If you are within your calories, does it matter if you are o

Options
If you are within your designated amount of calories, does it matter if you are over in your fat calories. Will you still lose weight?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Technically, you should still lose, but if you're body isn't getting the right balance of nutrients from the food you're putting in it, it might not let go of the fat it's already stored as easily. Plus, going over the allotted fat regularly will be bad for your health - particularly your heart. You should do your best to keep your consumption within the limits set by MFP.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Depends on your metabolism. If you're me, no sweat. If you're a certain close friend of mine, hang it up. I think the best thing to do is keep tracking over time. If you see that your weight loss seems stalled, you may want to consider whether that's a problem, although you may also wanna keep a little tighter reign on your sugar consumption. Maybe have regular milk instead of chocolate? :drinker:
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ooh I was wondering about that too!!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    IMHO, the fat calories set by MFP are pretty low for most people. Generally, a food can be considered "healthy" if less than 25% of the calories from fat. Also, if you do a lot of intense exercise you may want more fat/carbs in your diet vs. protein. I am currently eating 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein (well, trying anyway) because I have been told by some running experts it is a good ratio for long distance runners.

All in all, I agree with the above poster that everyone's body responds differently. Some of us need more fat than the general population. Also, if you don't get ENOUGH fat, your body will be even more reluctant to let go of the stores you have (seems backwards, I know).

Maybe speak with a nutritionalist or your doctor to determine how much fat to have. Too much IS bad for you and your heart, but having too little is also not good.

Hope that helps.
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I'm over on fats I try to evaluate the good healthy fats vs. the unhealthy fats. For a description of good vs. evil, see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262.