Weight gain on maintenance?

Options
Hi everyone,

I finally reached my goal weight several days ago so I started eating on maintenance calories this past Tuesday. I only up to them about 150 per day (per Scooby) but yet I have gained three pounds since Tuesday morning. Ugh! It took what seemed like forever to reach my goal weight and now I'm up 3 pounds from it and I don't know why. I have been running my same 4 to 5 miles a day and drinking just as much water, the only change has been my upping of calories. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? I have no idea!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You should go below your goal weight because when you start eating at maintenance you will gain back your stores that were burned during your deficit (water etc etc).. so people try to go 5-10lb past their ideal weight.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You should go below your goal weight because when you start eating at maintenance you will gain back your stores that were burned during your deficit (water etc etc).. so people try to go 5-10lb past their ideal weight.

Same thing happened to me. Maintenance is as hard to learn as proper weight loss. Heed this advice until you figure it out.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal, I tried to go zero deficit/surplus. Then the weight "slowly" started coming back over several months.

I finally found the problem. My portion sizes were approximations. I found examples of under-reporting calories consumed during my weight loss (and no over-reporting). Not a big error, but enough so that when I went to zero on the calories in/calories out........it became a small, consistent surplus.

Now, instead of trying to weigh/measure everything I eat......I just shoot for a 200-300 deficit, to maintain.

P.S.-Once I hit my original goal of H.S. graduation weight, I added 5 more lbs to the goal, as it was obvious that I have a higher %BodyFat now than when I graduated. I figure I'll take 1 to 2 years to loose that last 5 pounds. Maybe the loose skin will tighten up/catch up with the weight loss by then, maybe not. I know tighter skin will take many years to achieve, and never be as good as it once was due to collagen loss in later life.