lighter. My advice to anyone new---don't give up. If you do, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Words of Wisdom!!!
  • jonass45
    Options
    I just started on my trek to lose weight a few days ago. I'm really hoping I can stick to it; several times I have started and then given up. I know its no excuse but my schedule gets a little crazy, which i know everyone's does. I'm feeling really good about this time though... I used to use Lose it! but I've heard better things about MFP. Also i got this handy app called Nike Fit that is UH-mazing :) Good luck to everyone! Push through the hard times, because in the end, it is soooo worth it!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just want to add this--I don't feel I'm a success story. I have friends I met on MFP that have lost WAY more weight than me. I have friends that have kept that weight off for months and even years. Those same people--I have witnessed having bad days--even bad weeks. They don't give up though. Don't quit. Don't be discouraged because you aren't losing weight as fast as you think. Do NOT compare yourself with anyone!

Also....buy and use a food scale. You will not believe how inaccurate the packaging of items are. It blew my mind! lol

Ok...I'm done with my pep talk! Have a great day :)
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. Good for all of us to remember. Thanks!