I am starting!

Options
I started my workouts (30ds and walking mostly) and I have completely altered my diet.. I am very excited about starting off well but ive done this before and I end up stopping after a week or so.
any tips on making myself stay healthy and on top of everything?
also, I work best off of motivation! if you want to add me I would love to have people motivate me every day and I could do the same for you :)

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm only on day 61, but logging everything in the morning for the whole day helps me tremendously. I can plan and adjust along the way and if I know I'm doing something special, I'll be able to plan better. It also makes me nervous to see those red numbers, so I am more motivated to get up off my tushy and work out!

Some things I advise:

Take pictures. Front, back, side. You might find them unflattering, but it really, really helps to see the progress in pictures! I take pictures every couple of weeks and definitely each month.

Measure yourself fairly regularly. Sometimes we lose inches instead of pounds so it's a great indicator if you're frustrated with the scale.

Record your NSV's (non-scale victories). My best NSVs so far are my pants falling down during a workout (hahaha) and fitting into jeans that I used to not be able to get up over my thighs! These are great for motivation because they just make us feel good about it all and want more.

Give yourself small goals. A pair of shoes or a tattoo you've been wanting, or maybe a trip to a spa or a manicure are great little rewards for reaching a goal. A lot of people give themselves rewards every 10 pounds or so.

You can do this!!
  • morganwelch165
    Options
    sounds like im on the right track! I started writing down a weeks worth of meal and work out planning because I do better with it all planned out! so far I have been able to stick to it. I posted my pictures on my profile of what I look like now and I am planning to do it again in 10 days. I so badly want to fit into my old jeans again. thats what got me to work out in the first place, going from a size 9 to a size 15. I absolutely hate being the size I am and I would love to get to a nine again (I have large hips and the lowest pant size I got was a 5 and I looked unhealthy, so my goal is to maintain a size nine)....I told my fiance that if I stock to my diet and exercise, then a reward will be a nice dinner on valentines day. it makes him motivate me too!!
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great Job on starting, it can be the hardest part at times. I started about a week ago, and so far have lost 2 lbs! This site really helps.

I'm like you, and after a while my motivation wears out. What I'm doing differently this time is submersing my self in health and fitness and weight loss. I'm making sure that I learn as much as I can about it, I research a lot of different topics everyday but all related to getting and staying healthy. Also making sure I log every thing daily is helping me too as well as having friends on here who can help keep you motivated. When I see someone post that they lost X lbs since last weigh in, it helps keep me on the right track so I can post that as well. I also like to see what other people are eating, it gives me good ideas for my own diet.

The one thing that has been the best for me so far is just retraining myself to love healthy foods. It took me a while, but now I don't want to eat the fattening sugary food because I know what it does to my body. The healthy food are more appealing to me since I want to be healthy. Just remember though, don't restrict yourself. If you cut out your favorite thing for good, its going to make it harder to stick with it, but just remember moderation.

My advice would be to just keep your goal in the fore front of your mind. Everyday remind yourself why your doing this and how good your going to feel when you reach your goal, and of course use this site! take advantage of the forums, there are a lot of people who have lost A LOT of weight and they are very knowledgeable. Be accurate with your logging, even if you had a crap day, we all have those.

And when you feel like you need motivation, message us! I know I'm always on here willing to help, and I have met a few people who are as well. :)

You'll do great!
  • morganwelch165
    Options
    I feel great already. about a month ago I cut out soda and lost 5 pounds. thats what motivated me to diet, it made me feel so gross to know that soda effected me that much. I also have a problem with sleeping too much. I can easily sleep twelve hours. but for the last week I set my alarm and make sure I sleep in no later then 10am and with that it has motivated me to go for morning walks and stay up during the day! loosing weight has become my obsession and I hope it stays that way for awhile!
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    Keeping a log of everything that I eat and an exercise log really helps me. But most importantly is too have people around me who support me and hold me accountable.