Recommendations for a New Bike for Me!

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Nashbar, Performance, and REI all have decent "house brand" bikes that could save you a bit of money. I came in to recommend Specialized, though - their road bikes look like they've got a pretty good bang for the buck.

I have a Novara Strada which is the house brand from REI.

It's ok. Bulky, heavy, good for training, but not comfortable, and not set up for long distance riding, or riding with a lot of performance in mind.

I did get it new for $600 on sale though.
  • eyedempotent
    Options
    I've done a good amount of road biking and there are some good suggestions here (and some not so good). Definitely test ride a lot of bikes for your first road bike. Don't just buy the first one you ride. Test ride at different price points as well. It's hard with a first bike though, because sometimes a bike doesn't feel good on the test ride and really it just needs to be adjusted (be sure to budget for a decent bike fitting, probably $50 for a new bike).

The suggestions here for the relaxed geometry bikes are good (cannodale synapse, specialized sequoia or roubaix, etc.). Those are great for comfortable miles. Unless you're looking to commute in rough terrain I'd avoid the cyclocross bikes (big knobby tires, higher center of gravity, etc.). If you're going to do duathlons probably your best bet is a pure road bike. I'd also avoid touring bikes if you're planning on duathlons someday, those are HEAVY (but smooth).

Please, please, please leave plenty of money for accessories. They really add up. You won't be comfortable on long rides without cycling shorts. Jerseys are nice for a host of reasons. Jackets, helmet, sunglasses, water bottles, computers, arm warmers, knee warmers, cycling shoes, gloves, etc. Of course start where you can, don't get overwhelmed by this. But often your enjoyment of the sport will depend more on those accessories than on the bike, at least for your first bike.

The poster above was right that you'll likely need to get your own pedals (if you're going "clipless") and possibly saddle. Note that the plushest saddle often is NOT the most comfortable. I prefer a narrow one for longer rides. If you're fitted right and sitting on the sit bones you don't want to compress soft tissue. Someone mentioned leather saddles. Those are nice after break-in but very heavy, also probably not ideal for duathlons.

You'll almost definitely need new tires, the tires that come with bikes tend to flat very easy and are quite cheap. Then again, I live in goathead territory. You'll also need water bottle cages.

You can also get pretty good deals on old models (be sure they fit thought!) and at some stores like PerformanceBike, REI, etc.

Carbon bikes are more expensive but nicer. What most people do though is buy a cheaper aluminum bike for their first bike. If they stick with the sport and really start to enjoy it then a few years down the road you'll want to upgrade to a really nice bike anyway. You can sell or keep the original. If you didn't stick with the sport then you're not out too much money.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a Scott which I think you can see in my ticker. I'm 5'3" and have an xtra small, so you probably would need a small frame even at 5'7". I bought mine because this one was the best of the lower cost (under 2G) full carbon bikes. I got it from my LBS but got professionally fit at another shop that does the Specialized Body Geometry fittings. A real fitting is an absolute must! The seat will be one of the most crucial parts. This is an area that most people are too modest about and would rather suffer in silence than get help. Get measured properly and try a few out. I'm on my second one, not counting the one that came with the bike that I tossed. I've upgraded almost everything on it now except the bars which are next. After that, I'll eventually be looking to sell it to go towards an upgrade. If you're not looking to spend too much, people are always selling perfectly good starter and mid-grade road bikes so they can upgrade. My bike is only 14 lbs, I can't imagine what yours weighs. Just wait until you see what you're capable of when you don't have to lug around all that weight!!! Your distances are impressive! I completed the MS 150 this past October and my goal is to do a century this year. I would love to see what you accomplish when you get your new bike:) Send a FR if you'd like.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just like others have said, I would go to a few bike shops and get fitted. Test ride a bunch, even different brands, because the geometry varies by brand even if they are the same size in theory.

With threads like this, you will get a ton of opinions or people telling you to buy what they have cause it's awesome, so on that note, I have a Felt AR5 and love it.
  • paulmcintosh
    paulmcintosh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have this bike and i have done 1850km, and still brand new
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    @eyedempotent:

Great first post and thanks for all of the great comments and feedback.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of the recommendations and advice. I will check back in when I have made my selection. Can't wait for Spring to get back outside and at it!!